Forum Member

Talking Fire Dept Motorcycle, complete with water, foam, and booster reel....

I suppose this would solve the problem of getting to the scene in heavy traffic. Think NFPA would approve it?

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know about NFPA, but I'm willing to give it a shot! Where do I sign up ?

Forum Member

now isnt that the coolest ?????
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Put that kind of a setup on a Harley, and I'd respond with it.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking did someone say Harley?

http://www.ci.daytona-beach.fl.us/fire/motor_medic.htm

These would be great in San Franciscio. They could be used to respond to box alarm calls and with the high proportion of false alarms, that would save having to send out a full response. The motorcyles cut response time down and also reduce the need to send out a full response to every box alarm call and at the same time, for those calls that are legitimate, they would be able to provide the necessary services.
    Last edited by superchef; 09-19-2004 at 09:49 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brief History of the Motorcycle in the Fire Service

"In 1931, the New York City fire department utilizes motorcycles for response by supervisory personnel. The unique characteristics of the motorcycle enables officers to access cluttered areas surrounding an event."

"In 1992, the Nantucket fire department in Massachusetts institutes a full-time “Motor Medic” program. Nantucket firefighters are the first United States fire department to utilize full-time “Motor Medics.” Specially equipped Harley-Davidson Motorcycles allow the responders to access pedestrian and heavy traffic areas."

"In 1994, the Daytona Beach fire department initiates a “Motor Medic” pilot program utilizing two surplus Kawasaki KZ1000 police motorcycles. The program is instituted to deal with traffic congestion of special events that hinders response of regular department apparatus. The initial program had five riders and the two borrowed motorcycles. Today, the Daytona Beach “Motor Medic Division” has 17 members and four Harley-Davidson Road King Motorcycles. Since its inception in Daytona Beach, the Motor Medics have been embraced by the community and are regularly seen at media promotions, high-profile public relations affairs, police and fire funerals and other fire /EMS related demonstrations."

"In 2003, the Taylor fire department establishes a “Motor Medic” program. The initial program will have six members and a 2003 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. The vehicle will be equipped with Medical Supplies on a first-responder level, including an Automated Defibrillator. The motorcycle will be a prominent fixture at all city events and charity rides. This specialty response unit will also command attention at community-related activities and classes conducted through the EMS, and fire Marshal Divisions. The Taylor fire department becomes the first fire department in the State of Michigan to institute the Motor Medic Program."

They are also in use on the international level in countries such as Brazil and Japan.

Forum Member

Ssweeeeeetttt...

Forum Member

They could be used to respond to box alarm calls and with the high proportion of false alarms, that would save having to send out a full response
    But then the politicians would say you need less fire fighters overall.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    But then the politicians would say you need less fire fighters overall.
    Sad but true. Hell, with the amount false alarm activations we all get, they would cut the busiest cities down to one engine and a motorcycle.
    Last edited by nmfire; 09-20-2004 at 10:56 AM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd love to have one, problem is I'd lay it over by the time I got it out of the building!
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I bet MOTOWN is drooling!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Its kind of like the modern idea of the old hand drawn chemical engines. Without a left swing arm on the rear makes me think Ducatti or BMW. I would empty the tanks completely or have them full, the last thing you want is sloshing around when cornering.
    Last edited by stm4710; 09-20-2004 at 12:25 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

But then the politicians would say you need less fire fighters overall
    Yes. In that I would have to agree. I had a brief moment of madness thinking that the powers that be would see this as a way to improve and expand the fire protection services. Silly me, what I was I thinking. politicians are not logical.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Its not a new idea, there was a motorcycle and sidecar with a lightweight pump in use in the UK in 1926 and one in Hungary in 1928. Amazing how things seem to come around.

Forum Member

Waiting on the tanker and 100' stick models ....... now that would be cool ... LOL

By the way London uses the medic-bike concept as well.

Forum Member

I've seen the Medics on Motorcycles before, but never one with a hose and water tanks(s)........ Definitely different.........

Forum Member

My department has a bicycle rescue program. We just added a ‘utility rescue’ AKA: golf cart.

Forum Member

Found this -
    Attached Images Attached Images  

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking This Just In.........................

A Harley Sportster was seen laying a 5in LDH line down Main St, and a second Harley was hooking up to the Hydrant with it's 1,750 gpm pump........

To add to the Historic, Chief Phil Bond of the Allentown Md. (PGCo) VFD had a Harley for a Chief's Buggy in the late 1960's.

Side note to Tillerman25, anybody down your way remember this?? One story has it that the late Buck White, (Chief 21) ordered Phil to leave a Fire, and stay out of Oxon Hill's district with the Harley.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We have an OLD photo on a bulletin board in the station of a Harley they had for responses at the airport back in the day (the day of busdriver hats and no helmets-like the 30's or 40's). Can't tell if it had any equipment on it although I doubt that even if there was that it wasn't enough to do anything with. That Beemer has a dry clutch that costs about $800 a pop to replace, they should have gone with the Honda ST1300. (sorry Harley fans)
    "Experience is the name everyone gives their mistakes." Oscar Wilde

Forum Member

Default Motorcyles

Richmond, Virginia used motorcycles, with side cars around the early 1900's. They had a fleet of 13 Indians, with chemical extinguishers and hose in a basket. It was reported that it was the largest fleet in the United Staes.

The unit was normally manned by two members. They kept these in service up into the 1930's.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-08-2004 at 02:44 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I found the photo of the one they had here at the airport way back when, looks like it was an Indian with a side car, couple of extinguishers mounted on the front of the side car.

Forum Member

scan it and post it.

Forum Member

HAHAHA scan it with what? We're part of special ops, we don't get anything like scanners!

Thread Information