Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Barre City Vermont Home Saved by the FD

Woooohooo for my brothers in Barre City! Too bad I wasn't there at the house when this came in

BARRE – Fire crews from Barre City and Berlin arrived at a house fire on Marcell Avenue Tuesday afternoon just in time to keep the blaze from spreading from a one-car garage to the main living space.

Water was still dripping from the fire-gutted garage Tuesday evening and a thin haze of smoke hung over the one-story home on the corner of Marcell and Snow Avenue. The black and smoldering aftermath of the blaze was limited primarily to the garage, and though the living space suffered extensive smoke and water damage, the house structure, at least, looked intact.

Homeowner Janet Hammond was at work when the fire started. She lives in the house with her two children and a foreign exchange student; one of the children was in the house when the fire began. No one was hurt, and the family's four dogs and guinea pig also escaped injury."The fire was already starting to break through the attic when we got here," said Peter John, chief of the Barre City Fire Department. "There's considerable water and smoke damage, but the guys did a great knockdown job and we got it under control."

Investigators with the Vermont State Police have yet to determine the cause of the fire. The house was insured.

By the time the fire engines arrived, a legion of concerned neighbors had gathered outside to tend to the displaced animals and children. As firefighters extinguished hotspots, friends hugged Hammond and offered whatever services they could.

"I have wonderful neighbors. They're absolutely the best neighbors," said Hammond, who said she doubted she would stay in the house Tuesday night. "I had put a new roof, new siding last year, put thousands and thousands of dollars into it. My timing is always good."

The heat melted power lines attached to the corner of the garage, so firefighters had to contend with "arcing, popping" hotwires on the lawn. Power was immediately shut off to the house.

Insurance adjusters will assess the damage, but a composed Hammond seemed to be handling the setback well.

"There's a saying," Hammond said. "Everything always works out in the end, and if it's not working out, then it isn't the end."

The Times Argus' Website

Oh, and that's not a Boston FD firefighter there, it's a Berlin VT firefighter!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Man.. ya gots to love Berlin's new gear design.

I think using that logo was against their better judgement...

former FH.com member

Question

What makes you say that 42VT?...just curious, thats all.

SAFD -- I was pretty sure Boston (or maybe it was Baltimore..) Fire Department used that same logo.

One like this;
    Attached Images Attached Images  

former FH.com member

Yeah, I know Boston's gear has that logo although it looks just a little bit different than Barre City's. You know what they say "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery". I dunno... I think the gear looks sharp.

Heeey now! Don't be getting us city boys confused with Berlin!

former FH.com member

Talking oops!

Sorry 42VT, I meant Berlin. My apologies.

Thread Information