Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Should the New Jersey Fireman's Association Convention in Wildwood be terminated?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 36.36%
  • No

6 54.55%
  • No opinion/Not sure

1 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Time has passed Wildwood by

My absolute belief is that the Wildwood convention has seen time pas it by. I believe it is time to shut it down, and find a new way to do business.

1. This "convention" is little more than an excuse for excessive alcohol use.

2. There is little to no "business" conducted at the "convention" (which lasts about a total of 3 hours).

3. There is no educational or overall benefit to the fire service. There are no educational programs, no professional association meetings and no constructive progree.

4. The Trade Show is a good thing. But let's face reality. If FDIC East takes off in AC, the Wildwood show will cease to exist. The facilities in AC are far superior to Wildwood. FDIC East will also fill the educational void.

Forum Member

Default Childwood

George, You are 100% right.
    I will keep the rest of my comments to myself out of respect to the
    family members of the people that died at Wildwood.

1. No arguement here.
    2. Little business at the very most.
    3. There were 2 seminars this year on Wednesday, they were barely advertised and almost no one goes there on Wednesday for a Friday/Saturday convention.
    4. Years ago, when it was in AC, the costs were huge for attendees at the hotels. Childwood has now gotten to be just as expensive. I'd be curious to see what AC would cost now (FDIC will be a different story as it's not a guaranteed yearly event there - yet) With all the "politicing" and fighting the State Association did in getting the new convention hall built and named for FF's, I don't see it leaving Wildwood in the near future. Would be real nice to have it more "centrally" located in the state.

PS - I voted No. It should be improved, not terminated.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Improvements are needed !!!

The Convention at Wildwood is in desperate need of repair. As others have said and I ask again where is the educational value of this alcohol driven event ??

I attended the convention for several years as a member of the only company to ever win the Over-All State Championship four years in a row 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 - plus one additional victory in 2000.

We didn't compete in 2001 due to obvious resons and haven't competed since due to our station construction. - Over the years I have gained this from the Convention:

1. Multiple Hang-Overs
    2. Empty Wallet - Rooms, Food Prices are outrageous !!
    3. Absolute Bordem by Saturday Afternoon {Parade Sucks - isn't what it used to be}
    4. And did I mention Multiple Hang-Overs ?

Alot of work has to go into the equipment, marching, presentation of your company and so forth and yeah although it's a rewarding moment when your company is announced as the winner whats left after that ? Not a damb thing except the clean-up of the mess at the motel.

The actual parade it-self is an absolute disgrace - I remember as a kid going down to Wildwood and watching the parade from 1pm until well into the evening hours {6-7pm} now the parade is over by 3:30 most of the time. - I like to drink an occasional Beer from time to time....But Wildwood is out of control. There's more drunk individuals on a five mile island than is nesessary - Making this a non-family oriented event.

This year I herd an out of state firefighter was found dead after deciding to take a swim in the dark ocean - Another was killed after he dived off a motel balcony into the pool. Arrests were made at motels during drunken fights between members of same companies and rival companies - Why is this ???? Alcohol ! ya think ???

The Wildwood Convention 'ought to be condemed, re-evaluated, and perhaps be given some educational value as well as be made more affordable. - Five Mile Beach needs to drop the 3 night room requiremnet meaning that if you can only stay one night why pay for three ? - It's a scam

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Im gonna have to agree about it being re-evaluated, its almost like spring break when you go down there for the weekend. I usually attend the event with my brother who's also a Firefighter on my company and my parents we go down to get away for the weekend but the past couple years you go down and gotta worry who you look at the wrong way or what you say when walking past a hotel because everyone has a set of beer muscles. This year was more of a laid back year for my department we still entered the parade but it was more of a get away for everyone not a big major party. I would like to see some seminars down there too,something to mix it up a little bit, the tents werent really that great this year except I got to run into a few good people that I havent seen in a while. The apparatus display was great seemed like a nice turnout but other than that...I think it was a waste of money to go down there this year. We paid way to much money for a 3 day stay at a hotel. Unfortunatley, I found out the news of the firefighter when we saw the Coast Guard helicopters & boats from my balcony that overlooked the ocean not something you want to see. Hopefully in the next few years things will change for the better, if not I dont think I will be attending too much longer Next year I will because its my companies year to run the festivities gonna hope its a safe year..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Does anyone know of someone that actually attended either of the 2 seminars on Wednesday?

