+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Just Saw Ladder 49, And I...........

GENERAL NOTE FROM WEBTEAM: DO NOT READ THIS FORUM UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE OR DON'T MIND SPOILERS. THIS FORUM IS FOR DISCUSSION MOSTLY **AFTER** FOLKS HAVE SEEN THE FILM

My wife and I were honored to be invited to a private showing of Ladder 49. I think that it is an exceptional movie that portrays the Fire Service in a reasonable light. Most of the special effects things go well, but the nitpickers will find a few things to hammer on. Here's my Question: Will the first person who does not shed a tear at some point, while watching this movie, please let us all know?? One other thing: For the Volunteer departments out there, PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS MOVIE BEING SHOWN IN YOUR AREA TO DO SOME RECRUITING. There is a great opportunity in this, don't blow it. I think that the first date to see this movie for the public is Friday 10-1-04. Thanks, and enjoy. test
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Harve,
    You big cheater !!!!!!!!!! LOL .....glad you liked it.....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Lucky b ......... ummmmmmmm Harve!

I can hardly wait to see it, the commercials have me drooling for more!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

John Travolta and Joaquin Phoenix were in Boston today to promote the movie. The spent part of the day at Engine 33/Ladder 15's house on Boylston Street in the Back Bay section of downtown Boston.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Few more days!!! Fridays a busy day....Fire Prevention Details all day long..and then Ladder 49 at night time... Oh man I cant wait!!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad to hear that people are enjoying it, can't wait until i get to go see it. Friday i work all day, then Saturday I get to go take an entrance exam (Bismarck ND is hiring), might get to see it Sat. night.

MembersZone Subscriber

As Yosemite Sam said - "I hate you rabbit"

I'm gathering a group of folks to hit the Premier on Friday night. Also one of the local cinema's is offering Free Admission 10/2 - 10/15 to any Fire, EMS, or Police (with ID). On 10/2 & 10/3 they will be having door prize drawings for items donated by the local businesses and they will also have a special section of the parking lot roped off for any apparatus we wish to bring & show off.

Think I'll take the recruitment idea and kick it up the chain.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Mr.Woods that is a bunch of you know what!!!! Their is a group of us going to see it friday night. And I just recieived my free ticket from Firehouse/Nextel yesterday!!!
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I was also able to see the movie in a private showing a few weeks ago. I thought it excellent and sad at the same time.

There were a few scenes in which I thought, "I would they do that". I will not post them yet, because they will spoil the movie. However, it is a great movie despite that.

I did not think of using it as a recuiting tool, but will think about it and present it to our chief. That being said, the sad aspects of the movie may hinder recruitment.

One other thing: For the Volunteer departments out there, PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS MOVIE BEING SHOWN IN YOUR AREA TO DO SOME RECRUITING.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I guess we know that somebody is somebody.
    I don't recall this much excitement when Backdraft was released.
    I have offered to buy tickets for anyone on my fire department that wants to go. My money; not taxpayers'.
    Harv; you're right. This would be a great recruiting tool.
    Did you wear a tux to the private screening? Sip wine and munch on cucumber finger sandwiches? Did you double dip your chip?
    Congratulations to all the winners.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Thumbs up Excellent Movie!

I, too, was invited to see a sneak preview of Ladder 49 last night. The movie was absolutely excellent. The movie kept my attention and was not strictly comedy or drama, but a combination of both. The first half of the movie I laughed so hard..definitely some things that need to be repeated(or already have been) at my firehouse. The second half of the movie is a tear-jerker.. I don't think I've ever cried at a movie before so this was definitely a sad movie. Anyhow, before the movie there was lots of promotion. People won fire extinguishers, CO detectors, hats, patches, HFD CALENDARS!, etc. I also got a free ticket to see it again Friday!

The movie was great and I recommend it to both firefighters and non-firefighters alike. However, it hits a lot closer to home being a firefighter myself.

Oh yeah, one last thing. After the movie, a couple of people asked my friends and I if we were firefighters, and after we said yes, he asked us for our autographs. It was pretty neat. Alot of people also walked by and thanked us for 'what we do'. An excellent feeling indeed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Just Saw Ladder 49, And I...........

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hwoods
    [B] Here's my Question: Will the first person who does not shed a tear at some point, while watching this movie, please let us all know??

Thanks for the warning. I had a feeling this was going to be a real tear-jerker. I'm notorious for crying outloud in movies, and with my admiration for firefighters, I will probably be damned near hysterical in this one. Maybe my husband should sit somewhere on the other side of the theater so I don't embarrass the poor man.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Well.....

Guess I am the only insensitive ***** that didn't cry. Thought the movie had good and bad parts. Definitely has cheese but there are some funny moments. I would think twice before using this as a recruitment tool.

By the way they did a good job of stealing real life scenarios. The rope rescue was preformed by members of FDNY Rescue 1 in the early 1990s. There were some others but I don't want to spoil it too much.
    Last edited by drnapalm; 09-29-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Forum Member

Saw it tonight at our Invitation viewing. ABSOLUTELY blows backdraft out of the water.

Well worth going to. Little slow in some areas, but still a GOOD movie about firefighters!!

Forum Member

I will be there on Friday....... A local Theater is staying open for a group of us to view it so we can have the theater to ourselves.....

MembersZone Subscriber

T-minus 9 hours and countin'. I'm stoked.....
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

MembersZone Subscriber

4 hrs 30 minutes to go!!!
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

7 hrs and zero minutes to go!!!!

I'm a tad excited because not only am I going to see a KICKASS firefighting movie, but also because I haven't been to a movie theatre since I saw Roger Rabbit when one of the cruise ships I was on between '86 and '89 was in dry dock in Jacksonville!!!

Here comes PFire to tell us we're all freaking nuts !!!!!!

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Originally posted by ff7134
    4 hrs 30 minutes to go!!!
    I see you're not bragging about going to see it TWICE today

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

PEOPLE, PEOPLE ..... PEOPLE..... It's JUST a freaken movie .... man if you all are getting this excited about a picture show I'd hate to be around ya when something TRULY major happens in your lives. The phrase "Get a Life" comes to mind hahahahahhaha. I'm going to see it, but I'm not sitting here counting down, salivating and rubbing my hands together in anticipation *sigh* ...... Oh well, perhaps I just have better things to do; I'm busy.

Sheri, I don't think movie theaters have changed that much....... ya know fold up seats, sticky floors, surround sound, big screen, noisy teens, popcorn, M&M's ....... etc

**SIDENOTE: Before anyone gets their boxers in a bunch my post is almost totally tongue in cheek, I really fail to see the hubbub though but to each their own.**
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Prices have gone up!!

HAHAHAH I'm a little miss smarty-pants

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Yeah prices have gone up BUT ........

weren't you TREATED to your ticket??????
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Why yes, yes I was

I was going to treat for popcorn though HAHAHAHA

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I jsut got back from the first showing here in Tee-town........... past the whole how did Jack get himself in the predicament it was a much better show than Backdraft...........Fire people should like it .......others will not "get it". I see that our local guy and People magazinr didnt really give it a positive response .........but then again .............how many fires have they been too ? I hope you all enjoy it.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

Thread Information