Thread: I need some advice
09-20-2004, 09:13 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2004
I need some advice
Hey guys. I am currently moving up from Fire Explorer, or junior firefigher, to Volunteer firefighter. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on my interview and maybe on the combat challenge. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.
09-21-2004, 12:48 PM #2
- Join Date
- Feb 2001
- Illinois-where pertnear is close enough!
Forget the combat challenge for the time being and concentrate on making a seamless transition to vollie firefighter.
Listen, learn, live!
Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)
09-22-2004, 01:50 AM #3
Found this on here a while ago. Hope it helps.
Rookies Guide to Success
. Be the first to offer help and clean.
. Never let a senior member do something you should be doing.
· Stay physically fit
· Test as much as possible, practice does make perfect. You will be come more relaxed and familiar with the questions asked on test and interviews.
· Join a service like Fire Career Assistance! Use your extra time for studying, education or training. Stop wasting time and effort. Simplify your job search.
· Don't come to work with earrings, died hair and pants to your knees. It's Not MTV
· Look like a professional. Take pride in your uniform
· Make friends
· Maintain professional competence
· Don't spout off in public. Let your performance speak for itself
· Go with your natural instinct
· Drive safely & conscientiously
· Don't judge other's actions until you know all the facts
· Be extremely careful when backing up a vehicle. Use a back up person when possible
· Be empathetic, it could be you
· Leave stress at work
· Longevity doesn't guarantee perfection, even veterans make mistakes.
· Learn new ways to communicate, foreign languages, sign language, etc.
· Don't bring your problems to work
· Become educated on legal issues
· Respect & learn from seniors
· Be your worst own critic
· Even though most calls are uneventful, don't get to relaxed because the next one might be worse.
· Avoid gossip
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)