Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Lowering the American Flag

Did you know that the law requires the American flag be lowered in tribute on only a few days each year? Quite appropriately, one of these days is the observance of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service.
    On October 16, 2001, President George W. Bush approved legislation requiring the American flag to be lowered to half-staff on all Federal buildings to memorialize fallen firefighters. Public Law 107-51 requires this action occur annually in conjunction with observance of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service.
    Let your local media know that American flags across the country will be lowered on Sunday, October 3, 2004. This includes the U.S. Capitol and the White House, as well as buildings in your local community.
    Remember to lower the American flags at your home, fire department, and business. Encourage your local community to follow the Federal Government's example. When you lower your flag this year, you will recognize the brave men and women who died protecting their communities from natural and manmade emergencies and disasters and those who carry on the proud tradition.
    You may also want to ask your state and local officials to include lowering the flag in a proclamation recognizing the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Default How to Fold the Flag

Fold the flag in half width-wise twice. Fold up a triangle, starting at the striped end ... and repeat ... until only the end of the union is exposed. Then fold down the square into a triangle and tuck inside the folds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the American flag 13 times?

The 1st fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The 2nd fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing our ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

The 6th fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it is has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made the country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

The 11th fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies in their eyes the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represent an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

After the 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our nation’s motto, “In God We Trust.”
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

That's very interesting, I didn't know all that. Thanks for sharing, Ray.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the American flag 13 times?
    Don't mean to demean the sentiment, but...

http://www.snopes.com/military/flagfold.htm

Claim: An American flag is traditionally folded thirteen times because each of the folds has a special meaning.

Also, if anyone's interested, here's the actual text of Public Law 107-51.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Thanks Ray !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

After all those years of believing.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 10-03-2004 at 08:31 PM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hmm strange. I had never noticed the number of triangular folds before, and now of course will have to count them the next time I observe that. I wonder if it has more to do with using a "regulation" sized flag, and that being the number of times it "naturally" folds into a triangle. Another thought, just to 'uphold' the theory of there being a reason... could it be that there were originally 13 Colonies????? Just a thought.

It seems to me though that the folding lengthwise in 1/2 and then making triangular folds is a pretty standard method, as we do that North a' tha border too. HMC Ships' companies use that practice each evening at sunset prior to storing the flags for the night.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber bolivas203's Avatar

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35

After all those years of believing.
    That is quite all right there E40FDNYL35. Just because it isn't official, doesn't mean one can't observe that tradition as well.

"Un-official" Flag folding ceremony

I too have seen this observed and think it is a great tradition, even if it isn't what was originally planned. There are lots of traditions that have been adapted throughout the years.

"An even more elaborate flag folding ceremony has since been devised for special occasions such as Memorial Day and Veterans Day, one which incorporates the association of particular symbolic meanings with each fold of the flag. These associations are "real" in the sense that they mean something to the people who participate in the ceremony, but they are not the reason why a flag is folded in the traditional thirteen-step manner. " From snopes.com
    Stay alert and be safe.

E40FDNY,

Thanks for sharing the meaning of the Folding of the Flag, I was talking to one of our Chiefs just the other day about this, After a funeral we attended and I tried to find information on it because I found it interesting and low and behold I am reading these foruns and here it is strange how things work out. Thanks again

E40FDNYL35, I am in total agreement with you. I never known you to be wrong.

This is from the American Legion web page on The Flag, folding of the Flag.

Symbols for the folds of the Flag

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks and who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.

The fourth fold represents our weaker nature; for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance

The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong.”

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor our mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.

The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood, for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first born.

The eleventh fold, in the eyes of Hebrew citizens, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost.

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, “In God We Trust.”

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington and the sailors and marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.

Stay Safe Brother.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-06-2004 at 10:35 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

It sticks in my memory that a properly folded flag will only have 13 stars fully visible as well. Now I'm going to have to check.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

I think that if you fold the American Flag correctly, only 9 stars will be shown.

Go to http://www.legion.org and follow the links on the left reference the Flag.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

from CaptOld Timer: I think that if you fold the American Flag correctly, only 9 stars will be shown.
    If you're referencing the photo on the AL webpage, it shows that 13 would be visible on the folded flag. Five on the long folded edge, and four on the flat field on the front and another four on the back for a total of 13.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information