MembersZone Subscriber

Question Can a Fire Fighter/EMT get a job in Texas

I have only been looking for 7 months but seems like forever. I have been told you can get a job on a fire department in Texas being only and EMT although I have had no luck. Is there hope or do I need to go back to school?
    Last edited by briano; 09-22-2004 at 08:22 PM.

former FH.com member

Brian if you are looking to get hired without further training on your own then you should start testing for the big city FD's (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio etc..). These places do not require any previous knowledge and will put you through their own Fire Academy. If you aren't looking to work in the city you will probably need to look at finding a fire academy near you (check local colleges) so you can get your Texas Commission. Most mid-size to small FD's will require you to be certified already before you are eligible to be hired. At least you already have your EMT which is a great first step...just be patient and keep working at it 'till your "on the job". If you have more questions feel free to ask. -46

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply!

Forum Member

briano,

you can check the Texas Commision web site for departments that are hiring goto www.tcfp.texas.state.us you will find a link to a hiring site that will give you requirments for that dept. Also if you are wanting to find an acadamy there are several throughout the state one here where I live is through the Kilgore College you can get information from them by going to there web sitewww.kilgore.edu good luck in your search for a start in such a wonderful career. Let me know if you need any more information. I am on our department hiring board and have contacts throughout the state we use for recurtment.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you decide to go to fire acadmey, and stay in the metroplex it's highly advised you get a red patch. I've tried the metroplex for awhile now and due to recent divorce don't have to stay here I'm attempting and traveling whereevver is testing now. When i can afford it . Get a job where ever ya can. And get some college creds those too also open more doors.

Imagination is more important then knowledge. Einstein
    Knowing is half the battle. GI JOE
    Your problem in life is the fire station was your first love. - My Mother

Lightbulb Texas jobs

You may already know this. In Texas, to be a professional firefighter you have to take and pass the state test (written & skills), be and ECA or higher and apply for certification through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection. website> www.tcfp.state.tx.us
    There are big city jobs, small town jobs and jobs in emergency services districts. The difference is the pay rate and some of the big cities are wanting firefighter/paramedics. There are several departments around the Austin area hiring. Happy hunting.

Default Can and Fire Fighter/EMT get a job in Texas

hi,
    If you decide to go to fire acadmey, and stay in the metroplex it's highly advised you get a red patch. I've tried the metroplex for awhile now and due to recent divorce don't have to stay here I'm attempting and traveling whereevver is testing now. When i can afford it . Get a job where ever ya can. And get some college creds those too also open more doors.

www.staffingpower.com

www.sentersoftech.com

Thread Information