Thread: Accountability

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Accountability

Regards from Canada,

This is my first comment on this forum. I've been reading comments from different parts on this site and it's refreshing to find such an interesting source of information. I'm from the eastern part of country where firefighting is probably the last item on the funding priority list.

I have a question about accountability systems. What do you use and how do you use it? We're a volly service with 40 members for a small city of 18000 people. We average 200 to 250 calls every year.

Regards,

S.A.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use the Passport accountability system that was first developed in Seatle.

If you are not familiar with it. Each rig has a velcro and plastic "passport" that identifies the company Ladder 113, Squad 107, Engine 638, etc.
    At the begining of shift or while responding for a vol company, firefighters place their nametags on the passport. A nametag is a .5" by 3" plastic tag attached by velcro to the passport. When arriving on the scene the company officer gives his passport to the IC or sector officer then does his assignment. After the assignment he gets the passport back and it goes with the company officer to rehab or another sector for another assignment.

For us it works well, their are a lot of systems out there, I would sugest that you you go with whatever system is used in the area. And the most important thing is to use the system you pick on every call.

Any other questions just ask.

Forum Member

We don't use tags or any other type of formal accountability system. It's more of the car counting method, as in, "Has anyone seen Dave? His car is parked down the street so he must be here somewhere."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ours is similar to the passport system ADSNWFLD described, except that rather than personnel assignments by vehicle, it is a bit more indididual. Each truck has a key ring with that trucks number on it. Each member has a helmet tag, with "Your" number on it, in my case #27.

So when we are responding the guy in the officer seat grabs the tags from everyone in the crew and clips them on. When we arrive, if the scene is such that close accountability is required, ie a structure fire, he passes the truck tag to Accountability. That way we know which trucks have arrived, and who they carried. After that, accountability it carried out on a wipe board, with the names of who doing what.

A small variation, but very simple too. We also carry spare tags in case mutual aid companies come up, or other memebers of the dept respond direct, as we normally carry a few sets of spare gear in the Rescue truck.

As for Cellblock's method............. I just hope it works well for you guys. May Your Force Be With You and Keep You All Safe.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours is much like Malahat's system. We each have tags which we pass to the officer when we get on the apparatus. Depending on the level of accountability needed, we either leave the rings on the rig or take them to command/accountability.

In addition, we recieved a grant last year and purchased the Grace Industries accountability system. We are still working out the details on how to use it, especially when dealing with other departments, but it seems to work well.

Forum Member

We use a tag system. The tags go on the rig when we report for duty.

For off duty response for mutiple alarms: someone is assigned to be the accountability officer and collect the tags.

There is also a riding list. The shift roster/riding list is made up by the duty officer at HQ, not only does it have the names of those on duty, it also has the portable radio identifier for their position on the rig. This is faxed up uo Fire Alarm at the start of each shift by the duty officer. If Fire Alarm gets an emergency alarm, they can see what portable triggered it and they know who is in trouble, this info can then be relayed to the IC on scene.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-30-2004 at 06:12 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
    We use the Passport accountability system that was first developed in Seatle.

If you are not familiar with it. Each rig has a velcro and plastic "passport" that identifies the company Ladder 113, Squad 107, Engine 638, etc.
    At the begining of shift or while responding for a vol company, firefighters place their nametags on the passport. A nametag is a .5" by 3" plastic tag attached by velcro to the passport. When arriving on the scene the company officer gives his passport to the IC or sector officer then does his assignment. After the assignment he gets the passport back and it goes with the company officer to rehab or another sector for another assignment.

For us it works well, their are a lot of systems out there, I would sugest that you you go with whatever system is used in the area. And the most important thing is to use the system you pick on every call.

Any other questions just ask.
    We use the same system. Works good for us. We also have a command board in the front line engines which also contain tags for our common mutual aid companies and also spare blank tags that we can write on with a grease pencil to use.