me neither.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I would of liked to attend...I didnt know they were on Weds they should move them if they are on Weds because alot of people dont come down till Thursday afternoon... at least move them to Friday morning... I'm definatley thinking about going to Atlantic City but it all depends whether or not I start my new job and can get the time off.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Engine58
    Im gonna have to agree about it being re-evaluated, its almost like spring break when you go down there for the weekend. I usually attend the event with my brother who's also a Firefighter on my company and my parents we go down to get away for the weekend but the past couple years you go down and gotta worry who you look at the wrong way or what you say when walking past a hotel because everyone has a set of beer muscles. This year was more of a laid back year for my department we still entered the parade but it was more of a get away for everyone not a big major party. I would like to see some seminars down there too,something to mix it up a little bit, the tents werent really that great this year except I got to run into a few good people that I havent seen in a while. The apparatus display was great seemed like a nice turnout but other than that...I think it was a waste of money to go down there this year. We paid way to much money for a 3 day stay at a hotel. Unfortunatley, I found out the news of the firefighter when we saw the Coast Guard helicopters & boats from my balcony that overlooked the ocean not something you want to see. Hopefully in the next few years things will change for the better, if not I dont think I will be attending too much longer Next year I will because its my companies year to run the festivities gonna hope its a safe year..
    Dude, find someone from your company that is over the age of 40 and ask them to tell you stories about Wildwood when they were your age. Then see how proud you are.

I've heard stories about how bad it used to be down there the fights the stupid stunts that went on ,I find the amount of alcohol down there ridiculous if those were the stories that you were shooting for me to hear about...then thats nothing to be proud about ,it makes me sick that firefighters gotta act like a bunch of drunken college kids.Is it time off yes...should it be more structured and more educational yes...I'm not gonna shoot my mouth off because I dont have near as much experience as some people on here do and I dont want to sound like a snot nosed kid believe me thats the last way I want to be viewed, but as a young 20yr old firefighter I would definatley like to see such a convention that is closer to home and affordable to go to so that I may meet firefighters from all around NJ NY & PA. Believe me...if wildwood was nothing but seminars and training for the weekend I'd still go...Either way...Its gotta stop and gotta be changed....Im happy to see a convention moving to Atlantic City...I dont have the money or time off to attend this year but I will definatley attend next year if they have it again
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

yeah, my old man and my chief have told me stories about past convention weekends. Interesting.

In my idea, the convention needs to be improved but not terminated. I think that it's just too much a part of this starts fire service tradition to get rid of it.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Not for nothing, but I live in a much smaller version of Wildwood. I have a small boardwalk and get inundated with visitors every weekend of the summer. Seaside is only 20 minutes south of me also. Guess what? The behavior is the same on those weekends as it is in Wildwood. We hire an average of 60 police officers each summer just to handle the problems it causes. Should we, as FF's, set a better example when we are in Wildwood? I say yes, but I know others will say no.

Engine58, you do realize there are delegates that attend the mostly useless meeting on Friday? It'd be inconvenient to have seminars and the meetings at the same time. Even Thursday would be better than Wed.

Ask the even older members what it was like when it was in A/C. I have heard worse stories from there than I have seen in Wildwood. It moved from A/C to Wildwood about 25 years ago I believe...

Yes I'm aware of the delegates & the meetings, I never knew it was in AC. I agree thursday would also be a good day to have seminars theres really nothing to do on Thursdays down there.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

I also agree that the convention should be expanded, this was my second year as a delegate and after the meeting there's nothing to do. Also I have distanced myself from my department because of the drinking problem, I've been told not to bring my kids because this was a adult affair but it's more like an excluse to act like *******s (sorry about the wording). As for having it else where I would like to see more possible locations other than Wildwood, don't get me wrong here I like Wildwood but the town is like one big tick sucking you dry, from the motels, vendors on the boardwalk, to parking.

If you want to hold the NJSFA meeting you can do that just about anywhere, but to have the displays and the equipment vendors and the parade then you need a place that can deal with it. Wildwood can handle it for now.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

George, did you go down there? Bones, did you? BD6413, Engine58, did you attend this year's convention? I'm going to assume the answer will be yes. and i'm assuming it was no better than last year either.

