MembersZone Subscriber

Default written test question

I recently took a written test for a F.D. and am baffled by the psych type questions that were at the end .

The first 105 questions on the test were fairly simple, fire related, math related, the last 50 questions were all requiring a response like "Stongly agree / Agree / Disagree / Strongly Disagree "

I know it is likely that they are using my responses to fit me into a personality profile but how can I do better at this type of questioning. It almost seems like being set up to fail no matter how you answer the questions??

I am a Career Firefighter / EMT of 6 years now and I think a really competant one but this test makes me wonder if I will even make it to the interview because I have no clue how I did yet and it is really bugging me.

Anyone with any insight or past experience in taking this type of test? Please reply with any helpful hints for next time.

Default TEST QUESTIONS

Sounds like a test I took recently. Who did (fire dept.) you test for? That would help narrow it down alittle.

The test I took was by the CWH Management soulutions company. This is a test used by alot of departments in VA,MD areas. This has to be one of the worse fire department tests I have seen in awhile when it comes to the emotion and stress questions. You can get all of the questions right in the problem solving area, but when it comes to the psych. questions if you score poor in that area your overall score drops fast.

But it is a cheaper way for these departments to test people. Hire a company to publish and grade a test instead of having the human resource department do it. It is very cost effective solution.

I heard that the psych questions come from career firefighers that took the test already. a selected group of firefighers say fifty of them took the test. If 45 out of 50 answered " C " for that question it must be the most apporiate answer to the question. Thus the company made that the right answer. Know this is rumour I heard so who knows how they set it up.

When I took the FDNY EMS psych exam it was like 300 written questions and then a interview with a psych doctor. This is the most accurate way to test your psych level.

I guess these examines will continue and the only thing you have to do is out smart them and give them what they are looking for. What it is I really don't know, because some of the most craziest people I know are career firefighters. And by the way I did pass the FDNY psych exam so im not crazy!!!!! LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

In the Maryland and Virgina area, Howard County Md uses this type of test. Washington DC also used this type of test last year, but told use that these questions would not affect our score (YEA RIGHT) Fairfax VA and Montgomery County MD did not use this type last test. I also think it sucks because they are hand picking who they want with these questions. Should I answer with my gut feeling or lie to try to answer them "correctly" ?

MembersZone Subscriber

I know, it is so frustrating because I am a career firefighter already and am wanting to move back home to Minnesota. I have to do this test that really does not allow me to "shine".

This test was in St. Louis Park, MN and I just want to get on the Department to finish out my carreer and be a great public servant in a place I really do want to be, but I am feeling like the tests are so hard to get thru just on skill and experience alone.

I know the game in the fire service and can do the job as well as anyone, can keep my mouth shut and adapt to any F.D.'s Program if just given the chance to prove myself!! I just wish they would do a straight aptitude test or something that was not so subjective as this written test obviously is !!

I answered the test questions as honstley as possible and think that this is the best I can do. If I knew the "loaded" response they were looking for I would be tempted to just put that in instead, to get the badge because it means so much to my family and I that we get back to Minnesota where we belong.

Forum Member

Default Written Test Psyc Questions

If you haven't already figured it out yet, there are psych questions being placed in the entry level written test to eliminate candidates early in the process. It's really frustrating especially if you are aleady firefigter taking an entry level test.

Are you prepared? Most aren't. We've had several calls from candidates looking for a way to get over this hurdle.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you."

Since we're a resource, we've only found one company that is at the cutting edge of providing candidates with study information to get over this hurdle.

One of our candidates said if he had answered the psyc questions on the a recent test like he normally would, he would have failed. He passed. His buddies didn't.

The top program in getting ready for the written test is the Encyclopedia of Firefighter Examinations from The Don McNea Fire School www.fireprep.com Phone: 800-989-3473

Here's a a candidate who benefited from the Don McNea Fire School:

I am sending this e-mail to say Thank You for helping me with the psych portion of the written exam. I took a test a year ago without knowing your info. and scored in the low 70's. About 3 weeks ago I took that same test and scored a 94% and will be continuing in the process. That following week I took the same exam at my home department and though I do not know my score i have been invited to continue in their process as well.

I honestly believe that without knowing the information that you
    gave me and talking to you on the phone I would not be continuing in the process anywhere. I believe in what you have done for me and therefore I have recommended your material and website to many of the candidates that I have talked to in the past few weeks. I cannot say it enough but THANK
    YOU!THANK YOU!!!Larry

You can find out more inside secrets about the written test from Asst. Chief Brent Collins in the Carrer Article Section under the Job tool bar just about this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter
    http://eatstress.com/firefighterbook.htm

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 10-01-2004 at 05:14 PM.

i took the cwh test three times!! first i answered truthfully, got a 74. then somebody told me when it comes to the pictures to just give the most optomistic answere. For example the janitor likes his job and does the best he can ect. the second time it took it i got an 82. the third time i decided to tell them what i believe they wanted to hear and got a 90!! within one month i've gotten 8 letters from departments wanting me to test.

Tell them what they wanted to hear? Explain that. I remember the pictures: give them what? Anything to help me improve this score better. I can't figure it out. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Dave1090,
    Received my Montgomery MD test packet yesterday. Guess who the test is through this year?
    You guessed it--CWH Management soulutions company. One plus is I get to take Mont. Co test on the 17th of Oct and the following Saturday I get to take Arlington VA test through the same company. Least I have some sort of idea what to study for for Arlington's test.
    Get your packet yet?

Unhappy

Largerboy,

Figures on Montgomery going with a test like that. I was told by my friend it might be that test. I'm getting good at taking this test, its more like a process of elimination with this test anymore. LOL. Did not get Montgomery info yet but i'm sure I will get something in the mail this week. Also Arlington i'm signed up for on the 23rd. When they ask about the janitor again in the picture part of the test, im going to say he looks ****ed and might go postal on the office staff, wonder if that is what their looking for. LOL. Also was told Montgomery has a cut off of 72 for the CWH test. Did you take this test before? Dont know how many versions are going around with this test. Did you take Fairfax county or any other tests in thagt area?

MembersZone Subscriber

Dave1090,
    I have never taken a test by CWH Management soulutions company. (that I remember).Is there anything in particular I should study or know? I was told by HR that the cut off was 72 also. I took the test at Mont.Co last year and I am still praying for the December class as I still in the running for the class.
    I took Fairfax about 2 years ago, passed everything and never heard anything and no one knows anything when you call. I recently took Howard co. Md and received a letter telling me I am now on the list and I will be contacted with futher instructions when they become available. I am in the mid 500's or low 600's (can't remember) for DCFD which I took about a year ago or so. Took Harrisburg PA's test and scored in the low 90's but I am not a vet and their bonus points killed me. I am on the list after most on the vets. Taking Mont. Co in 2 weeks and then Arlington VA. Annapolis MD is testing soon I heard. Missed Loundon VA test because of Harrisburg's test. Considering taking Norfolk VA test but that would require me to move there. I live in Central PA. Maybe we will run into each other at Arlington's test.

Thread Information