Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Full time and still looking. What to do?

I am looking for advice on what the best plan is for me. I have read a lot of the post here over the last few weeks and feel that there is a good network of experienced people here. However; I have not seen anybody with a situation similer to mine.

I am currently employed as a full time firefighter/operator with a smaller department Colorado. I ended up out here from the state of Minnesota because I had the ambition to become a full time FF. I tested and was accepted to a "live in FF intern program" with my present department. During that time I lived in a firehouse 24/7 and was requred to work 6- 24 hour shifts a month. The department would pay for all my fire science education in return. Upon recruitment I went through a 8 week FF one acadamy. I worked in this position for a period of 16 months before being hired as a full time employee.

Although I like my current place of employment I have a strong desire to move on to a bigger department. I am only 23 years old and I feel that my education and experience is extensive. I am certified as FF2, Driver Operator Pumper, EMT-B, Wildland, Haz-Mat ops, Car Seat safety Tech, have about 45 credits of fire science ed along with various other trainings.

I have tested for number of departments in MN,IA,SD,AZ,CO without success. I am wondering if I would be wrong in quiting my current job to attend paramedic school. It seems that doing that would give me better odds. What do you guys think? Would I be stupid to give this up in order to go to P-School? This is just a very big deision and I am looking for some outside advise. Sorry fo the long dragging post but, thanks for the input in advance.

kclarkerfpd@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING

listen a small fire dept is better than no fire dept. listen boss I am a new Medic out here in the midwest and I am still looking for a ff job. stay there you were lucky to get the job the way you did. if you want to be a medic maybe your dept will work with you on your attending while you work. just goes to the chief and tell him that you want to be a medic. but STAY THERE because you have your time building up there hope all goes well with you and good luck

GOD BLESS ALL OF OUR BROTHERS IN FIRE AND E.M.S. WORLD

Don't quit to go to Medic School, go while you are working and you can get your current department to pick up some or all of the tab, then decide if you still want to move to another place.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Full time and still looking. What to do?

Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned that my department does not have any paramedics. All of our staff is certified to the EMT-B level only. That is where the problem is. I should also note that my biggest goal is to be in the Phoenix area. It seems very copetitive there and a lot of departments are doing ALS. Thanks again...

Default opinion

i'm no expert but i work as a firefigher for lockheed martin in Denver. I just finished paramedic school and have already recieved 8 letters to test with departments in the area!! i have to say it will open some doors if you should decide to do it. that being said, if your heart isnt into paramedic school you'll NEVER pass!! it's a very difficult program. you cant go into it soley because you want to be a FF. Thats the reason i went into it and i almost failed out. luckily i rededicated myself and changed my mindset/focus and made it thru.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've gotta agree with Brian. Be lucky you are on a full time department. I'd damn near kill for what you got there.

If you can swing work and putting yourself through Paramedic school then all the power to you.

Unfortunately for myself I never went further than EMT-B and with most departments wanting Paramedics, I'm payin' for it. I'd love to see a full time department in my neck of the woods that just has B's.

All the best of luck to you.

Gus

Thread Information