Thread: Water Shuttle

Forum Member

Default Water Shuttle

Last saturday we did our anual water shuttle.....one of our guys took pictures and I hope to get them from him soon so I can post a few here.....I am sure some people have not seen a setup like we did.....we pumped 1,000 Gallons Per Minute for 2 hours straight....if I am correct from pump site to fill site and back to pump site was 5 miles...I will double check on that. We had 3 dump tanks using jet siphon to pump water to our main tank and a additional tank to run the jet siphon truck....we pumped a total of 123,750 gallons counting the first 15 minutes that we pumped at 250 GPM before starting the 2 hours at 1,000 GPM

the whole drill went well at the end of the 2 hours we bumped it up to 1.200 GPM and lasted about a additional 15 minutes.....but we had a survey crew holding the trucks up....i think we could have went longer at 1,200 GPM if had not been for that

Will post pics under this post as soon as I get them
    MIke

Forum Member

How many tankers and of what size did you have involved in this op? Also do they pump off or use jet/gravity dumps and was it set up as a drive by type dump site or did they have to back in to the tanks? What was the water supply at the fill sites?

Forum Member

we used 6 tankers 2250 Gallons each.....they all have jet/gravity dumps....and as of now they are all rear dumps so yes they had to back up to the 3 dump tanks and the one tank used for the jet syphon truck..... the water source was a lake at the wildlife reduge where where we did the op...and we had 2 pumpers at the fill site filling tankers.....any more questions feel free to ask

Mike

Forum Member

Finally got Pictures Of the Water Shuttle

Forum Member

Dumping a bit of water

Forum Member

Shot of the whole dump site including the jet siphon tank and truck

Forum Member

Where it is all going to

Forum Member

Not to bash your way of operating but I HATE to see fire apparatus backing up when it is not absolutely needed. It's not so much that I don't like the sight of reversing trucks. I just don't like visiting injured brothers and I hate funerals.
    A few tankers in my general area only have the rear dump chutes also but they have been equipted with fabricated aluminum "ducts" that attatch to the dump nozzle and extend to the side of the tanker at the rear. These "ducts" or chutes can be flipped over to aim the water flow off either side as needed. This eliminates the need to back along with the risks involved, it also speeds up the dump evolution. The tankers just have to roll up next to the tank and let go then pull away when empty. Faster and safer then backing in and less room is needed around the tanks. We do it on narrow two lanes with all the tanks lined up in a row allowing two tankers to drop at the same time if they show up together. This works well for us when we can run a loop route to the fill site or even have the tankers turn around and come back past the dump site when the lane clears.

Forum Member

I agree all of our tankers are rear dump right now....we are looking at 2 new tankers we need them bad....if you have any pictures of the fabrications you have done it would be great to see......or any info ya can give me

Thanks
    Mike

Thread Information