Default employment check

hello, i wanted to know if quiting a previous job without giving two weeks notice could prevent me from getting a firefighting job in which i have gotten a conditional offer? i mean, i understand it's not right that i did it, but my mother was sick and passed away soon after. i know from a previous backround investigation that my previous employer will only state "quit without giving notice." to the investigator. Giving two weeks notice is not a law, just a common courtesy, right? this is the only stumbling block to me getting hired so i just wanted other opinions. I really considered not putting this employer on my application. So i guess another guestion i have is if i didnt put an employer on my app., how would they find out? i only worked there for about one month.

MembersZone Subscriber

i think that it just depends on the place of employment on if you can just walk out or if you have to give a 2 week notice. ive worked at places that you couldnt just quit, you had to give your 2 week notice. i cant remeber what they had against you if you didnt, but there was something. In places that dont require a 2 week notice, but it is common courtesy.

just wondering, did you just quit another firefighting job, or was this a non-fire related job?

no it wasnt a fire related job. during college i worked as a cashier for minimum wage at a liquor store. I didnt think at the time it would be a problem but now i worry. at the chief's interview they specifically asked if i ever had a problem with a previous employer and i said no. On my app. i listed "mother was sick" as a reason for leaving the job so i hope if it comes up that will suffice for an explaination. PS i did explain it to my boss at the time and he said OK he understood. so why is he now saying "quit without notice"? i have no idea. hopefully it wount be a big deal!!thanks for your response.

Default Two weeks notice

Please be very careful with withholding this type of information during the pre-employment screening. Recruiters are looking for trends and a one off such as this can be explained and is very reasonable. If you explain it, you are proving it was a one time occurrence and you build your trustworthiness. Never give way your trustworthiness because you can't get it back. If you appear to be misleading the department about small things they will wonder if you have presented yourself correctly about all other components of your personality. Now this is important: the problem is, a statement that is in all employment contracts and likely in the one you signed. Withholding information is considered being untruthful. In verifying your information ( a step that HR personnel are being trained to be more careful with )this type of info usually comes to light. Any agreement between people is dependant upon trust and employers can't risk employing untrustworthy firefighters in today's world.

Thread Information