Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718
    Forum Member

I'm thinking that if johnnyboy is really a paid guy, there is definitely a hole in the interview/background/hiring process in his town.

I think that discussion is in the firefighter/arsonist thread.

Forum Member

I have been reading the posts on here concerning this topic. Seems there are a lot of opinions on this subject and a lot with pretty good reasoning behind them. For some departments they make sense and some they dont. Our department allows them. I have them in my truck. Dont use them all the time but there are times they are needed. Just like anything they can be abused. There are people that have them and abuse them. They should be dealt with. Just as anyone that is driving one of the trucks would be dealt with. In the same token there are those that drive like mad men without lights and siren they also should be dealt with the same way. As I see it the lights and siren or the lack thereof are not the problem. Learning to respond resposively whether in pov or firetruck is. If you dont get there you cant help.

I mean a loaded weapon on the table is harmless until someone picks it up. In the right hands it is an asset. In the wrong hands an accident waiting to happen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07003
    My driving practices??? I don't use my lights illegally, where are you coming up with this. I don't race around my town with lights on, so im not sure why your saying i do. The few times I have responded from home I drove as carefull as if i was in an ambulance.

Do you jump into an ambulance and respond WITHOUT your lights/sirens on? No you don't, why not. Because you are RESPONDING to an EMERGENCY.

Those of you who say lights are bad and this and that, well WE ARE RESPONDING TO EMERGENCIES. Go argue about something else... but to sit here and accuse me of not being professional i don't stand for.

And i could care less if you call me a whacker. I like an EMT logo on my truck. I like a patch on my sleeve. im PROUD of what i do, sue me. Thats why i volunteer because i LIKE to help people. I don't sit at home and IGNORE pages and TURN OFF my pager.

I stopped going back and forth about whos right and wrong because its a never ending battle. Its a glass half full/half empty debate.

But when you start bashing me personally, thats where i draw the line and where i'll defend myself. You have no right to accuse me of driving eratically and this and that without any proof, which you have none, since i do not drive eratically if/when i have used my lights.

And BTW, where i volly, we are KNOWLEDGEABLE and PROFESSIONAL. The town I volly for is not some mickey mouse club like a lot of squads are. We don't hadn out permits. It takes about a year to become a full member even and you go through internal training as well as the EMT curriculum.

I know you are prolly saying what you are because of all the mickey mouse "whacker" squads where everybody races around and knows nothing. But the place i volunteer is not that way at all. Very Very Very professional, ask any neighboring town about us.
    Random thoughts:

1. I never said that your squad was not knowledgable and professional.
    2. YOU said that you were a whacker. Calling yourself a whacker and being proud because the class you are in looks at you and laughs AT you when they talk about lights is not an example of professional behavior.
    3. The lights that you describe having installed in your vehicle are illegal as the NJ DMV laws (I do not care if you agree witht he laws or not).
    4. I never said you went "racing around".
    5. The way you describe using your lights (using them to respond to incidents in other towns, using them in another state, etc.) are clearly not in compliance with the NJ DMV laws.
    6. "Prolly" is not a word.
    7. It is not "personal bashing" when your own worsd are used against you. The truth is an absolute defense.
    8. I would most likely quit while I was ahead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Guys like you don't get paid...
    They TAKE the public's money.
    You're glad; I'm not.
    CR

I get paid the public's money to provide professional fire service (no blue light slappers allowed) My friend!

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnboycan
    I get paid the public's money to provide professional fire service (no blue light slappers allowed) My friend!
    So I guess when you're on your own time and money, you can be unprofessional on a public discussion forum.
    And Slappy; I don't own a blue light.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

A yellow light maybe ?

Forum Member

I agree with you about the mini light bar. Most volunteers around here seem to have figured that out; however, some have not. In fact I have run accross several volunteers who's vehicles look more like rolling christmas trees. I kind of laugh it off considering the traffic around here is so bad that running lights & siren does not matter anymore. In fact, I have driven/riden on my local squad countless times to watch people cut us off as if they did not see a large vehicle with lights and lound noise approaching. Sometimes you have to wonder about people...

Forum Member

Thumbs down MY Assit Chief

I don't know if this is legal or not but my asst firechief was found going through my vehicle looking for a siren and any other iilegal lights, I caught him when we returned from a call. In NY Bluelighters can't have anything but a single bluelight. I'm thinking of bringing him up on charges. Some one told him they heard a siren coming from my vehicle but it was the one chief that was coming out of a side street.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godsmack
    I don't know if this is legal or not but my asst firechief was found going through my vehicle looking for a siren and any other iilegal lights, I caught him when we returned from a call. In NY Bluelighters can't have anything but a single bluelight. I'm thinking of bringing him up on charges. Some one told him they heard a siren coming from my vehicle but it was the one chief that was coming out of a side street.
    Maybe it was time to "WACK IT" and he used your car
    NATRGBH83

MembersZone Subscriber

IN CT firemen can have bluelights as "courtesy lights" only.NO sirens however they can have airhorns w. a 100 watt speaker, no siren.

This is my first post in this forum but have been reading now for a bit and have read nearly every post in this topic, and frankly its sorta sad to see fire fighters flaming one another on something like this, we are all professionals here and take great pride in what we do ( atleast i hope anyways) im going on 5 years now in an all volunteer fire department in north carolina. I can understand every fire department has its own way of doing some things cause they feel it best suits them and the community they serv. Now with that being said, Our department has a very simple but effective practice with the lights/siren in POV's first of all only the cheif and asst cheif can use a siren in there POV (even though they dont use them) wig-wags only cheif and asst. cheif can have those as well) . Now as for other members we are only allowed red/clear or red we can have them anywhere we wish as many as we want (withen reason ) As for responding with the lights on, every member who has the lights uses them ( as a curtosy light only ) for every alarm but we also practise the rutine that the first officer onscene will radio dispatch if its not a real emergency and get them to relay to "respond rutine traffic" (meaning you are asked to turn off lights and just get there when you do ( this means the pumpers tankers and equipment truck aswell ) we still have to obey all posted speed limits and stop signals and signs rather or not the lights are going or not. Our department gets a great deal of respect from the community and hardly ever get complaints for citizians or law enforcement. Also i forgot to mention if we are using lights we are asked to display a department liceness plate on the front of the POV. As for responding to the station or to the scene we will respond to the scene and a quilified person passing the station sees no one has grabbed a truck yet then they will stop at the station and continue responding to the scene with the truck (that being pumper first then equipment truck ) this works extremly well and have never ran into problems the 35 years our department has been established. We have 4 stations in our district each housing 1 pumper and tanker/ or brush truck in place of the tanker. Again i point out this is what works best for us.

Thread Information