Thread: Huricanes

Forum Member

Default Huricanes

Ivan is coming to pay our area a visit. Any suggestions for after the storm what works? What to avoid?I have not been this close to one this big. What help from FEMA can we expect?

Forum Member

Well I can think of a few things to do...

Throw some 5 inch steel pipe behind all your doors. If not, your gonna lose them. The pipe may help a little to keep them from acting like kites. Board up all your other windows...make sure theres plenty of gas in the generator...and if you can, get the hell out of its way.

Exclamation Hurricanes

Hurricane Ivan is possibly going to pose a problem for Alabama also..we'll have to just wait and see..

makes good girls go bad

We had to evac because of Frances. ( I live in Satellite Beach, Brevard County) Take NO chances, buy Ply-Lox if you can, get a generator, food, and entertainment for at least a week, and evacuate!! DO NOT attempt to ride it out
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

hmmm...well...honestly..I have been in 8 Hurricanes and 1 Typhoon...most during my time in the military....We prepared by stocking up on a-lot of beer and beef...we always had "hurricane parties" because the base would be "sealed" and no-one could get out...

BUT....

Bottled Water....and fill up the tub. Even if you evac..you'll need it when you return.

Dry Ice...for you perishable food...you could also just cook everything and eat left overs for a month...have a hurricane pre-party to get rid of the stuff that WILL go bad...because you WILL ose power..

FUEL, FUEL, FUEL....you should have invested in used GI Jerry Cans... www.cheaperthandirt.com , www.sportsmansguide.com, www.colemans.com

batteries...self explanitory

first aid stuff...asprin, pepto, BLS...etc etc...

CHOW, CHOW, CHOW...nonperishables...military MREs work well...the individuals and the squad meals...they come with thier own heaters....bady food, powdered milk...not the real stuff...remember you have no power...

Valuables...take them with you...documents, money, rings...etc...

Get the "F" out of dodge.....the smartest thing to do

Good Luck....and stay low!
    Last edited by VinnieB; 09-14-2004 at 10:57 PM.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Good advice for the non fire fighters, but what about the firefighters having to ride the storm out. I know we are not
    leaving the station when winds exceed 50mph.Going on duty at 0700 tommrow do not know when I will post again. Hopefully it will be west of us but it has changed projected path again.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got back from our final planning session.

All you guys on the coast, keep your heads down and try to kill it off for us mid-state guys.

Unless it turns, we'll get the worst through here around sunset Thursday and I don't think it will be very much fun.
    Last edited by EFD840; 09-15-2004 at 12:16 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Best of luck to y'all down there. Highest winds I've seen in my part of the world (oregon) were about 85....can't imagine what 140 would be.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Forum Member

Just as when Frances came thru Ga, keep your head down until on a call, and then stay as low as you can to the ground... AND WATCH THOSE FALLING TREES AND FLYING DEBRIS. Remember scene saftey the most... oh and beware of the snakes, they like this just about as much you do

MembersZone Subscriber

If you’re planning on staying in the house

Board up the windows, (make sure you drill at least (4) 1" holes in the center).

Fill the bath tubs, sinks etc with water, resist from opening the doors to look outside.

Watch and listen to the news/radio.

ID the strongest point in the house (Bathroom etc.) for a safe haven in the event things go south.

Do not hook up the generator to your house. Allot of people try to supply their house with their power generators and end up catching their house on fire, electrocuting themselves or worse.

If you’re in the fire house, adhere to the response guidelines for hurricane response. A lot of fire departments try and go out in the community to early to try and help and end up needing help themselves.

Stay Safe

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Ivan has already caused one death in Florida due to a tornado spawned off the leading edge of the storm.

Hope you all stay safe.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Here on the Alabama Gulf Coast (Orange Beach) we have deployed most of our apparatus north of the ICW, off the Island. The apparatus left here in the city (two reserve pumpers) have been dispersed within the city.

Our plan is to be able to do a rapid damage assessment as soon as possible & safe to do so. When is is safe to bring back crews and trucks, we will go into recovery mode. As always, our first priority will be the safety of our people.
    Capt. K

Thread Information