Forum Member

We use a helmet tag with a velcro backing that goes on a board in the truck. The driver is responsible for bringing thier board to command when they arrive. Wish I could say we use it all the time but we don't .. though it is getting better. I have learned that if its used for training and all runs it becomes a habit, but be patient, it takes time.

Forum Member

our system involvs 4 tags

we have metal tags with our name on one side and the dept. name on the other.

the first tag stays on the truck you came in on. the second goes to the staging officer, the third goes to the person that gives you a task, and the fourth stays on your person (just in case the s*** hits the fan)
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

Another variation on the theme from this side of the pond...

Each vehicle carries a Nominal Roll Board, basically a 5x4 write on/wipe off board, which has the Appliance callsign, station and time/date of dispatch on it, as well as space for the number of riders.

At the start of the shift the OIC fills in the names of all riders on that vehicle, or for the POC crews, it is filled in en route to the incident, with the rank of each rider as well as their surname.

At any job above 1 pump, each OIC takes his Roll Board to the appliance designated as Command where they are placed in the Incident Command Case. At any given time, the OIC or Command Support Officer can tell how many personnel are at the job, and head counts are easy if needs be.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

If you'll let me add a little humor with a story here...

A few years ago when I was doing paramedic ride time with a very progressive department, I learned about their accountability system using 2 tags per person, one staying clipped to the bunker coat & the other clipped with the rest of the company's other tag & given to command. Well as a student, I had a red "Student" tag that stayed with the ambulance crew. My preceptor decided early on in my time there that I should be nicknamed Skippy, and this spread through the department like a bad rumor! Well, one day I'm cutting grass (my other gig) and I decided I needed my own tag. As it turned out, I had a nearly-finished jar of PB at home, and wouldn't ya know, Skippy! So I cleaned the lid, drilled a hole for a ring & beaner, and so was born the affectionately dubbed "Skippy tag."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Originally posted by kghemtp
    If you'll let me add a little humor with a story here...

A few years ago when I was doing paramedic ride time with a very progressive department, I learned about their accountability system using 2 tags per person, one staying clipped to the bunker coat & the other clipped with the rest of the company's other tag & given to command. Well as a student, I had a red "Student" tag that stayed with the ambulance crew. My preceptor decided early on in my time there that I should be nicknamed Skippy, and this spread through the department like a bad rumor! Well, one day I'm cutting grass (my other gig) and I decided I needed my own tag. As it turned out, I had a nearly-finished jar of PB at home, and wouldn't ya know, Skippy! So I cleaned the lid, drilled a hole for a ring & beaner, and so was born the affectionately dubbed "Skippy tag."
    You never should have told us.......

I make a motion that Kevin no longer exists, and Skippy shall take his place.....

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77
    You never should have told us.......

I make a motion that Kevin no longer exists, and Skippy shall take his place.....
    SECOND.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I concur! All in favour?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Skippy?

I dunno...

Will we have to specify "Creamy" or "Chunky"?

(I'm a JIF kinda guy myself.)

For the longest time, the only "Skippy" I knew of was this one -
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

I have seen two types of hardware: the Passport system as previoulsy described, and the Clements (now Salamander Technologies). The Clements system is a laminated card with personal info, on a small strap and snaphook. You hook your tag to the apparatus tag when you go on duty, or respond to a run. Typically, the Company officer hooks his/her tag to the appartus ring, and each person the Co. Officer is responsible for is hooked to his/her ring. You can develop the entire chain of command by the way you hook the name tags to rings.
    The most important thing is to use the system. Your accountability system rarely fails due to the hardware involved, more than likely, it fails due to the hardheads involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use a passport system as well. At the begining of each shift everyone gives 2 velcro name tags to the Officer. The Officer then attaches the tags to 2 different passports. The top tag is the Officer. The second tag is turned upside down to identify the Engineer. Next is FF1 and last is FF2/Hydrant Bee-otch.

