Forum Member

Default Your dream 100' quint tower and why

This forums getting a bit slack lately,time to spice it up a bit.If money was no object(or even if it is)what would your dream 100'quint(or reasonable equivalent,say 95' for Larry)be?Specs please, such as Engine,brakes,trans,cab(or body)builder,and any essential trinkets.There is method to my madness that I'll post after we get started.We're currently considering a machine of this type but there is a pretty good straight stick vs tower controversy going right now.A little background,We are a paid call dept.in a town of 5000 year round.We currently have a roster of 75 personnel with eight Chief officers,5 Engines,1 100'stick,1 Tank,1 5 ton forestry,a Reel truck,and a Haz mat unit.The highest building in town is a little over 4 stories high.The 100' is required due to seasonal setoffs due to Snow and spring mud season.Let's have some fun with this and give me some solid ideas for consideration.Oh and we are in the southwest mountains of Maine so hills and valleys are a consideration.T.C.

Forum Member

All volunteer, 2 stations, 1.5sq miles of coverage. 3 story houses and 3 story highschool. Currently have a 75' Snorkle that can't do much due to lack of reach. We did the stick vs tower arguement and decided on tower. Increased cost, but offered more options than straight stick. Here's a short list of what you asked for:

Cab:
    Seating for 7
    Vehicle height shall be 11' 9" and length shall be 46' 9".
    Construction of the cab shall consist of 5052-H32 .125" aluminum welded to extruded aluminum framing.
    The forward cab section overall height (cab roof to ground) shall be approximately 99.00".
    The crew cab section shall have a 10.00” raised roof with an overall cab height of 109".
    The fire apparatus manufacturer shall provide a cab crash test certification with this proposal.
    All seating positions in cab and crew cab shall have red seat belts.

Axles:
    The front axle shall be of the independent suspension design with a ground rating of 24,000 pounds.
    The rear axle shall be a Meritor™, Model RT-52-185, tandem axle assembly with a capacity of 54,000 pounds.

Engine:
    The chassis shall be powered by a Detroit Diesel electronically controlled engine as described below:
    - Model: Series 60, 14.0L (855 cubic inches)
    - Rated Power: 515 bhp at 1800 rpm
    - Peak Torque: 1650 lb-ft at 1200 rpm
    - Governed Speed: 2100 rpm
    - Bore and Stroke: 5.24" x 6.61"
    - Number of Cylinders: Six (6)
    - Compression Ratio: 16.0:1
    Six (6)-Douglas 12 volt, 950 CCA, 205 reserve capacity, high cycle, maintenance-free, group 31 batteries

Transmission:
    An Allison, model EVS 4000P, electronic, torque converting, automatic transmission shall be provided.

Water:
    It shall have a capacity of 300 gallons

Hose Bed:
    Hose capacity shall be a minimum of 800' of 5.00" hose and 450' of 2.5" hose..

Ground Ladders:
    - one (1) 35', two (2) section, aluminum, Series 1200-A
    - one (1) 24', two (2) section, aluminum, Series 900-A
    - two (2), 16' roof, aluminum, Series 875-A
    - one (1) 14' Fresno, aluminum, Series 701
    - one (1) 10' folding, aluminum, Series 585-A
    The ground ladders are stored within the torque box and are removable from the rear.

- one (1) 16' roof, aluminum, Series 875-A
    Mounting provisions for one (1) 875A roof ladder shall be mounted at the fly section of the aerial.

Misc. Equipment:
    Two (2) crosslays with 1.50" outlets shall be provided. 200’ of 1.75” hose each.
    One (1) crosslay with 2.50" outlets shall be provided. 200’ of 2.5” hose.
    A total of seven (7) air bottle compartments shall be provided.
    Two (2) 12 foot Pike Poles: Fiberglass handles
    Two (2) Eight (8) foot Pike Pole(s): Fiberglass handles
    Two (2) Six (6) foot Pike pole(s): Fiberglass handles
    Two (2) Three (3) foot Pike Pole(s): Fiberglass shaft and "D" handles, shipped loose

Pump:
    Pump shall be a Waterous CMUY, 2000 gpm, two (2) stage midship mounted centrifugal type.

Generator:
    generator shall be a Harrison Model 10.0MAS 10.0 kW Hydraulic unit.

Aerial:
    The ladder shall be comprised of three (3) sections and shall extend to a nominal height, of 100 feet above the ground, as measured by 1901 recommendations.
    A basket leveling system shall be provided
    The basket floor shall measure approximately 34.00" long x 92.00" wide.
    Breathing air shall be supplied to the aerial platform. The air system shall incorporate one (1), 444 cubic foot (minimum), 4500 psi cylinder.
    Two Akron monitors, one #3570 manual w/5070 2000 gpm nozzle, and one #3578 electric w/5078 2000 gpm nozzle shall be provided at the platform.

Someday soon, we'll get the approval to get this truck. It's only on paper so can't tell you how it performs...yet.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

My Volunteer Department:

What we already have plus front bumper mounted extrication tools. LOL.

My Career Department:

No such thing as a dream quint in a large department. Even an average quint is not right.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Default Sounds like a Texas Governor

Larry,Yer starting to remind me of the governor in the movie"Best 'lil whorehouse in Texas""Just do a 'lil sidestep......."Since I've never been in or even near your other "house",how about humoring this country bumpkin and fillin' a few of the dots(HOLES).I've followed your posts long enough to know you've seen a stick or two in your lifetime so GIVE IT UP!Thanks,T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rescue101, what part do you want me to elaborate on? LOL. My volunteer departments quint or my career departments "quint"? LOL. I have an opinion on alot of things, usually gets me in trouble though. LOL.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Larry,"My opinions often get me in trouble",Well pal,we're not far apart on that one.On the Quints Either or both.By your post,I would guess maybe your vollie rig to be a better choice.Having limited experience in units outside of 100' sticks,I'm trying to gather some ideas on how to create the perfect tower(or reasonable equivalent).And people who use them know about little things that I wouldn't think of.We will be going to commitee within a year on the project so I'm starting the info gathering process now.Sooright?T.C.

Thread Information