MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any experiences with a Robwen system for B Foam

We are probably installing an A/B system on or front line engine. We are also considering installing an "a" system, and perhaps using the robwen pressurized system for "B" foams.

Anyone have any experience with these units?

Forum Member

Some on both counts.I work for two Fd's.One has a Foampro and a Robwen and the other has a Foampro.The Robwen unit takes a little getting used to but has worked well over the years we have used it.The Foampros are VERY user friendly.Depending on model and your intended end use either may work well for you.A few more specifics might help.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default took me a while to respond....

Rescue, We are thinking of either adding a Hale Foam Logix or FoamPro A/B system to our current engine, or adding just the class A system for general use, and a tailboard mounted Robwen system just for B Foam, because it will typically see a lot less use.

Forum Member

Ok here we go.The Foam pro and the Foamlogix are the same thing.Yes there are subtle differences but the both came from the same place conceptually.If you are considering such a system it doesn't cost a lot extra to just add the B capability.That's what we did along with the "autoloader"for the A cell.We've got a Robwen unit on one of the other trucks I work off and it works well.Just be aware that it loads manually and only holds 5 gal of foam even if you get their new power load system with a foam cell size of your choosing.In terms of simplicity of operation the Foam pro or Logix is much easier to learn initially.But the Robwen unit will also work very well,it just has a steeper learning curve.I'm sure Dennis(the Robwen seales manager)would have a different tale on this but I'm offering my opinion based on what I've played with.The Pro/Logix systems basically require you to turn a handle(or switch)to a or b,then push the "RED"button(on).You now have active foam lines.To shut off just push the red button again.Are you confused yet? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I've asked this question before, but

Are some of the new combo A-B foams effective, or safe for "B" fires?

I'll clarify and say that "small" B fires. If a tanker were too dump on the railroad, we aren't set up with that much foam. Most of what I'm worried about is "A" fires, based on history.

Going back to the Robwen, I guess we thought about it for "B" fires based on the fact that it would be used less than the "A" foam, and we could just plumb the unit into the rear 2-1/2 discharge on the front line engine and mount the whole unit on the tailboard. The other thought was, with just A foam on the auto unit, and the B foam on the tailboard unit, there would be less chance of a screwup.

We're reviewing Foam Pro and Hale Foam Logix A/B installation instructions. We might go with an integrated unit. That's the problem with choices...

Forum Member

Brother,I feel your pain.On the A foam issueepends on who you talk to how effective it is on B fires.Some say the new formulations will cover 85%of your calls;Others say:well lets just call that another can of worms.Next step should probably be to try and get an up close and personal look at all three.With a little advance notice you could probably get all three demo'd.All will do a good job,it comes down to money,how many foam lines you want,and how simple a control system.Good luck on your journey and let me know how you make out.T.C.

Thread Information