1 Passport stays in the rig to show who is on it and the other passport gets turned in to the IC.
    Stay alert and be safe.

Forum Member

Originally posted by bolivas203
    We use a passport system as well. At the begining of each shift everyone gives 2 velcro name tags to the Officer. The Officer then attaches the tags to 2 different passports. The top tag is the Officer. The second tag is turned upside down to identify the Engineer. Next is FF1 and last is FF2/Hydrant Bee-otch.

1 Passport stays in the rig to show who is on it and the other passport gets turned in to the IC.
    Pretty close to us. Two passports per unit, red and yellow. Yellow has tags from all crew members, officer on top, driver upside down on the bottom rest of the crew in between. The yellow stays in the unit at all times. Red has only the officer and crew except for the driver. The drivers tag does not go on the red one unless they get assingned a task with the rest of the crew. The red one is removed and taken to whatever sector the unit has been assigned.

The tags are also color coded. White for officers, orange for FF/EMT and blue for FF/Medic.

Dave

Forum Member

Thumbs up Clemson/Salamander

We also use this sysetm with the command module and PDA Deployment. YOu can find out more info at www.jhtsafety.com or email our rep Justin Adams justin.adams@jhtsafety.com

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Fire-Trax

Originally posted by LFD2203
    I have seen two types of hardware: the Passport system as previoulsy described, and the Clements (now Salamander Technologies). The Clements system is a laminated card with personal info, on a small strap and snaphook. You hook your tag to the apparatus tag when you go on duty, or respond to a run. Typically, the Company officer hooks his/her tag to the appartus ring, and each person the Co. Officer is responsible for is hooked to his/her ring. You can develop the entire chain of command by the way you hook the name tags to rings.
    The most important thing is to use the system. Your accountability system rarely fails due to the hardware involved, more than likely, it fails due to the hardheads involved.
    LFFD2230 are you using the stand alone PASS-V System? If so, have you thought about moving up to the Pocket PC version? We currently use this along with the Command and Rapid Tag Verison and it works great for the small scenes to the large scale sceen in which we have multi-agency response.

Thanks,

Super 64Super64

Forum Member

We use a two tag system...One tag has a number,mine being 33, which stays on the Apparatus you go on...In each truck there is a binder with everyone in the depts Number and Name...Your Officer takes that tag and Clips it into the binder...The other tag is givin to the Accountability officer stationed by the entrance to the building..This has your name and dept initials on it
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
    We use a two tag system...One tag has a number,mine being 33, which stays on the Apparatus you go on...In each truck there is a binder with everyone in the depts Number and Name...Your Officer takes that tag and Clips it into the binder...The other tag is givin to the Accountability officer stationed by the entrance to the building..This has your name and dept initials on it
    Our basic Pass-V is the same Fire Dept. We like this because it gives all the qualifications/Picture/Medical Information all in one tag. Myself at 32 having two Heart Attacks/Diabeates I love the Medical Info part. All they have to do is cut the tag open and it has your meds, prior history etc. You can see more at the company we bought from www.jhtsafety.comWe have one that responders place on the unit/one that they give to safety upon entering structure and they also keep one in front right coat pocket. The are so easy to make we can print out man copies. Then we deploy the electronic system to manage the scene upone a larger incident. If it's just a two company operations we just us our palm devices or used the Incident board.

Forum Member

We use the Seattle system. Works great if people remember to use it.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use a 2 tag system also (not too expensive). One tag stays on the truck the other tag goes to accountability officer. Personally I keep both tags on the helmet ring so they are always with your ppe. Our dept has 2 different colors blue for reg members and yellow for probies (easy to see).

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Maybe we ought to go back to the old days, when you just counted the pick up trucks that was still on the fire scene after every one cleared and returned!

Having some one standing at the door collecting tags, is not where they should be. When you are taking it in, you really don't want some dude or dudette in your way collecting tags. This should have been done back at the command post.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information