Default Basic questions from a newbie

Hi all
    I have many basic questions maybe some of you can answer.
    My 19 yr old son is taking the FF test in the Atlanta area. This is his first time and we do not know any Firefighters so here goes:

About what percent passes the test? If you don't pass I assume you can take it again.
    Do all areas only test once a year?
    Every county has a separate test? It seems like a statewide test would make more sense. You could take it once and if you pass apply anywhere. Are different county/city tests similiar? Is it pass/fail or does your score help in the hiring process.Did most of you test alot of places before getting hired?
    If you pass do you automatically move on or do they only move on the amount they are looking to hire?
    If they're only hiring say 5 people what happens to the rest is there a wait list for the next time they hire or do they go with all new applicants every year?
    My son is in college right now just taking basic liberal arts/business courses, are there courses anyone recommends that would help him to get hired or after becoming a firefighter?
    Does being only 19 hurt his chances, does college help his chances?
    Should I have picked "noseyfirefightermom" as a user name?
    Thanks to anyone who replies (and thanks for being a firefighter!)

Forum Member

Ok Mom here goes some information, hopefully to some use.
    Not sure on the Atlanta area but here is some general information:
    Each jurisdication will have its own test. Tests are not given every year but on as needed basis.Several departments might test using the same test.
    Tests are similar from department to department.Test results will help establish a hiring list. That list is good for a specific time period,which will vary from department to department.I believe the FDNY list is good for 3 years, my department is 1 year.If the department exaust the list a new test will be given.The score on a written exam will help determine where you are on the list.College,work and experience are sometimes a factor also.
    His age can be a help for some departments and a hinderence to others it will depend on a lot of factors. Some departments pefer young firefighters because they can teach them the proper way, others prefer more experience.
    Hope this helps, if this is the career he wants he has to work at it.
    I tested for several departments before getting hired. I have been told by several people that West Georgia Tech in LaGrange has a good fire science program.

thanks for the info

Forum Member

Keep reading, you can gain a lot of information from these forums and it changes every day.

Forum Member

Default Information

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter
    http://eatstress.com/firefighterbook.htm

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Fire Mom

Can you say what department he is takingthe test for. I work in the Atlanta area and could possibly help him out. Let me know.

Be safe

Hi mom,

Kjohn23 was very correct in his response, The year I was hired I had spent $6,000 in air fare and hotel costs testing around the united states, let me give you this bit of information. You need to have an edge, I have tested with as few as 400 people and as many as 4500. Unless your a testing genius there is no way to compete. I am not a veteran, so I got my degree in fire science to compete, thats an extra 5-10 points on the test, The other thing that will greatly increase your odds is being a paramedic. Being a paramedic will enable you to test with 8-20 people vs 800-5000 and you'll make more money. When it comes down to it the more education you can recieve the better your chances at getting hired are. It's the best job in world, but it is also one of the hardest to obtain.

Good luck! you can do it.
    Oh yeah the other key is PHYSICAL FITNESS.

Forum Member

I would get a testing booklet to make sure he gets a hundred on the written and its good at explaining the process and getting to know the questions. Good ones are written by Barrons and Arco, and usually the place testing will give a study guide. Physical fitness is absolutely crucial he will not get hired if he is out of shape. Fitness is more cardio and endurance oriented versus big a brawny. Definetly stay with college the reason being is it can help make him more competive when moving up the ranks. Some cities make it mandatory,and it also will help him working a good second job if he needs to. Firefighters don't exactly make a ton of money unfortunately. Hopefully everything works out we are all in the same boat.

Forum Member

Default What?

thats an extra 5-10 points on the test
    I've never heard of a degree getting you extra points in the hiring process?????

Forum Member

Mom:

With all due respect, you sound like a truly caring and supportive parent. A quick question though... is there some reason your son isn't participating here? If there is any way possible for him to sit down and actively search the archives by himself, it would be time well spent - and something that nobody else can or should be doing for him.

Best Wishes,

-Brian-
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Default Re: Fire Mom

Originally posted by fdofficer4
    Can you say what department he is takingthe test for. I work in the Atlanta area and could possibly help him out. Let me know.

Be safe
    He tested in Cobb County on the 13th.
    (I'm sure he'll test some other places but he is in college in South GA right now)

Originally posted by LAFDPSO
    Mom:

With all due respect, you sound like a truly caring and supportive parent. A quick question though... is there some reason your son isn't participating here? If there is any way possible for him to sit down and actively search the archives by himself, it would be time well spent - and something that nobody else can or should be doing for him.

Best Wishes,

-Brian-
    No problem, I found this board (he is away at college and came home just to test and go back)I don't know much about being a Firefighter except what I found on the web and I'm curious (or nosey!)I want to find out what type of challenges he will face (and to convince him he should stay in college while looking/testing). He doesn't know I posted here(and I'll deny it if he thinks this is me )
    Who knows he may already be posting or lurking here!

get him on firehouse, it helped me

Permanently Removed

Default 2 cents...

Mom- I dont know if you have seen them yet, but 2 great
    sites I have been posting up in here are-

www.firecareers.com (go to the forums) and
    www.eatstress.com

Trust me, they are worth the look.

Thread Information