Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Name tapes were not even required until 2 days AFTER my DISCHARGE!

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Name tapes were not even required until 2 days AFTER my DISCHARGE!
    You Ole Salt!....What's next.....??? Old Corps, New Corps?....If your Duece gear is the same as mine then you ain't old corps!...

LOL!...I am just "F'n" with you.....My desert cammie never got name tapes...they still have the Iron On "USMC" with Eagle, Globe, And Anchor.
    IACOJ Member

Just to continue hijacking the thread and ticking people off about jarhead talk....

I was in the first series to graduate from The Island in 1992. Couldn't wear the utilities (I HATE and I do mena HATE the word cammies) with the name tapes until the last week or so after BWT. Ahhh, BWT. Nothing like running around the airfield, doing land nav around the swamp, DIs playing games while you're doing it, howitzer simulator..... Does it ever get better than that? Plus you actually got to grow out the top of your hair to show off that you were phase 3 and gonna graduate in a week or two.

As for the iron on, I remember when they came out with the final date that you could not put "USMC" on your pocket of the blouse. All of us in before then with "salty" utilities held on to them for dear life so we could keep the heritage alive.

Crucible is a good thing, and you may get the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor in your hand, but you are still not a Marine until you are dismissed by your SDI.

I know they are most likely not prowling around here, but I'll still thank SDI GySgt. Bentley, GySgt. Ventura, GySgt. Ebanol, and Sgt. Power for making me into the straight arrow lunatic that I am today. I still have idea how we ended up with 3 gunnies but they were still cool.

Semper Fi! Carry on.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    Just to continue hijacking the thread and ticking people off about jarhead talk....

I was in the first series to graduate from The Island in 1992. Couldn't wear the utilities (I HATE and I do mena HATE the word cammies) with the name tapes until the last week or so after BWT. Ahhh, BWT. Nothing like running around the airfield, doing land nav around the swamp, DIs playing games while you're doing it, howitzer simulator..... Does it ever get better than that? Plus you actually got to grow out the top of your hair to show off that you were phase 3 and gonna graduate in a week or two.

As for the iron on, I remember when they came out with the final date that you could not put "USMC" on your pocket of the blouse. All of us in before then with "salty" utilities held on to them for dear life so we could keep the heritage alive.

Crucible is a good thing, and you may get the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor in your hand, but you are still not a Marine until you are dismissed by your SDI.

I know they are most likely not prowling around here, but I'll still thank SDI GySgt. Bentley, GySgt. Ventura, GySgt. Ebanol, and Sgt. Power for making me into the straight arrow lunatic that I am today. I still have idea how we ended up with 3 gunnies but they were still cool.

Semper Fi! Carry on.
    What Battalion? We had a Sgt. Bentley in '89 in 3rd BN, he picked up Staff Sgt meritoriously at our graduation and was a real go getter, I could see him picking up Gunny in two years.

My series was the last to graduate from Parris Island in 1989, just a few days before Christmas, best present ever! The start of out training was delayed two weeks due to Hurricane Hugo and we were scared we would be stuck there for Jesus' birthday. We were the very last guys and girls to become Marines and not be issued Dress Blues as basic issue. Sucked to go for our final fitting and seeing the nasty 2nd phasers behind us getting fitted for Blues.

I graduated from 1st Battalion right at the big grinder. Used get so depressed doing firewatch and looking across the swamp and river and seeing Beufort going at night. All three months that I was there, I never knwe if went down the end of the street and turned right the 24 store I could have walked off of the Island. Good thing I didn't. There is something about going UA and spending some time in the brig that I just never wanted to experience.

Our Gunny Bentley was a computer dude. I can't recall his exact MOS though I know it had to do with computers of some sort. Good guy too. Used to torment us about he was going home to have some "good times" with his wife, as he put it. Came in with a smile on his face the next day, so I guess he did. His wife was a WM (you could use that term back then).

No disrespect intended here, but I am so thankful I never got stuck with the "Third Heard."

We graduated as "the Birthday Series" on November 6, 1992. I still have my dress blues. Can still fit into the blouse itself, but I can't button it since I have buled up since I was discharged (and I don't mean fat bulked up, muscle bulk up). At least I got my blood stripe before I got out. Nice sense of accomplishment too.

Funny story time.... A couple of years ago my wife and I stopped in at the Island and were having a nice time too. We were just about to go into the base chapel and look at the stained galss when I looked across at the grinder and saw a whole bunch of DIs right under the bleachers near the Iwo statue. My wife wanted a hug and kiss and I saw a DI or two looking in our general direction.

Fear struck me (amazing how that can happen after having graduated 10 years prior) and I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't do the PDA thing and falshed back to the reaming the DIs gave us. To say that she was ******ed off is an understatement. It was a LONG drive back to Massachusetts from there. She just kept giving me "The Look" for a few hours and could not understand why I felt that way. I must have appologized at least a hundred times. She has since gotten over it, but still likes to try and embarass me with that story in groups of friends and acquaintances though.

Ruined what would have been a great visit to flash back and revisit Leatherneck Square, the Chapel (we never did even get into it), and go over near my old barracks.

I keep saying to her that I want to go back since it is only 6 hours away now instead of 18, and she asks me if I'll kiss her this time. I think I'm going alone this time so I don't have to worry about it.

PS - also while we were in recruit training, we heard the platoon below us doing the manual of arms with foot locker for ticking of their heavy. They were not a happy bunch of guys the next morning either.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information