Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driving in turnout gear

I initailly posted this under the general fire board however here is the question. Can someone produce a "professional" fire service publication that "recommends" the use of bunker pants while driving apparatus??

No. Also try the search function.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber bolivas203's Avatar

Default NFPA 1002

I could not find anything on this subject in NFPA 1002.

NFPA 1002: Standard for Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Professional Qualifications.

Most of the DO's wear bunker pants and boots, but never do they wear the bunker coat while driving.
    Stay alert and be safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Driivng in turnout gear

As someone stated NFPA does not mention this. My personal expierance is that wearing the bunker pants while driving a pumper or tanker is not bad I prefer going without ecspecially with a standard transmission. When driving the mini-pumper I hate having the bunker pants on, it has a standard tranny. The volunteer department I am with requires drivers to wear at least the bunker pants so that they may be part of a RIT crew if needed or become involved in the operations if your on the second or thrid truck in. This is also due to the nature of dress many volunteers may show up in during the warm days like shorts and such. This way they have foot and leg protection when at an incident. The department I work with does not require the wearing of bunker pants while driving. I do wear them during the winter months due to the cold. The drivers must keep their gear close by and we keep a space in one of the compartments just for the drivers gear. If you have proper fitting gear it should not hinder you while driving though it could take some getting used to. So I doubt this helps if your trying to create a SOP it' just one view.

Forum Member

We have very short staff here so I drive fully bunkered quite often. Everything from the water tender (manual transmission) down to the Ford E-350 ambulance. I seem to have no problem driving though I do take a minute before moving to adjust the seat, seat belt and steering wheel due to the added bulk of the gear.

Birken

When assigned to drive the engine, I wear bunker pants and boots when responding to an emergency. We have a Sutphen ladder that just seems terribly tight in the cab and the accelerator and break pedals are too close together so when driving this particular rig, most guys wear duty pants and boots (but bunker up immediately upon arrival at the scene).
    I never wear my turnout coat while driving as with the decreased mobility and flashlight and gloves clipped on it I don't feel I would be able to properly and safely maneuver the rig.

When there is heavy snow or severe cold I wear bunkers even when on squad (ambulance) runs.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

I can't. I have not bothered to read these threads looking, but just about everything on this topic has been covered, perhaps you will find something useful:

Driving in turnout gear (your original thread started in October of 2004)
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=63232

Turnout Gear While Driving
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=44954

Bunker pants and driving
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=43705

Engineers driving while wearing bunkers?
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=30661
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

With our old tender, take your turnouts, wear what you want, bunker up on arrival. Manual tranny, pedals close together, seat cannot be moved any further back. It's a safety issue.
    With our newer trucks, it's drivers choice.

Our SOG is no PPE while driving.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

On a fire or MVA call, I'll drive with bunker pants and boots. EMS or some non-fire, non-hazzardous BS, the gear goes in the back in case we get another call while out. Any of our apparatus can be driven safely with or without bunker pants and boots.

Rarely ever do I put a bunker coat on while driving. It's very restrictive. Gloves, hood, and helmet are definately off unless the truck happens to be on fire while I'm driving....
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Lightbulb Driving with gear

I'm not a driver but my father is the Asst. Chief driver for our company. Our former capt. made this rule that drivers need to take their gear with them. For most the active guys we have Morning Pride gear with the mask pocket on the left leg of the bunkerpants. I was told numerous times by my father that its a PAIN in the ROYAL you know what to drive especially in our cab because its a MACK MR. Cab and its difficult to feel the pedals while wearing the huge RUBBER boots we are issued. So to me driving with turnouts on is kinda really bad idea because you need to be in control but also comfort is neccessary. So i think personally drivers should take their gear with them and throw it on @ the scene after the truck has started to be pumped

Forum Member

My engine's usual driver wears his bunker pants but leaves the coat and helmet in back.I've never been advised as to a requirement of wearing bunker pants while driving but he does so that's the advice I follow.
    The few times I have driven and had to wear bunkers,I was uncomfortable and felt like I didn't have the "feel"of the truck underneath me.

Forum Member

I was just thinking about this the other day. Was dispatched to a vehicle accident, we were to be about the 4th engine due, maybe 10-20 minutes into the incident by the time we got there, to help with a heavy extrication. I put on my pants and coat in the barn so as to be ready as soon as I got to scene. However I always leave my coat open this time of year becuase it is hot and no AC. Finish buttoning up when I get to scene. Probably a 10 minute drive time.

Birken

Forum Member

Personal preference..but if you have skis for feet liek I do, it can be hard depending on vehicle. When I drive, all of my gear goes in the nozzle/hose fitting compartment. . The pedal feel is a ton better, and for me it allows better control. Once on scene I change into all of my gear. Unless it's summer, then I only wear my coat.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

I understand completely, however, in summer if it is hot and I am in no danger I will wear the pants only and have the coat close by, that way I can be 100% suited up quickly if I need to be. You can keep yourself way cooler through the torso than the legs anyway. People look at me like I am crazy sometimes because I wear wool over cotton socks in summer too but the feet are not where the body gets rid of its heat anyway and I would rather avoid blisters and not have athelete's foot.

Birken

Forum Member

I wear my bunker pants while driving... Both Engines are automatic and I rarely drive the Rescue. Ha, I rarely drive the Engines anymore, always on the right side. I have Ranger Combat L.B. boots thats are a little more flexible than all rubber.

With or with our really doesnt make a difference to me.

We are currently re-writing our SOG's and there will be some though put into it and a decision made because everyone right now does it differently.
    Gabriel
    FF/EMT
    Nevada, Missouri
    1*

Forum Member

When you redo your SOG, keep in mind different people have different needs. We have a Lt. on our department who wears size 14 boots (he is 6'7"). He cannot drive our (manual tranny) tender with his turnout boots on. So, for him, the policy is throw your gear in the tender, dress on arrival. As long as the bunker gear and the engineer all arive at the same time, it makes little difference.

Our department's running rules are that DPOs have their gear available upon arrival but don't have to wear it while driving. The only exception is for our ambulance/medic drivers enroute to a MVA, at minimum bunker pants are to be on when you leave the bay.
    Lt. Tad Yergey
    Nokesville Volunteer Fire Department
    and Rescue Squad

Forum Member

Interesting, what is your standard for the medic who is going to tech the call on a MVA? Ours allows him to wear Nomex grass pants so that he is not encumbered by his bunkers all the way to the hospital.

Birken

Everyone wears bunkers pants/boots minimum. Our medics too. However we run with some career county medics and for the most part they don't put on their gear unless they have to get in the vehicle to start an IV during a long extraction.
    Lt. Tad Yergey
    Nokesville Volunteer Fire Department
    and Rescue Squad

Thread Information