Thread: rescue struts

MembersZone Subscriber

Default rescue struts

what brands of rescue struts is everyone using?pros and cons with set up? i have used air shore ,rescue 42,holmatro and res-q-tek ,i found rescue 42's to be the fastest to set up what do you guys think,looking to purchase 5 0r 6 sets for are rescue trucks.

Forum Member

I think you are a very intelligent Firefighter!

Tim
    www.rescue42.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Struts

We purchased a couple of engine kits from R-42 and are pleased with them so far. I have used a couple of the others mentioned and I believe these fit the bill, they are really proud of them however $$. We have used them numerous times already and have had no problems. I am anxious to see how they will perform on ice thou, we have used them in the snow over the bank but not on a icy road situation yet, I forsee a few problems or safety hazards with that. The one problem im seeing is that alot of the guys are going straight to them when box cribbing could be utilized in a quicker fashion. So there new, they work good, and the guys want to use them so thats good, we just don't want to lose our focus about the basic's of cribbing, these cant be used to replace box cribbing. But can be utilized in many situations. We used them to shore up a floor where we had a body recovery from a fire, and they worked fine. We have already bent one of the pins and I didn't think that was possible with the relatively small weight we have been using them on. Hey Mr 42 guy send me a free pin, and shirt for my trouble would ya.
    Burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

Forum Member

Hey Burn,

I just got back from teaching extrication for three days in Sitka at the Alaska FF Conference - Wish you were there!

Our pins are Grade 8, so you must have really had a heavy load on the struts somehow. Let me know which pin (Tim@rescue42.com) and I'll send you another.

Don't forget that you can use pickets when on ice to really anchor the entire wreck.

Regards, Tim
    www.rescue42.com

Sorry there are no Rescue42 shirts...right Tim???

Sta22BeaverCoPA
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use Junk Yard Dogs. Found them easy to set up and quick into use on rollovers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default strut

Hey 42, I had to work that is why I wasn't there, I helped teach at last years extrication. I am the cordinator for this coming years in our town, I have a meeting with Troy this Friday and im sure your name will come up. It was the bottom pin, I will tell Troy Friday and im sure he will replace it, however a shirt is always welcomeThe picket, I don't think DOT would appreciate us pounding one in the highway, and if you didn't know it the ground freezes up here like concrete so in most situations like that it would not be applicable. Its also called a deadman, the setup of it, thats what we always called in logging anyway. How come you don't include the chains in your kits, is that so you can save money so you can buy firefighters shirtsDont feel bad I have been trying to get a hurst shirt for years off of the tight wad dealer mentioned above, but boy you could put him to shame right here.
    Later
    burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the ORIGIONAL rescue strut. Res-Q-Jack. We have used them for years and are attending a free training seminar at their factory this week!

If compartment space is an issue, they also offer a folding strut!!

Check out www.Res-Q-Jack.com

Good Luck, Be safe!

Forum Member

You might want to check for dated photos before you use the word "Orginal". That would be the one featured on my website at www.zmagrescue.com. Over eight years of extrication comps, training, classes and real live road use and still going strong. My opinion : If you are looking for telescoping metal struts you can not beat Rescue 42, if you are looking for the more affordable basic wood design then call me.
    Zmag

Forum Member

Or even better;have BOTH!Zmag,how's the progress coming on the folding wood?(G)All of these tools make your lives longer and better.And all mentioned have given us great product support,you can't go wrong using any of them.T.C.

Forum Member

Or, you can go old school and bring out the tried and true JIMMY JACKS. Too bad I can't find any.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

If you want quick, easy and affordable, go with the Zmags. For everyday use, they are worth their weight in gold. We have been using them for years.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just received a Res-Q-Jack kit yesterday.

I've worked for the Indiana DOT for 20+ years. Do what is necessary to make the extrication as easy and effective as possible. Road repair of a small hole or two is nothing.
    Last edited by AC1503; 10-22-2004 at 12:15 AM.

Forum Member

Whatever brand of strut you choose, make certain it is easily adjustable, sufficiently strong through engineering/testing, rugged, and will perform the tasks you need. Doubtless each agency should practice frequently with their tools.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Sta22BeaverCoPA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Whether you use Junkyard Dogs, Z-Mag, Rescue 42, etc. My question is "What is the liability on the departments that build their own similar to those mentioned above and others ?"

Forum Member

A lot, I'd imagine. Especially if they fail. We had this discussion when we were looking at buying two new sets of new junkyard dogs last month.

As with any volunteer department(and probably some paid, too) there was a, "I can make them myself." guy in the back. We decided that since the struts from a company come with warranties and gurantees and the like, it's better to avoid liability all together.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Thread Information