Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Visits to FDNY firehouses

I'm really bummed about the new policy that FDNY firehouses are not allowed to have visitors. How serious are they about this? Are firefighters turning away all visitors, or is it okay if you phone ahead? My family and I have had a number of wonderful experiences at New York City firehouses. We've been invited inside the houses to see some very moving memorials, we've had an officer explain how the thermal imaging camera is used, we've collected patches from numerous firehouses, we had a great tour of a rescue rig, etc. The guys really seem to enjoy having visitors, and it seems a shame if they're having to turn people away. As always, the powers-that-be are overreacting and punishing everyone for the alleged misdeads of a few. Hopefully, after the hoopla dies down, this BS will stop.

Brenda

I'm really bummed about the new policy that FDNY firehouses are not allowed to have visitors.
    News to me.

Forum Member

News to me as well! I went down about 3-4 weeks ago and hung out at a friends firehouse.
    Last edited by firefiftyfive; 09-15-2004 at 09:47 PM.

Apparently you were not visiting the "flop rooms" which apparently brought on all of this. My FDNY friend tells me things are very tense at the moment, but she seemed confident that it would calm down eventually.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

I think he was referring to yuour post E229LT in SamsonFCDES's post about going to NYC.

Currently, regulations have been tightened up. Don't be suprised if you are unable to stay very long. I would forget about a ride along, it won't happen.

Take none of this as an insult and be sure you meet the officer on duty ASAP, don't let him meet you and ask, "who the hell is this" as you're hanging with the brothers.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...5&pagenumber=1

I see. To clarify, visits are allowed as they have always been, but there are regulations that must be followed. A request and permission must be granted in advance.

My post addressed an unannounced visit and the possibility of it being cut short.

Question

Hope it is not to go on!
    I was planning a tour in USA, for now in New York, with the main purpose to visit some firehouse! Now I must postpone it, have no money for two travels.
    Of course, hope things to go normal mainly for you all.
    (And wish to visit also firehouses in other regions of USA)

ciao!
    arseverse

Forum Member

There's always been restrictions in the Regs for visitors ( visitors arnt supposed to be allowed past housewatch for example) The job is hot and heavy right now enforcing regulations, thats all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by E229Lt
    I see. To clarify, visits are allowed as they have always been, but there are regulations that must be followed. A request and permission must be granted in advance.

My post addressed an unannounced visit and the possibility of it being cut short.
    Exceptions have been known to be made for unannounced Brothers dropping in from Australia - I think the deal was that I had to look after the dinner and stop it burning while the guys kept running calls? or something like that? From memory it was something like 4 calls while dinner was cooking, and then another while trying to eat.

Actually I think they just took pity on me because I was freezing my bollocks off (Australian summer is a LOT warmer than a NYC winter). Their hospitality was much appreciated - thanks guys!

Another visit might not be too far away either
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 09-17-2004 at 09:18 AM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

The guys are still wondering why the meal tasted like Kangaroo.

MembersZone Subscriber

...and the Bronx Zoo is still trying to figure out why one of their kangaroos mysteriously disappeared at about the same time.

The Colonel has his 13 herbs and spices, I just use roo

Normally roo is a bit tough, but the usual way of killing a roo Down Under is to hit it with your SUV at about 60mph - usually tenderises it quite nicely

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by E229Lt
    The guys are still wondering why the meal tasted like Kangaroo.
    I'll be sure to bring some crocodile tail cutlets and fresh abalone steaks with me next time I visit

Thread Information