Forum Member

Default best/favorite safety glasses

Since I can't stand my faceshield, and don't have goggle on my helmet, I've decided to get a pair or two of safety glasses, for use at both fire and EMS calls. I went to TheFireStore.com and found some nice ones, but I wanted to know if anyone has any pros and cons about the different types. Since I am spending my own money, and I'm sure these will either get lost or damaged, I'm also looking to go with the cheaper the better, while still being able to protect my eyes.

any one have any opinions? oh, if you like one that isn't listed at thefirestore, please include a link to where you got it (or link to the store or manufactorer where you got it). also, what color lenses do you prefer?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

former FH.com member

My favorites for safety glasses are Smith&Wesson shooting glasses. They are ANSI impact rated and optically correct. At about $12 a pair you can afford to lose them, and they dont look like crap either. You can get them at Walmart or most sporting goods stores.
    Last edited by SAFD46Truck; 02-04-2007 at 02:59 AM.

Forum Member

I tend not to spend much money on saftey classes, they tend to break or i just lose them, but that could be becuase i leave them around my helmet shield.--I usually go to home depot to pick up classes though.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Forum Member

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    My favorites for safety glasses are Smith&Wesson shooting glasses. They are ANSI impact rated and optically correct. At about $12 a pair you can afford to lose them, and they dont look like crap either. You can get them at Walmart or most sporting goods stores.
    If you want a website to go to to order them, try, MSC Industrial Supplies

I wear the same ones SAFD46truck pictured in his post, and I can say they are quite comfortable. You can get them in a variety of lens colors and tints. I would recommend either the clear or amber lens, so that you can use them at night.
    Last edited by Lewiston2Capt; 09-27-2004 at 08:51 PM.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Smith and Wesson is the same that I used to have. Something cheap becuase they will get lost and scratched. This last pair I got is an off brand but works well too. You want to get something that doesn't fog up and provides side protection as well. The shooting glasses work just fine for this.

A guy on my dept. got Oakley's. He was so mad when they got scratched cause they are so expensive. The Cheaper the better.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Forum Member

I went to Home Depot and picked up a cheap pair (think it was $7). MSA brand, so I figure it canít be too bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Glasses

The S & W's are really good. I keep a clear pair and a tinted pair. Over time, I have lost different sunglasses and now I just use the S & W's all the time.

I also got a pair from another company offering a "free pair" to try. They became my perferred glasses. I think the offer over, but they are a great pair.

Here is a link...

http://209.200.67.149/aosafety.com/i...l/eye_main.cfm

I perfer the Flywear to the S & W. The S & W's were a little too tight around my ears for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dan,

Try Safetyglasses.com, yes - it really does exist. I am in the same boat, I removed the face shield as well. I tried google attached to the helmet, didn't work for me. So I purchased a couple of pairs of safety glasses. I know I purchased them online, I just forgot where. I tried to look for the online receipt as well, no luck.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    Ditto.

My "paying gig" is as a techno weenie with a major Electrical Utility and these are what we stock in our warehouse for issue to anyone who wants them. We also stock the Smoke tinted ones as well and those are what I use for my every day sunglasses.

They do fit & feel well and since I get them pretty much free - I can't pass it up.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I'm not too familiar with all the statutes and requirements but are safety glasses allowed to replace a shield, or in my company's case goggles? My goggles are always slipping off my helmet and fog up fast. Glasses would be much more convenient for me. Does NFPA/OSHA allow safety glasses as a replacement for shields or goggles?

~Tide
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

from what most people are saying, it would seem like the Smith & Wesson provide the best protection for the cost. next question, should I get clear lenses or amber ones? and what are the amber ones used for?
    Originally posted by FFTide
    Does NFPA/OSHA allow safety glasses as a replacement for shields or goggles?
    the face shields are NOT approved by NFPA for primary eye protection. The goggles ARE permitted as primary eye protection, as are safety glasses.

now, being picky, the moment you modify any part of the helmet (by removing something the factory shipped it with), you are removing the NFPA cert. this means that if your helmet has a face shield, and you replace it out of the box with goggles, then it isn't NFPA certified (even though that same helmet that was shipped with goggles would be certified). best thing to do is ask your chief what the department's policy is before you do anything.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Default being picky

Careful, NFPA doesn't "certify" anything...I think you mean they have or do not have compliance. Same as OSHA.

Also, like I said earier, I perfered the Flywear from AO Safety. I stumbled across the link to get a free pair.

http://www.aosflywear.com

While we are being picky...to me (just a personal opinion), the glasses (or the goggles) offer better *eye* protection, but the shield offers *facial* protection. Take a look at what you are trying to protect and base your decision on that.

Have fun and stay safe!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer the S&W Code 4 model...
    Got a handful cheap from harbor freight, wish I got more.
    I use them as sunglasses regularly too.
    "I am permaprobie, and I approve this message."

Forum Member

We are issued THESE glasses made by Uvex........ I like them. Never had any problems with them at all.

Here's another link to purchase them....... $7.36/pair with clear lenses.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: being picky

There is some confusion in the Standards. NFPA 1500 (1997) & NFPA 1971 (2000) seem to conflict each other due to the reference of ANSI Z87.1 Also if you are an OSHA state - OSHA 29 CFR Eye and Face Protection 1910.133 will also come into play.

For a good read and a listing of all the applicable sources take a look at: http://www.essgoggles.com/products/NFPA.html

To be 100% complaint with all NFPA & OSHA you would need Goggles that are ANSI Z87.1 & NFPA 1971-2000 OR an NFPA 1971-2000 Face Shield & ANSI Z87.1 Glasses/Goggles
    Last edited by N2DFire; 09-30-2004 at 02:25 PM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information