George, you are absolutely right, a whole lot of drinking goes on down there. very often too much. There is also little or no educational benefit down there. but bussiness is done, as many truck manufactors show off their demos, and people from all over the state can see how dept A lays out their truck, and what tools they use, and how they can improve their own. I have to admit, I checked out Camden's Rescue 1, and was very impressed with both the layout, the design, and the amount of equipment stored on the truck.

if you don't like the convention, DON'T GO. One of the reasons they continue to hold it is that it is PROFITABLE. the hotels make money, the tradeshows (which I enjoyed immensly) sell goods, and firefighters will travel several hours to purchase a ceramic mug and get drunk. If your department (as a whole) thinks it's a waste of time and money, then don't go. don't continue to spend your money there. if it stops being profitable, then they will either cancel the convention or do a massive overhaul to make it better.

oh, for the record, after 6 years on my department, I attended the convention for the first time. was there from 11pm on friday until 7:30am on sunday. spent $100 on a new helmet with bourkes, and another $100 on fire stuff that looked cool but i probably didn't need. probably another $250 or so for the room and for transportation costs. Am I glad I attended? yeah. will I go back next year? sure. am I going to make it a day trip, and spend maybe $100 total instead of the $450 i spent this year. absolutely.

for the record, I also don't think the NJ FF convention should be held at the southern tip of the state. a more centralized location with access to the major highways (The raritan Expo center in edison to give an exaple) would be a much better geographic choice for the majority of the firefighters in the state.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Your points are well taken. For the record I did not attend this year. I spent about 20 years down there and I finally had enough. Trust me though, I had enough info from people who were there.

You are right that business is done there. But I would be that the exhibitors would be happier at an indoor venue, more centrally located. If FDIC East becomes a fixture in AC, you can bet that the tents at Wildwood will become another piece of Wildwood memorabilia.

The Raritan Expo Center is another great venue. Having part of the show on Thursday would allow people who are employees (ie Paid people and administrators) to attend.

Lodging in Wildwood sucks. It is tantamount to price gouging. You could get a four star hotel room at a Caribbean resort for less.

I think that if an education component were added...a serious educational component...it would draw more of the serious fire fighter and less of the drunken yahoos.

Was not in Wildwood this year, was actually in NYC on Friday instead. Wildwood is voted on and booked 4 years ahead by the Association so it won't be moving quickly. More central location would be great (specially since I'm centrally located). My department has made it a hard and fast rule to look at items but not purchase equipment while there. This was due to simple fact that things were lower priced the week after the show.

I was greatly looking forward to FDIC, but after trying to register have lost respect for it. I will still be there, but their "restrictions" on the H.O.T. left a big distaste. I can't make it on Monday due to work so I wished to register for Tuesday H.O.T. They don't allow that, you have to sign up for H.O.T. evolutions for Monday and Tuesday, even though they are only 4 hour sessions. Since there is no reason to go Tues now, I will be there Wed for classroom sessions. The other 3 from my company going are in the same boat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whatever failings FDIC East may or will have, it will still be leaps and bounds ahead of the binge drinking expo in Wildwood.

if its a slow process, fine. start it now. don't complain here. if the convention is run by the NJ State fireman's convention, then call/e-mail the board members. btw, before anyone throws a hissy fit about the posting of personal information, all this info is taken directly from the state associate's website, http://www.njstatefiremensrelief.com/Default.htm

don't complain to an online forum, go right to the top and ask what would be needed to have the location changed. or ask your local exec board member (1 per county) how you would go abotu changing the location. you might get support here, but your going to need real names and numbers to get a change. don't just sit back and complain about the problem, activly do something to fix it. maybe others feel like you do.

Board of Officers

PRESIDENT
    H. LEIGH PETERSON
    50 BORTIC ROAD
    CEDAR GROVE NJ 07009
    Home973-239-8657
    E-Mail: Leigh@njstatefiremensrelief.co m

PRESIDENT EMERITUS
    ERNEST J GREENWALD SR
    17 CHESTNUT ST
    LUMBERTON NJ 08048
    Home 609-267-1193