Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grant Description

To start with i'm sure the nice people on the FEMA help line would be able to answer all these questions. But rather than sit on hold for awhile or call them just yet i figured i would give it a shot on here. This is my second year writing the grant for this department and it looks pretty good that we may get it as we recieved the 1199a and questions 2 weeks ago. So this leads me to these questions.

When i wrote the grant this year i put under the item description specific models and manufactures of equipment. Why? I'm not sure i just put them becuase that is what I had for description. For example for portable radio's my original request was for a Kenwood 272 portable radio. Recently a vertex dealer contacted me and shot me some great prices on radios that met the same spec's. Does anyone know how this would be handled or has anyone had experience with this area.

Also i recently have been approached by a company i had a quote from on if i would be interested selling products for them. Now the issue comes in that if i they are chosen for the grant i am afraid that someone will cry fowl, even though this has no impact on whether they get the sale or not. I have already informed the chief that i will probably start selling for them in the near future and that he would need to make the determination on the grant items. Has anyone had this issue arrise before? If so, how was it handled?

Any help is appreciated. Stay Safe!

WR
    www.schaefervillefire.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but, I'm pretty sure FEMA does not care what "name brand" product or piece of equipment you buy. They just approve the general category. Say, if you put in for 30 sets of Globe turnout gear, they don't care if its Morning Pride or what ever, they just approved for you to buy 30 sets of gear. Same should be true for the radios. Like us, we put in for 23 Scott 30 minute SCBA's. I'll be upgrading these 23 to 45 minute and adding integrated accountability because of the great deal we have gotten on them. As far as your salesman thing, I don't know. Someone else will have to pipe in there. Seems to me its between you and the dept. vs. between you and FEMA. I believe you do have to have a minimum of 2 quotes though if your department doesn't have a purchasing policy. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok a new development thats goes along with this. I recently discovered i could get a new repeater for about the same price as my base unit i had originally applied for. While this would not be a viable change as our tower is not high enough to make a difference, I recently found out i may be able to get a nearly new tower from the power plant i work for. So now this becomes a viable option. If i use the repeater for the base unit would i be able to make this change in my grant? Anyone know? Or am i pushing my luck on this.

WR
    www.schaefervillefire.net

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As long as the same initial goal of improved communications is satisfied, and you're not asking for more money, they're pretty liberal with changes. Same reason that changing brands doesn't matter either. I don't see it being a problem. Just keep them in the loop from the beginning and it will make things easier all along.

Forum Member

I am a new member to the forum, not so new to the grant world. I have had recent success with AFG but have had more success on state grants. This year we are going after an apparatus acquisition. Going after a 1500 gallon 1250 pump apparatus with full compliments of compartments. Any tips or example narratives would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information