Question What is firefighting

I am a 17 year old Senior in high school and getting ready to attend College for Fire Science I would just like to know more about the job in General. thanx

Truckie

It's hot, dirty, dangerous, dark, smokey, working hours at all times; day, night, holidays, kid's birthdays, family time, you get spit on, bled on, hit, kicked, verbally abused, your gear is hot and heavy, and gets worse when it's wet, the calls come in all types of weather, water likes to freeze on your gear in the winter, and won't evaporate to save your life in the summer. Firefighters die going from home to the station, the station to the calls, at the call, returning home, at training, or after a long LOD illness. People don't call you when they did something smart, you respond to friends, neighbors, maybe even family at the worst times. You are there when families lose loved ones, when young lives are cut short, or after the worst of human behavior.
    But you are there, you have a purpose, you are trained, and you can help.

Did I mention it's the greatest job on the planet?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

go see ladder 49 and you will see the bond that we have for our fellow brothers and sisters. see how it effects the family, friends, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SPFDRum
    It's hot, dirty, dangerous, dark, smokey, working hours at all times; day, night, holidays, kid's birthdays, family time, you get spit on, bled on, hit, kicked, verbally abused, your gear is hot and heavy, and gets worse when it's wet, the calls come in all types of weather, water likes to freeze on your gear in the winter, and won't evaporate to save your life in the summer. Firefighters die going from home to the station, the station to the calls, at the call, returning home, at training, or after a long LOD illness. People don't call you when they did something smart, you respond to friends, neighbors, maybe even family at the worst times. You are there when families lose loved ones, when young lives are cut short, or after the worst of human behavior.
    But you are there, you have a purpose, you are trained, and you can help.

Did I mention it's the greatest job on the planet?

Yep. That pretty much sums it up. This job isn't for everyone, but for those of us who do the job, it is the best job ever!!!

PS. You also get over worked and under payed, but we don't do this job for the money. :O
    Stay alert and be safe.

What kind of Training goes along with Firefighteing and what kind of work out could i do to make me stronger to get in shape for the job?

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Basics, always the basics

Talk to the fire advisor about what type of training is offered at your college. Most schools will require you to have gone through a fire academy before allowing you into the other arts. If you want to really be a good firefighter. Learn the basics, eat the basics, sleep with them, and dream about them. If you build a solid foundation everything else will be fall into place. Crawl before trying to stand!

I'm not sure what your build is but if you look like a stick man. Eat some dang beans and steak. Hit the weights hard and look into some weight gainer at your local GNC. On the other hand if you're closer to the Michelin man. Put the Twinkie down and start walk every day till your feet hurt. Weight training is very important. Our gear is heavy and hot and humping a 2.5 hose is not for the weak of heart. But don't be like the jar heads that never work on their cardio. First it'll allow you to work long and second you'll use less air. Something that might save your life.

Work outs I recommend are squats, lunges, iso lats, bar bell bench press(flat/inverted/declined), butterfly, crunches, curls, stair stepper with weight, running, or a kick boxing class. Sign up for the CPAT class as soon as you can. This will highlight weak areas to work on.

FFLong
    Proud Volunteer Firefighter!

Forum Member

Here in my corner of the world, the county school system is starting a program where high school students will be given EMT and basic firefighting training. This way those who desire to become firefighters will have the basic knowlesge before they go throught all the hoops and hurdles.

Go by a fire station and ask one of the members to give you some insite on the job.

Good Luck.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Smile

I spent almost 20 years fighting fire and foolishly walked away from it all for reasons which I can honestly say was very "STUPID". Then, after several years, I was fortunate enough to be given the chance to return to the one place where there is real meaning and value in what you do.

If you're looking to make a lot of money and have a safe, comfortable life, you had better look somewhere else. But if you want real fulfillment in what you do then this is the best job in the world !
    -bob-

Thread Information