MembersZone Subscriber

Default Apparatus Purchasing Question 2

I guess I did not make myself clear. I am not looking for help on how to spec out trucks or anything like that. I am just looking for your experience with any of those makes of apparatus. It was late and I apologize but that is what I am looking for. Just what you think of your apparatus if you have any of the makes. U.S. Tanker, Midwest, or Danko. Thanks Again

MembersZone Subscriber

Although I have heard of them, I am not too familiar with any of the apparatus companies that you mentioned. What about Seagrave, Pierce, American Lafrance, E-One, or Sutphen? Don't forget about these guys. There are way too many fly by night companies or companies that do not provide a quality piece of apparatus. Stay away from the joe-joe companies and take a look at the major players. Here are a few of them.

Pierce Tanker

Pierce Tanker Pumper

E-One Tankers

Seagrave Pumper Tankers

Seagrave Tankers

American LaFrance Tankers

Couple questions I have....

Is the spec for your new trucks done? Did you put certain things in the spec so that the company YOU GUYS WANT to build it is the only company that can meet the spec?
    Last edited by SIGNAL99COM; 09-17-2004 at 11:17 AM.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

Sometimes, its the "major players" trucks that have the most problems, and the "joe-joe" companies that build the better trucks...
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have the Danko brand tanker. But we do have a Smeal Tanker which is sold by Danko and I can't think of any major problems that we have had with it in the 13 years that we have had it. It has been a real good truck for us.

You may also want to take a look at Central States at www.centralfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

we have a few trucks that we have bought through danko. everytime that we have had something come up, they were always there with some solution to the problem. im not familiar with the other 2, but i can give my nod of faith to danko.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Pearland, TX & Cy Fair TX both recently purchased US Tanker. Both are quite happy with the results. I haven't heard anything about the others, good or bad.

Unhappy apparatus builders

Careful what you ask for. Especially if you spec "tight" to a specific manufacturer. That can come back at you if the competitors recognize it. You have a potential of being attacked by attourneys representing the competitor. They will force a more general spec. to work with and if they hit low bid with some "minor" exceptions you may be stuck with something less than desired by city managers.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not true at all. You be specific as you want. A city close by here built a spec requiring a Spartan Chassis. The Big Ones don't use Spartan Chassis by their own choice. Yes, they build their own chassis, so they don't use Spartan, which is their choice. A perfectly legal manuever. Same with spec'ing 13" frame rails will make you specific to Pierce, 100' Aluminim aerial with A Frame outriggers will make you an E-One, etc, etc. You can be as vague or as specific as you want in your spec.

But that being said, be as specific as you can. Don't ask for the NFPA standard truck, only to find your discharges aren't where you want them, just where the manufacturer put them because that's where everyone else put them. There's not too much fancy stuff that can be done with a tanker as compared to a pumper or pumper-tanker, but make sure the truck will be usable. Visit as many trucks as you can, look at drawings, look at the new delivery sites and call up those that are too far to visit. Ask:

- What do you really like about how you built it?
    - What would you change now that you've been using it?
    - Did you think about doing ____ and why did or didn't you?

The best lessons learned are those that were learned by other people and shared. That way you don't make the same mistakes as someone else. If you're going to have the truck for 10-15 years, might as well make it usable.

Thread Information