BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Prank Wireless911 calls

I am sure a lot of people know about the prank Wireless 911 call in New Jersey last week. Has anyone sucessfully caught and prosecuted a prank wireless 911 caller and if so, how did you go about it? And disconnected phones that have a "911" area code. How can you go about tracing these phones if you are only Phase 1?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default what was the prank

forgive me, but i didnt go look if it was posted in the past, but what was the prank? anything major or serious? just looking for a lil info. thanks

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

There was a prank 911 call from a cellphone in Paterson NJ. Take a look at these:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6083341/

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wab...oaxpm11pm.html

Forum Member

Angry

June 07, 2004
    Hoax Sparks a Massive Search in Michigan
    A cell phone caller who claimed that he and a friend struck a tree while riding an ATV in Salem Township on Saturday touched off a massive overnight search by dozens of rescue workers and citizens, aided by helicopters overhead.
    Nine hours later, police discovered the report was a hoax and arrested a 25-year-old Redford man - as he was helping in the search efforts.

Police are still tallying up the costs of the massive search, which included 10 different agencies with officers, police dogs and helicopters, as well as members of the Civil Air Patrol out of Selfridge Air Force Base.

State police troopers worked with Nextel to get cell phone records and used those to get the name of the person who had possession of the phone, reports said. That person, posing as a volunteer firefighter, had offered to help in the search, Fellner said. He was taken to the command center and interviewed, then arrested, police said.

Forum Member

Unfortunately you cannot trace an un-initialized phone (911 area code).

These are phones that usually have been handed out to domestic abuse victims and such. Some agencies use in-house computer systems to keep track of the phones so they know who they belong too in case they get a call from one of them. Most agencies do not have this capability though.

While my agency has not had to track down 911 pranksters, I have heard of such cases and they have almost always been successful in court, the agrncy that is, not the prankster.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our police department provieds phones to domestic abuse victims, all the phones can do is call 911. But we are able to trace the number so that we can cross refrence it with the victims information. At dispatch we have a book of all the phones that have been issued with the suspects name, victims name, address and any other information that might be helpful.
    I know several times with the phantom 911 cell phone calls, we can contact the phone company and they can trace it even if the e911 system could not.

Forum Member

CT now has full phase II Cellular 911 implimented. You call 911 on a reletively new cell phone and your location pops up on a map. I am hoping this helps combat the problem. It has already proved it's worth in the first month. It located this poor elederly guy who rolled his car down an embankment out of sight of the road and didn't know where he was. It would have taken hours to find him without it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down RE Connecticut Wireless

The State of Connecticut and SBC "SAY" that wireless location identification is up and running fully in the State of CT - HOWEVER - all this means is that each service is providing SOME kind of locating service.

At the particular 911 Center I work, I would estimate that less then 40% of the Cellular 911 Calls that come in are "Phase 2" complete. And to complicate the issue, the location does not come up automatically when answered. The dispatcher has to perform a "REBID" of the wireless phone data (a button on the 911 system) to poll the phone for it's correct address. Then the dispatcher STILL has to confirm on the 911 screen that the position that is being provided is EVEN CLOSE, by examining what's called an "Uncertanity" Value.

There is still a LOT of work for this wireless 911 system to go, not to mention that the MAPS that SBC provided to the 911 centers are old, not accurate, and outdated, with no format to submit corrections or changes to the system.

Phew... I think I'm done!!

KM

Forum Member

Yes, but it is better than nothing.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information