MembersZone Subscriber

Default age; what's too old?

I'm just starting to peer in the fire service window. I'm currently 29. For about the past ten years I've worked in aviation ground servicing (i.e. lavs, loading, unloading, etc.) and the past six has been spent refueling aircraft. Through my work I was sent to EMT training about five years ago and for the most part remained current untill last year; attending CE courses when my schedule permitted. I'm currently working on updating my BLS/HCP card through the AHA online. However, I do not have any real world experience. I have a strong desire to serve the community, which comes from about twenty years of Boy Scout involvement. However, this is my concern: I've come to understand a lot of departments like or would like candidates to have EMT/Paramedic experience. Knowing that, if I were to do the AMR thing for lets say two or three years or so. That would put me at around 31 to 33 or 34 range of age. Would most fire depatments look at me as being too old to bring on as fire fighter/paramedic? -- Any advice would greatfully appreciated. Thank You and God Bless!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Too Old???

One of my many heroes, a man by the name of Roy Davis spent 26 years in the Air Force as a C-141/C-135 pilot and an administrator in the Air Force ROTC program. Roy retired in 1992 as a Colonel, and two years later, was hired by Tacoma WA fire department as a rookie firefighter.
    Is he capable? You Bet! He's the current over 60 World Champion in the "toughest two minutes in Sports" - The Firefighter Combat Challenge.
    I don't believe age matters in our business... or rather, the more of it you have, the better of you are. Experience in life matters - fitness ability matters. And from what Iíve read about you, you have plenty of experience that would be useful to my ARFF department (knowledge of fuels, runway systems, radio procedures, aircraft, etc...) You'd make an excellent candidate in our interview!
    Donít worry about ageÖ
    Good Luck!
    WILD MAN
    www.whitehorsecombat.com
    "Toughest two minutes in sports!"
    If you want to be hard - you have to train hard!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Thank you Wildman 51, thank you very much. And to be honest I hadn't really gave much thought to ARFF; guess I thought it would be out of my reach. You are right though I do have a decent amount of airport savvy, and it ain't like I haven't been around enough jet fuel or avgas in my day!! Thanks again for both the inspiration and for getting the juices flowwing! -Clint

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Sky,
    you are never too old, although I did try to test in Montana last year and from what I understand the age cut off limit was 34 at time of testing, which needless to say blew me out of the water by 4 months
    but do not be discouraged, if you are 29 there is plenty of time yet, I understand they test a lot of cities at once, (or at least they did when I applied),My advice, get your Pre-Reqs' done and go to medic school, get connected with a voulenteer dept, or paid part time, get the training you need, FF-I ect. and go for it!

Thread Information