MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oral Boards - how to dress?

i'm up for a volunteer position. i've passed the ladder climb, written, and CPAT.
    next question: do i wear a suit and tie to oral boards?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I wore shirt, tie, jacket to my oral board. It was the first thing they mentioned and they were impressed. I also made sure to wear my Army dress shoes with a high shine on them. If you have any, polish em' up. They notice when you work at it !

Good Luck,
    BKE
    09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

Forum Member

Default Attire

The strongest non-verbal statement you can make in the oral board is what you wear. It is time to step up and make the investment.

Men: Do wear a wool suit in dark blue or gray. Pinstripes are fine, but avoid brown, black, or high fashion brightly colored suits. Sport coats or blazers are out, so is polyester. Tie should be in a solid color such as navy, red, maroon, yellow stripe, or paisley print. Wear a white, off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!

Don't: Wear casual or novelty watches, too much jewelry, monograms, religious, political, or fraternity affiliation accessories. Beards are out; mustaches are a gray area. When in doubt, shave it off. Donít wear cell phones, pagers or any other electronic leases.

Reply: Candidates will tell me that I don't have a suit or the money to by a nice suit for my oral board. My advice. Rent one and look and feel like the professional you want to be. Dress for success!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter
    http://eatstress.com/firefighterbook.htm

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks Captain

I very much appreciate your reply. Thankfully, I've got three great
    suits in my closet - and it will be nice to pull one out again. I'm
    so glad to also get the reminder to polish the shoes as well.
    Thanks. Cheers all.

Default Dress for the interview

Personnaly I would dress in a suit and tie.Remeber the first impression is the longest impression.I go by this but if you were to interview at my department wearing what is comfortable works best. Come prepared - if you know the criteria for the interview bring what you need. If not known bring everything. I bring my briefcase which has a copy of my resume,copies of my credentials,writing paper,pens and pencils.

Thread Information