Forum Member

Default Is this to code??

ok, i am by know means a fire inspector or anything like that, but, while i was home from college over labor day weekend, i was in a sports bar with a friend, it was sunday night, and this place shuts down at midnight, they called out last call at 2320 hrs. and than they walked around the bar and locked all the doors. The only door that anyone could get out was the back door. the other two doors had no panic bar on them. Can they do that? It is by no means a huge bar, but, if there were a bunch of people in there, and something did break out, it could cause problems.

Forum Member

Remember "The Station" in Warwick Rhode Island?

How about the Coconut Grove in Boston?

How about the Happyland club in NYC?

Do you have a cell phone with you? Instead of entering the phone number of the "hottie" with the big boobs you met at last call, call the FD and report the actions of the ownership. I am sure that they can arrange to have an "on the spot" inspection by the companies on duty and have the liquor licensed pulled and fines levied within a short period of time for sheer stupidity.

"Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Yep.. I'd call the FD out......... That just reeks of trouble........

Forum Member

I am a member of that FD. We do not have duty crews, we are all volunteer. I did not say anything because it was not appropriate for me to represent my deparment at that particular time. not that i was stumbling drunk, but i can in no way represent my department after consuming alcohol, even if it was one beer.

MembersZone Subscriber

being a fellow vollie, i have much respect for you intentions in that you didnt want to disrespect the dept by being drunk. the issue of disrespecting our dept has been a big issue the past few months and its great to hear someone say the same things that we have been preaching.

i can see both sides of the fence on this one. probly what i would have done here was the next day, after the hangover, tell a officer about what you saw that night. if you want, tell him you had a few drinks, but thats your bussiness if you do drink or not. what you saw may end up being a code violation and you could save someone's life in the end.

its always better to be safe than sorry

Forum Member

I guess i am just going to talk to my chief about it, and see what courses of action he wants to take, normally i would be more than happy to help, but i am 300 miles away at school, so there is not much i can do to help him. Thanks for the replies guys, Ryan

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Do you have a cell phone with you? Instead of entering the phone number of the "hottie" with the big boobs you met at last call, call the FD and report the actions of the ownership.
    does your town have a code enforcement officer? how about a fire prevention beureu? who does the fire inspections for your town? I can understand you not wanting to represent your dept while drunk, but there can be a big difference between filing a formal complaint and telling the inspector "psst, this is what is happening at this bar, I think it might be a good idea for you to check it out."

and then to can introduce the hottie with the big boobs to the rest of the department as the girl you met while at the bar while having a good time off duty
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I dont think we have a code enforcement officer at all. The fire prevention bureau basically does just public education, i should know, i have helped for the past three years, The only inspector i know of is the city building inspector, and it seems like all they do is check on the guys with building permits.
    I have called the cops before to report people parked in front of fire hydrants, and basically been blown off, they seem to think they have better things to do. Dont get me wrong, i like most of the cops in town, but sometimes they act pretty high and mighty.

I just need to make some calls back home to the chief and find out what he wants to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll try to make this plain and simple.

All required exits must be marked with an illuminated exit sign. Any door marked with an exit sign, required or not, must be maintained openable without the use of a key or other remote device. If your local wateringhole is in violation, it is up to you as a sworn firefighter to see that the authority with juristiction in this matter is made aware.

Be it a fire marshalls office, local police or other, see to it the notification is made and investigated as it is occuring. This will make you an ********* in many eyes but you will have mitigated a dangerous situation. Stick with your gut. By posting this question, you have already acknowledged it is wrong. Now follow through!

Forum Member

Default Re: Is this to code??

Originally posted by Svfman
    ok, i am by know means a fire inspector or anything like that, but, while i was home from college over labor day weekend, i was in a sports bar with a friend, it was sunday night, and this place shuts down at midnight, they called out last call at 2320 hrs. and than they walked around the bar and locked all the doors. The only door that anyone could get out was the back door. the other two doors had no panic bar on them. Can they do that? It is by no means a huge bar, but, if there were a bunch of people in there, and something did break out, it could cause problems.
    I'm an inspector, and the answer would be NO.

Dave

Thread Information