Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Type II Wildland Interface Engine

Applying for a CDBG grant for 2 Type II Wildland Interface Engines. We need pump and roll capabilities, but it needs to be ISO Compliant. Will a 500 GPM Pump do that. I thought I had read some where that ISO was thinking of raising the minimum pump size from 500 to 750. Local small city has a 500gpm pumper and they are a Class 7. We are a 9/10 and trying to get to an 8. I was also wanting to know what types of drive is the best. The cost of a separate engine drive 750gpm pump is extremely high compared to a PTO pump, but you are limited on the pump and roll. We also thought about a 750 PTO pump with an auxilary 18hp pump for pump & roll Grass fighting. What about Hydrostatic drive pumps. I have seen some with 500gpm Hydrostat pumps, but no 750's. We need the most bang for our buck. We will be doing tanker shuttle so any pump above 750 will not be feasible until we have alot more water tankers. Building two 5ton 6x6 brush/tankers now. But those are the only two dump capable trucks we have.

Commercial or Custom Chassis?

2 wheel drive or 4x4?

Top Mount or Side Controls.

These options make a big difference. Give me an answer on the above and I will get you some answers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Smile Try this!

Try a 750 front mount on a commercial. American (Barton) used to be the leader in this field but I think that Hale makes one, might be others. It has pump and roll. Make sure your tank to pump lines are adequate to provide class A flow. I always recomend two lines. Also watch the weight. This not going to be a true "off road" vehicle like a pickup or jeep. Have fun and stay safe.

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

It will be a Commercial Chassis, Freightliner/International, Ford, Whoever gets the bid. 4x4 Chassis. Top mount controls. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought that 750 gpm was the lowest rated gpm they would accept. I'm not 100 percent, but pretty sure.

I don't know the wildland truck terminology (type 1, type 2, etc), but it sounds like these will also be the first in structural engines. I hate to see the trucks that are going to be drafting for fire suppression be such small pumps. An idea is to use a smaller pump (250 gpm tops) run off the pto or crank shaft and then do a normal split shaft pto for the bigger structural fire suppression pump. If you had a bigger 1000 gpm or larger engine to pump into these trucks on a structure fire, it wouldn't be a big deal, but if these are the mainline pumpers, I would make at least one of them a larger pump (750 or 1000 gpm).

As far as tankers, remember, there is mutual aid. Call them. I know politics may be an issue, but don't let be the reason why you can only show up to a barn fire with a small amount of water. Don't be afraid to build a little extra into the trucks either. Just because you can't supply the water now, don't design the truck so it won't pump it for the 20-30 year lifespan you'll have it.

Thread Information