Question i need help getting started

About a week ago I decided to follow my dream of being a firefighter. I am 22 years old, and I need a little help in figuring out the best way to go about training and such to achieve my goal of becoming a firefighter. I live in riverside county, ca and I am moving to orange county, ca in a few weeks. If anyone can help me out and give me a few suggestions, it would be much appreciated. thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, there's a lot to consider before you decide how you want to get started.

Are you looking to be a volunteer firefighter? A full time firefighter? Firefighter/Paramedic? Making the decision of your end goal is an important step.

Generally these days, if you want to be a firefighter in any paid capacity, one of the first things you need to do is get your EMT-B as there are few if any paid departments that don't require it. I would also suggest getting it even if you only want to be a volunteer firefighter as it is very useful in our field. Usually the easiest place to find an EMT class is at your local community college. Some other places that may offer the class are, hospitals, universities, local EMS service, state fire academy, and local highschools.

As far as getting your fire training, there are a lot of options here too. Generally the two main avenues you can take are to apply to a department (or join a volunteer department) and get hired on and go through their training program (which you will have to do no matter what more than likely) or take a fire science degree program at a college or univerisity. If you are looking to be a paid firefighter, having this degree can do two things for you. One, it can give you a leg up on the competition in the hiring process as you have a college degree and have your FF I & FF 2 certs. And two, having a college degree is usually a requirement for advancement in a fire department past a certain point (may be required for any officer position or just chief level positions depending on the department).

I know I have sorta rambled on about this, but I hope the information will help you out. If you have any other questions, just post them here and I'm sure you'll get the help you need.

------------
    FF/FR

thanks...with your help i can start planning what im gonna do...thanks again

It's alittle more in depth than just saying I want to be a firefighter. You're young..... you have alot of time to get your career path headed in the right direction for you.

EMS isn't for everyone.... so do you become a paramedic and commit alot of your time on the ambulance instead of the engine or aerial, or specialize in a branch of EMS?

Is chemistry a fav of yours? Perhaps HAZMAT/WMD would be of interest?

Are you comfortable in tight or high places? Perhaps it's a Tactical Rescue calling?

The fire service has become so much more than fighting fire and with so much diversity, goes alot of training, retraining, and continuing education to keep your certifications current and hands on skills sharp. Dig deep into your desires, research what it takes to become, maintain, and where the need for that vocation is, then locate where it's offered and even the departments that will put you through it at little if any expense to yourself.

There are options..... and if I had it to do all over again, I would have done things a little differently. You can also plan for the future... your knowledge and experience can be where the future is in education when you get older and ready to retire the physical aspect of the job. Getting a degree, even an associates to begin with, is a must to prepare you for advancement. Consider a bachelors in administration to put you in the position to become and higher eschelon officer, ems coordinator, county or area LEPC/EMA director.

The easy part is following your heart into what drives you, the hard part is just how far do you wanna go?

i know of a online study exam that can quide you through everything for firefighter1. I cannot post the link on here as it violates the forum rules but if you would like to know the link you can email me or post back to this topic

Thread Information