Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speech help

Default Speech help

I have to give an informative speech for my college speech class. I'd like to give a speech on the different kind of vehicles that fire departments use, what they are used for, and what kind of eqipment they carry, etc. Thanks.

Jason

Jason, the idea is pretty good, but you might be cautious of who your audience is, as you don't want to bore them too much with a simple description of tools & trucks. I DO agree that something important to you like the fire service certainly has its place in a public speaking situation. Let's face it, most people don't understand why 4 pieces of apparatus show up at a car crash, or why a full first alarm is filled for a box alarm. Be sure to add some variety to the speech, but certainly keep it simple enough for others NOT in our chosen profession. A couple questions I have... is this a fire science program or just your public speaking class in another college program? (That tells us a lot about who you must write your speech to) How long of a speech is it? I recall doing these things & not being allowed more than 5-10 minutes. Another tip that we had for doing speeches is to get yourself totally into character by dressing the part. Are you part of a FD where you can use (clean) bunker pants & your dept t-shirt in delivering the speech? Props CAN be good, so long as they're not distracting. Whatever you can do to make yourself project the information in a forceful way. Best of luck, and please tell us how it turns out!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thanks for the reply. The speech time is about 5 minutes long. I'm pretty new to the fire service. I'm in the process of becoming a volunteer until I get finished with all my schooling. I'm still waiting for my paper work to go through. What are the most common apparatus found in fire departments and what are they used for and generally carry? Thanks for your help. This is my first speech I'm giving in this class so I'm going to be really nervous. It's just a regular speech class for a two year AA degree. I'll keep everyone up to date on the outcome of my speech.

Jason

Its going to be tuff doing a speech on somthing you dont do. If you are, you might want to keep it simple, you might want to break it down to just an engine and what there duties are, and a truck and what there duties are on a fireground.-- maybe get some pics of str fires, so the people that havent got a clue what your talking about can see visually. a picture is worth a thousand words.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

I'm going to be keeping it very simple and avoid talking about anything really technical. One of the reasons I choose this topic is because firefighting is my choosen career path once I finish my A.A. degree. The pictures are a good idea.

Thread Information