Thread: Haz-Mat advice

Post Haz-Mat advice

Sorry If this Sounds Stupid or unexsperinced, but what advice do you have for someone who is trying to get on a haz-mat team, I will be starting training late next year, What are some Pros, Cons, That sort of thing?

--Scott

MembersZone Subscriber

The benefits of being on the hazmat team vary with the way the team is staffed. My dept. hazmat team is assigned to one station. There are 7 people per shift, 4 on a truck company and 3 on the engine. Both units respond together for a hazmat call

We get 5.5% premium pay for being assigned to the team. I am currently assigned to the truck company. Normally the truck spots in my department go are staffed by the most senior firefighters. Because of the hazmat requirement, I was able to be assigned to the truck sooner than most firefighters.

Another benefit is the increased knowledge you have about hazmat. This may save your *** some day. Most people in my dept. say being on hazmat is dangerous but I think it is safer to be on the team when bad things are happening because we have the equipment and training to handle it.

Mike Teague

I heard the quote:
    A haz-mat tech is little more that a make-shift mechinanic
    That to be on the HAz-Mat team you will encountor adnormal situations where sometimes the classes you took didn't really cover and then in thouse siuations you have to be an inovative thinker. I know the county HAz-Mat team here is staffed w/ all vounenteers who quaify and the miniam requirments is an NC - LVL 1 and 2 and a 1403 and you must be 18.
    Do you more out on being on a hazmat team than just FF alone??

--Scott

MembersZone Subscriber

Mostly, I like the additional challenge of Hazmat. Its a different realm from firefighting. In some ways Hazmat is in the forefront of emergency services. We were the first to have respiratory standards and two in/two out. It is definitely where the bleeding edge of technology is now.

Thread Information