Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Are Garrity Life Lights worth getting?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are a cheap useful flashlight

20 80.00%
  • No, they are utterly worthless, don't waste your money

5 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Default Are Garrity Life Lights worthwhile?

Here is a question for all your experienced veterans. Are those Garrity life lights (the small disposable ones that people put on their helmets) worth getting? I know one guy who swears by them, and says they greatly increas visibilty in both dark areas and smokey rooms, and others that say they are worthless. the generally cost $3-$5, depending on where you get them, so I figure it's not that much of a loss if it doesn't work so well. any real world experiences for or against them?

for those that don't know, this is what one looks like, here is a picure taken from thefirestore.com

If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

I have been using them for almost 13 years now. I like them. I don't think they greatly improve visability but it comferting to know that there is some light in the room...to illum the area that my head is looking at....well sort of....I guess the thing has just grown on me and I am used to having it. They are not as good as the Survior type lights...or the New Vulcans...but they do the job.
    IACOJ Member

They are good lights, especially concidering they are disposable. On 9/11, Garrity brought thousands of them to the World Trade Center site.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I know it probably cant fit on your helmet, but I use a Big Ed.

Forum Member

I don't use them on my helmnet but they are handy to have in your pocket in those situations where your handlight gets "acquired" ... at least your not left in the dark. Also very useful to have in your pocket or brush pack at a brush fire that starts in the daylight and ends in trhe darkness

I wasn't intending to use them as a replacement for your "standard" flashlight. I'm still going to use my Streamlight Survivor light (my dept issued one and my personal one), and should the situation warrant, i'd grab a litebox. but for helmet use, i think the survivor is a little heavy. then again, so is the litebox

but as a supplemental light, would it be worthwhile to have and use?

oh, and for those that will say try doing a search, I did 3 and couldn't find any threads in the past 5 years that dealt specifically with garritty life lights.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Originally posted by DrParasite
    I wasn't intending to use them as a replacement for your "standard" flashlight. I'm still going to use my Streamlight Survivor light (my dept issued one and my personal one), and should the situation warrant, i'd grab a litebox. but for helmet use, i think the survivor is a little heavy. then again, so is the litebox

but as a supplemental light, would it be worthwhile to have and use?

oh, and for those that will say try doing a search, I did 3 and couldn't find any threads in the past 5 years that dealt specifically with garritty life lights.
    I guess I'm just confused as to why you need another light when you have 2 Survivor lights and a litebox at your disposal........

Mostly I have seen just a melted plastic clump that may or may not work. I am not a fan of lights on helmets.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I guess I'm just confused as to why you need another light when you have 2 Survivor lights and a litebox at your disposal........
    well, cause quite honestly, my tool of choice for most operations is a flat-headed ax. the survivor is attached to my coat, and is a great light. so is the litebox (when I grab it out of the engine).

the advantage to having a light directly on a helmet is that you have light where you are looking, instead of having to move the flashlight where you are looking. it's basicly frees up my hand to do another task (search, stay attached to a wall, drag a hose line, etc).

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

We get them by the box at my house. They are useful in that they are always pointing to the direction in which you are looking and are hands free. They are lightweight, dependable and disposable.

I've had a few deform (NOT melt) due to heat and continue to work. I've used them as the Control man removing the PRD and hooking up to a Standpipe in a Stairway filling with smoke from the floor above. I've used them as the Irons or Can man searching an apartment, any objects that came close to my face would become visible to me and I wouldn't end up slamming my head into a wall or furniture. The light always pointed where I was looking and going.

My Dept uses probably well over 20,000 of them in a year going back 20+ years and I've yet to see or hear about any problems with them.

Are they the only light option, no... but they serve their purpose.

FTM-PTB

I'm with Fred,they have good "shelf"life and are a great spare to have on your helmet or in your pocket in case your regular light goes out/goes missing.Used them for years and they will work even after a good cookin'.T.C.

I will echo Brother Tim's (Rescue 101) post. In my experience, my Kohler Responder and Styreamlight Survivor always crapped out at the worst possible time. The Garrity is a cheap backup that works when you need it... now for a bit 'o trivia!

Final Jeopardy:

This FDNY jake who was pictured on the original Garrity Life Light point of purchase display ad....

Remember.. your answer must be in the form of a question!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Umm......Who was Joey Buttafucco????

Really I have no idea what his name is but I see his face all the time. Hope he is getting gratuities from that.

Sorry Cap, don't mean to be a smart*****.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i've been using them for awhile now and love them. my opinion the fire usually doesn't care how much you spend on a flashlight. $3 for a disposable flashlight is a steal. as for visability they don't add that much more but that's why you carry more then one type of flashlight.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

Default Garity Lights

I have been using them for 13 years. We buy them a case at a time. Very easy to use, and after the melt ( which happens well before the battery goes dead) just through them away. I'm out....
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

MembersZone Subscriber

Gonz,
    OOOOOOOO, OOOOO OOOOOOOO, pick me. That's my Arnold Horshack imitation, for those who did not grow up in the 1970's. Anyways, as the self-proclaimed King of all useless information, I believe I know the correct answer to the name of the firefighter from the Garritty Life-Lite ads, and I believe I even remember which company he was in, at least according to his frontpiece. (I am obviously a double-loser for knowing that.) In the form of a question, who is Raymond Karpavicus. I'm not sure of the correct spelling, and I believe he was a member of the Tillary St. Tigers, H&L 110, or The Nut House Truck, TL-111. And, in the picture, he had not 1 but 2 Garrittys on his helmet. Oh, BTW, Garritty, made right here im my back-yard, lil' old CT. And, for the poll, I've had a Garritty strapped to my helmet since I started as a fireman, back in 1989, and I even had one when we had to wear 660 Metros, blecch! Bouk, they will probably even stay on a Phenix! I always have one on as an extra, and have a few in my drawer in my office, so when it goes dead, I don't haffta run to the store to get a new one.
    Last edited by lieutleroy140; 09-21-2004 at 07:48 PM.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Ladies and Gentlemen...Leroy is the man that unseated Ken Jennings in Jepoardy!

Ray Karpavicus was the firefighter in the Garrity Life Light POP display!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Damn, Gonz.......................

Somebody musta emailed a tip to Leroy. What did he win anyway?? Oh well..... I always thought the guy was Fireman Garrity. I've used them for years, check the photo on page 1 of the "Faces behind the posts" Thread. I did melt one REAL good, but the sucker still worked after the cooking.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information