Forum Member

Default Two things you should never discuss

I remember when I was a "trial man" many a year ago fresh out of the academy I was told somewhere in the first hour of station living that there are two things you should never mention in the firehouse.

1. Religion
    2. Politics

These forums have become a waste collection pool for classless tossers who think everyone is privy to their opinion on who should be President and for what reason. Heres a clue, no one cares what your opinion is and everyone has the duty to make ones own decision and vote according to ones convictions. Keep the political war out of the forums quite frankly you all sound like a bunch of wankers tossing off at the gob on a barstool at a dive pub.

Love,
    MOTOWN
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Hey look it's our resident Irish tattooed hooligan MO! Telling it like it is, how refreshing .... I'm sure I'm not alone in saying WE MISS YOU!

It started getting nasty right off the bat, when that "unspoken" rule was first tossed aside at the beginning of the war in Iraq. How many threads were shut down then??!!!

It hasn't gotten any better, and quite frankly the discussions just seem to go 'round and 'round, rehashing the same information but each with their own interpretation of said info. Classic "he said, she said" syndrome.

I liked someone's idea of having a forum dedicated strictly to these two topics but I never saw a response from the Webteam about it.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

It is called the Off-Duty Discussion.

If you wanna talk shop, there are a hundred other threads to talk shop on. Get over it....
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

True there are many threads to talk shop and nearly all of them have been invaded by those who think I give a toss about who they want as President.

Default Re: Two things you should never discuss

Originally posted by MOTOWN88
    I remember when I was a "trial man" many a year ago fresh out of the academy I was told somewhere in the first hour of station living that there are two things you should never mention in the firehouse.

1. Religion
    2. Politics

These forums have become a waste collection pool for classless tossers who think everyone is privy to their opinion on who should be President and for what reason. Heres a clue, no one cares what your opinion is and everyone has the duty to make ones own decision and vote according to ones convictions. Keep the political war out of the forums quite frankly you all sound like a bunch of wankers tossing off at the gob on a barstool at a dive pub.

Love,
    MOTOWN
    MOTOWN

First, obviously some care, look at the # of responses on these threads.

Secondly - who put you in charge? If Firehouse.com wants to end political discussion, then their webteam can get rid of this off duty discussion. Or they can say - no political and religious threads, and then enforce it. Since they don't, they must think that "Off Duty Discussions" is the proper venue for this.

If you don't want to read a political thread, ignore it. Kinda like in your firehouse. If there is a discussion that you don't want to be a part of, you can walk away from it.

Firehouse.com isn't your firehouse. It isn't my firehouse. It is a website that host a forum/discussion board.

Just because you were told something to advoid when you were a probie, or as you put, a trial man, doesn't mean you have to always subscribe to that way of thinking, ie you could think for yourself.

I'm always skeptical of someone who want's to dampen the discussion on any issue.

Default OFF DUTY DISCUSSION

"The place for humourous posts, off-duty issues and discussion, for firefighters."

Permanently Removed

Default Whew...

I thought you were going to say other Firefighter's
    "Wives and Mothers".

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Re: Re: Two things you should never discuss

Originally posted by Farley

MOTOWN

First, obviously some care, look at the # of responses on these threads.

all from the same 5 or 6 members

Secondly - who put you in charge? If Firehouse.com wants to end political discussion, then their webteam can get rid of this off duty discussion. Or they can say - no political and religious threads, and then enforce it. Since they don't, they must think that "Off Duty Discussions" is the proper venue for this.

If you don't want to read a political thread, ignore it. Kinda like in your firehouse. If there is a discussion that you don't want to be a part of, you can walk away from it.

Threads have been locked and/or shut down by the webteam so they must not agree entirely with your statement. Unless people are proactive and send the webteam an official complaint if they are offended, posts or threads won't be shut down

Firehouse.com isn't your firehouse. It isn't my firehouse. It is a website that host a forum/discussion board.

Just because you were told something to advoid when you were a probie, or as you put, a trial man, doesn't mean you have to always subscribe to that way of thinking, ie you could think for yourself.

I'm always skeptical of someone who want's to dampen the discussion on any issue.

Even if the discussions creep into other threads?

Political and religious discussions inevitably bring out the worst in some people.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 09-27-2004 at 04:21 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I can think of a few other things which probably shouldn't be discussed.

respect

I try not to let anything political slip into other topics, I know it has occurred.

I'll bet the locked threads were not locked because of political or religious discussion, but because of name calling, bashing, etc.

Just like MOTOWN88 did to political posters at the start of this thread. "These forums have become a waste collection pool for classless tossers who think everyone is privy to their opinion on who should be President and for what reason. Heres a clue, no one cares what your opinion is and everyone has the duty to make ones own decision and vote according to ones convictions. Keep the political war out of the forums quite frankly you all sound like a bunch of wankers tossing off at the gob on a barstool at a dive pub. "

RspctFrmCalgary "Political and religious discussions inevitably bring out the worst in some people."

