Thread: Q

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Q

We are looking at putting and eQ on our new tanker, do we need dual siren controls? Also a LED Federal light bar? Need Input

Forum Member

The eQ2B does not require dual siren controls. It operates similar to any other electronic siren in that you can only use one function at a time, i.e. Q, Wail, Yelp, "air horn," or PA, not a combination of any of those.

The Federal Signal e-Q2B.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

The EQ can be setup two ways:

First, you can have just the buttons and/or foot pedals, no control panel. You can have a brake button as well.

The other method is with the EQ2B control panel. With that, you have a knob with the following:

Off (Duh)

Manual (Push the button/horn/foot pedal and the siren goes woo just like a Q)

Auto Cycle: Automaticly cycles the Q up and down at a regular rate. Makes it very easy since you don't have to push buttons. You can still push the manual buttons and hold it "cranked".

There is an airhorn button but I suspect you won't need that since the tanker probably has real horns already.

There is a Brake function. It sounds so stupid, I would disconnect the button. I compare it to a dying cow that's been hit by a Greyhound bus and run over repeatedly.

There is a PA mic on the control panel version if you so choose to use it.

If you want an LED lightbar, forget the Federal POS. Get a Whelen LED Freedom Bar. Perhaps the most powerful lightbar ever created by man.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

How does it sound ???

Forum Member

Well, they aren't too bad. They sounds almost the same for the most part. Like I said, the "brake" sounds really stupid.

Forum Member

nm, I have to disagree, We recently got one on our new tower and I think it sounds like garbage. Also we have had problems with it constantly going off when hittings bumps. It took the sales company 3 attempts to get it right so far, we are only about a week into the third repair. This time they replaced the entire unit. However that might just be a fluke that we got, I wouldn't put it down for that unless others come up with the same problem.

Forum Member

Cutting off when hitting a bump is a installation defect. A wire or connection is not done properly and the jolt of a bump is making it break contact. Either that or the speaker is suffering from the same dillema. If replacing the unit fixes it, then it was a bad connection inside the unit.

That might be why it sounds like garbage. Sounds to me like it was just installed poorly.

Forum Member

Do you have room for a regular "Q"? The eQ's are ok, but they are made for smaller units without the room or electrical system to support a regular Q. If you have the room and the system will handle it, nothing beats the real thing.

What LED bar are you looking at? Federal has the new "Solaris" LED's that look pretty good (on paper anyway).

Dave

Forum Member

The brake is definately a down fall of the eQ2B. We haven't had any problems with our system (knock on wood).
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

jet stream jlx6001 which is a solaris
    Last edited by sklump; 10-20-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Forum Member

We had plenty of room for a 'real' Q and we have the alternator to run it. When I did up the specs for warning equipment on the truck and presented it to the committee, my goal was to make use of all the technology I could to reduce the load on it. The lightbar is all LED, creating a huge relief on the electrical system. The lower front & rear lightheads are LED, another savings on the system. I pushed for the electronic Q to go along with that principle. Actually, I wanted the Whelen X-Ecutor but it turned out to not be available. Ended up having to go with the E-Q.

And you know, it is just a siren; as long as people who are listening hear it and pull over, it is doing it's job. 99.9% of the people are not going to say "HEY! That isn't real! I'm not pulling over!"

If you want an LED lightbar, the ONLY one you should even concider is the Whelen Freedom bar. I've seen the federal, and code 3 "attempts" at a fully size LED bar and they pale in comparison. I think I actually laughed at one of them while at the Chief's show in Mass.

If you want an LED lightbar, the ONLY one you should even concider is the Whelen Freedom bar. I've seen the federal, and code 3 "attempts" at a fully size LED bar and they pale in comparison. I think I actually laughed at one of them while at the Chief's show in Mass.
    I swear I had MANY seizures while walking through some of the events. I dont know what was worse though, listening to little kids play with sirens and airhorns inside the building, or seeing all the lightbar displays.

Forum Member

Another thing that helps is making all the "regular" lights LED. brake lights, tail lights, turn signals, side markers, etc. Thats takes a good chunk out of the load as well. They do make LED reverse lights but i don't like them. I keep those halogen still and for that matter, have the scene lights all come on in reverse as well. Oh, compartment lights are now using LED as well!

The end result of all of this? This truck can be sitting IDLE at a scene with every emergency light, every big 12v halogen scene light, the Air Conditioner, compartment lights, hazzard flashers, and headlights all turned on and the volt meter stays solid right where it should be. No voltage drop, the load manager never has to kick in, no high idle reving loud engine and noxious fumes.

Forum Member

Hehe,we can leave ours idling all night with a NON led light load on too.If the batteries get below about 13v the auto kicker throttles the engine up until the system is satisfied and returns to idle.Leds are great both in terms of service life and power draw.You'll see a lot more of them as the prices continue to come down.T.C.

Forum Member

nm, I beleive that the problem was in the head itself. No probelms still with new unit. However I don't understand how a poor speaker connection can make the unit sound if it is not getting a signal from the power head, or maybe my first post was misleading the way I worded it. If you did take the first post correctly can you explain how a bad speaker connection can activate the siren so I'm not too confused with the wiring.

Forum Member

Wait, you mean it turns ON by itself. I thought you meant it was cutting OFF when you hit a bump. That's different. Is it going into auto mode or is it like someone just tapped the cycle button? If it is like someone tapped the cycle button, it could be the control head or it could be a bad wire going to the cycle input (normally connected to a foot pedal or steering wheel horn button). If there are foot pedals, it could also be a bad foot pedal.

Forum Member

It was going to auto cycle, however it does not matter now because the new head fixed the problem. As for if it sounds any better, don't know I'm on the engine this week. I'll let you know if my opinion changes any.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cannot wait to hear how it sounds...
    Last edited by BVFD1983; 01-15-2006 at 07:43 PM.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

Anyone have any experience with LED lightbars not being effective at certain angles? Some have heads at 90 and 45 degree angles, but if you are approaching the vehicle at say 15, 30, or 60 degrees, light intensity drops off a lot. Seems to me a rotating halogen or intersection-type light is still the way to go.

Forum Member

Not a problem if you buy a quality product. Whelen's Liberty and Freedom LED bars all have excellent 360 degree coverage.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's all in the optics...
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Run a Q

Hello, We are currently in the process of specs on a new custom pumper. This truck is coming with a 24" extended bumper. Sounds like a good place for a Q. I am wondering what electrical will it take to run a Q. This truck currently has one 100amp siren and dual air horns. Will the lights and siren affect weather or not we can run a Q. This truck comes with a three bank of 12v batt. with 210 min of reserve capacity. The truck has a 270 amp altenator. We have no desire to put a electrical Q siren on this truck. It will be a Real Q or no Q.

It ain't a firetruck unless it has a Q.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default eq

our new rescue pumper is coming with one, it is actually the only one around. so it should turn some heads, we also went with the federal solaris led lightbar.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Thread Information