Thread: Just a few ?'s

Default Just a few ?'s

I am 19 years old and going to go do the cpat test and i had asked a few local volunters what would be a good way to prepare for this test and they cant give me any help cause they a are a bunch of hillbilly firemen so a little advice would be cool guy's thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

hey kid, you better watch what you say around here. you pulling that hillbilly junk isnt going to do you any favors around here. im sure you have your reasons, but no need to bring them here.

Now that we've cleared up the hillbilly thing, a few thoughts on agility test preparation.
    Most agility tests are aimed at finding candidates that posess both power and strength, or in a different wording, strength and endurance.
    You have to tailor your workouts to maximize both cardiovascular endurance and dynamic strength. This is what makes firefighting so challenging. We need to have the ability to lift and carry a heavy victim for a short distance, but also have the endurance to work on a fire ground doing moderate activity without using too much air from the SCBA.
    You need to achieve a baseline level of aerobic endurance- ie run at a moderate pace for at least 30-45 minutes (in the 8:00 or less per mile pace) at least 3-4 times a week. Then start working in strength training. Some would recommend weight training, which works. I am a proponent of doing "real world" workouts as much as possible. Set up a course that involves pulling (a tire on the ground 50 feet), carrying (2, 5 gallon buckets full of sand or rocks), stairs with weight( run up and down stairs while holding a 30 lb dumbell in each hand, or while carring a 45 lb plate against your chest), and simulate a hoisting station ( drop a rope with a tire on it off a balcony or exterior stair landing, and hoist it up and down. Run through the "course" as many times as possible at 80-90% of your max excertion.
    Try to do excercises that develop your grip strength- hold the heaviest weight you can pick up in each hand for as long as you can X3 reps.Pull ups and chin ups are EXCELLENT excercises for building power and grip strength.
    Use the local track and do a sprint/jog workout with strength excercises as well:
    Jog 1 lap (1/4 mile)
    Do 25 pushups, 25 situps
    Do a 100 yard sprint
    Jog 1 lap
    Sprint 2-3 flights of stairs with weight
    Do a 75 yard sprint
    Jog 1 lap
    Do 10 pullups/chinups
    Do a 50 yard sprint
    etc, etc etc
    Try to get into the rythm of heavy excertion followed by moderate excertion, over and over. This is the usual pattern of most Agility Tests, and often the work seen at most fires.
    As always, see a physician prior to any type of physical fitness program, and the recommendations I make are solely examples, and I am not responsible for any injuries you might cause yourself!
    etc, etc
    Good Luck

Default thanx

I really appreciate your help telling me how to prepare i got post and that day went out and set up my little course and ran through it but i got a big rig tire to pull is that too much and two 60 lb buckets of concrete but the stairs thing is a problem because there isnt to msny places with enough stairs so is there a substitute for those if you could tell me that would be great and let me know if i am over doing it with the tire or the buckets thanx again>>>>>>>

you guys can always email me advice too jacp@sbcglobal.net

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Hey, Powell, look on the bottom row of your keyboard. See that key with the little dot on it? It's a period. Try inserting a few in your posts, it works wonders.

By the way, I'm with a small, rural, all-volunteer department. Does that make me a hillbilly fireman? You're relatively new here, I'd advise you to mind your tone. There's a lot of good advice and info to be gained here, and it's not all from the big-city guys. You won't get a lot of help (or do very well in your career) with an attitude like that.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 09-21-2004 at 09:33 AM.

Ok guys, he's apologized, let it go.
    Without stairs to run, wind sprints are an excellent alternative. A 25 yard sprint is close in excertion a flight of stairs, just remember to push yourself.
    The heavier weights you train with the easier the actual test will be, although some believe in "muscle memory" training, which means training with the actual loads you'll be placing on the body. If the test is a timed event with higher scores for faster times, muscle memory becomes important.
    Good Luck

Default Thanks .......

Hey man thanks again for all the help. With that said i am glad that you accepted my apology.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default almighty stair stepper

Do you have access to a stair stepper? (rec center, high school, college, gym) I would do 5 minutes intervals with two 45 plates in hand. Drop them for 5 minutes and continue stepping. Then grab the plates and repeat this 4 or 5 times. This will build your legs, back, and shoulder muscles and stamina at the same time. The test will be fairly easy if you can do this routine for 25 to 30 minutes straight. Good luck

FFLong
    Proud Volunteer Firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default back off and get in the gym

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 11:19 PM.

Thread Information