Rspct, I am certainly not refering to you, but I would say that in speaking out against political discussions, someone has brought out the worst in himself.

Forum Member

but I would say that in speaking out against political discussions, someone has brought out the worst in himself.

You have mistaken what you are involved in as Political discussion. Like I said before Classless tossers.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MOTOWN88

1. Religion - ]Code for "we dont' want to hear about religion"
    2. Politics - Code for "We'll tell you how to vote"

[/QUOTE

Again, MOTOWN - if you don't want to read a political opinion, don't look at the thread. You sound like the guy who picks up the playboy off the rack at the grocery and tells everyone how disgusting it is.

I might be mistaken, but it's not your job to determine what should be discussed.

I could see you're point if it was interejected in any of the other forum areas, but it's pretty much kept here in "Off Duty Discussion"

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Religion
    2. Politics

Love,
    MOTOWN
    You're a clasa act, yyou blowhard.

Here's a suggestion...

DON'T READ THE OFF DUTY FORUMS.

You are a disgrace.

the 4-1-4

Motown ..... There is no reason to get confrontational. You also have absolutely no right to be upset, besides, the solution is simple. There are 2 viable options for you, either don't read the thread, or read the thread and put everyone who posts on it on ignore. It's real simple. Your statement regarding the "waste collection pool for classless tossers" was interesting to say the least.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with engaging in political debate on these forums. In fact, for the most part I find the debate interesting, mostly because I would rather debate with people in my career field than just any joe blow walking down the street. If you don't like it, don't read it, and you certainly don't need to attack people about it.

Forum Member

I agree with MOTOWN that certain topics shouldn't be posted on certain forums and would be a good idea not to discuss at the fire house. However, politics and religion discussions are fair game in the "Off-Duty Discussion," with emphasis on the "Off-Duty." Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and has the right to discuss them.
    Hopefully in a mature and respectful manner...

MembersZone Subscriber

I find it repugnant that someone would want to interfere with the exchange of any ideas, be it political, religious, or of the variety of Pierce vs E-one vs Seagrave

Heck, i could write that I'm offended by people that don't want to see a question asked more than once, or offended that people plead to the moderators, or whatever.

I think the prevailing idea is correct. If you don't want to see a political post, then don't read it.

Forum Member

Default If you dont like it .dont read it .......

while I msut agree that the political threads grate on me some, I can certainly understand everyones opinion for posting and in another 2 months it will die down some. Hang tough Motown........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I was also told never to discuss politics or religon in a fire station, but I do agree we are not in a fire station. We are posting comments on an off duty discussion board on the INTERNET. With that said I personally don't like seeing the politics being discussed, but when I see a thread that has a subject I don't like or don't want to get involved with I just scroll by. I encourage others to do the same, if something looks like it will rub you the wrong way ignore it. And of course I have to agree that in a couple months the political discussion will die down, so hang on.

Forum Member

Brennan, aka MOTOWN is a friend of mine.

On the behalf of the "Irish tattooed hooligan", I think what he is trying to say is that the poltical and religion posts really arent going anywhere... they are like the liver and rutabaga dinner that nobody wants to eat... and the chef keeps trying to push it as the special of the day. There are people that like liver and rutabagas, and there are those that don't.

And now it's time for a thread hijack...

Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stout?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

If you dont want to read it, dont read it.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    And now it's time for a thread hijack...

Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stout?
    I like a different question. Bushmills or Jamesons?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

1. Religion
    2. Politics

And I don't. I have several who try to bait me on a daily basis. I tell them my politics or my religion are none of their business.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Where To Begin??.....................

Ahh, Got it. Most important item. Capt Gonzo, Sir, Jack and Ginger Please.

Two items. Politics. If you don't like the candidates, run yourself.

Religion. If the sermon rubs the wrong way, stay home, or go to a different church.

Having said that, here's my opinion. If a thread is rolling along on the merits of Seagrave over Ahrens Fox, PLEASE refrain from tossing in stupid stuff that is nowhere near relevant to the discussion, such as "Well, When Kerry is elected, he'll ban Seagrave Apparatus". People have actually done stuff that is that silly. OFF DUTY is the place for things like that, NOT Firefighting,Etc.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

"Keep the politics out of the firehouse". Ok, even though that's where the majority of the voting booths go on election day in my area, I'll tell them no.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Did you ever wonder if on religon or politcal forum sites they discuss firefighting?

Hmmmmmmm

Kinda like looking at the stars and wondering if someone is looking back at you............Mongo is truly just a pawn in the game of life.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information