Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Boy Scouts To Play Victims In Upstate Mass-Casualty Terror Drill

POSTED: 8:28 am EDT September 29, 2004

ROOT, N.Y. -- Today's Boy Scouts are learning more than how to tie knots and read a compass. They're also being drilled in responding to a terrorist attack.

This weekend, hundreds of Scouts will take part in what's being called the biggest disaster drill held in upstate New York since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The drill is part of a camporee being hosted by the Twin Rivers Council of the Boy Scouts of America. The event being held in the Mohawk Valley town of Root is expected to draw more than 2,000 Scouts from across northeastern New York.

Organizers said about 1,000 of them will be portraying victims in a mass-casualty disaster drill. They'll be gathered on a soccer field as an airplane flies over and drops confetti.

Officials said the confetti will represent a sprayed chemical.

Dozens of fire departments, ambulance crews, hospitals and other emergency-services organizations will take part in the drill.
    © 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Not a bad idea; we might just find ourselves a few firefighters in the troop.

I was under the impression that many states do not allow live victim extrication practices/demo's: is that correct?

We use teen actors from the local highschool just prior to graduation to help bring home the don't drink and drive message.

While it is not a good practice to utilize live victims for extrication, MCI drills is a different story. In my area the local boy scouts are used as victims for our annual plane crash MCI drill. They bring in make up artists to moulage the victims and then turn us loose on them. I thought it was a fairly common practice.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt
    While it is not a good practice to utilize live victims for extrication, MCI drills is a different story. In my area the local boy scouts are used as victims for our annual plane crash MCI drill. They bring in make up artists to moulage the victims and then turn us loose on them. I thought it was a fairly common practice.

That's my question: is it a fairly common practice to utilize "non-adults" and what are the guidelines?
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Our VFD (to my tiny knowledge) has never done an MCI but I think it could be a very valuable exercise.

Generally, there are adult chaperones both at the MCI location, and if we are transporting casualties anywhere there will be chaperones at that location as well. If there are a large number of casualties being transported (ie. walking wounded) an adult chaperone will ride with them to supervise their behavior.
    As far as it being common practice, we have had MCI drills at least 5-6 times since I have joined the FD, and all of those times but one, they have used the boy scouts as casualties. I do know the kids love doing it.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Thanks for the info.
    We haven't got Boy Scouts out here in the sticks but maybe a junior hockey team or two??

we are living proof of live victims being a bad idea for extrication.

1998 My wife gets glass caught in her moulaged legs- minor cuts

2001 I get glass caught in my shorts- 7 stitches in my hand(tried to swipe it away)

2002 my buddy (as a responder) forgot to put his gloves on and popped a window 36 stitches and a severed nerve later he's back to work

yes I know my buddy and I were idiots.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Thread Information