Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

I like to wear a helmet with a revolving blue light. That way I can attract all the KMART women

Originally posted by pfd3501
    I like to wear a helmet with a revolving blue light. That way I can attract all the KMART women

...Now Thats Funny
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

We've done much of this before. Still, if you are permitted to run lights and sirens on your POV at least have the decency to get something modern. This week one of our new members installed a siren in his POV he got from one of our oldest members. The siren is one of those big silver jobs which had been mounted between 2 huge bubblegum machine style raotating lights on a bar. It was all mounted to a pickup truck which hasn't moved in years. The new owner turned it on the other night while at the station and I swore it sounded like something like Barney Fife would have used on his Mayberry PD car. I'm not sure how many amps the thing draws but for the size, weight and age I think I would have just saved up for something built in the last 2 decades.

Forum Member

To me it will be a wonderful day when every state in our nation comes to thier senses and realizes that volunteer firefighers having any sort of emergency light or siren on, in, around or in close proximity to thier vehicles in inherantly dangerous to both them and the general public. There is no need and never will be a need for volunteer personnel to go screaming to thier stations with disco lights rotating from thier vehicles to save that precious 30 seconds of time. This comes from a man with 25 years of VOLUNTEER firefighting experience that wants to see the culture of firefighting changed ... and this, my friends is easily the MOST danagerous part of the volunteer culture, especailly given the youth of our membership and the irresponsibility that comes as part of that youth. Please stop the madness ... burn, smash and pulverize all the lights.

Just my thoughts.

LaFireEducator, open your eyes. having people responding in their POVs with lights and sirens is no more dangers than those same people getting in the drivers seat of an emergency vehcile with lights and sirens. remember, a POV usually handles better than an emergency vehicle.

you say their isn't a need. i disagree. we say seconds count in emergency services. so the faster I get to the station (or the scene), the fast the rig rolls, the faster the patient recieves care or the emergency is handled. think of a full arrest. do those 30 second count? what about a working fire? how much does a fire grow in 30 second? in a minute?

and what about if you are an EMT, and you render aid at a motor vehicle accident? wouldn't you want some way to either control traffic or identify yourself as an emergency provider?

that all being said, I don't condone driving erraticly. If the call volume warrants it, shifts should be done in the station. if you see a problem with someone's driving, report them to their supervisor. your stereotyping 90% of the population by what maybe 10% do. not everyone drives erradictly, and for those that do, taking away their lights aren't going to make them a safer driver. and no, lights aren't the most dangerous part of volunteer culture. lack of training, lack of manpower, lack of qualified leadership, lack of unity by all firefighters (paid and vol), and a lack of adherence to the set standards are the most dangerous parts of volunteer culture.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber RescueMe7's Avatar

What about fire police? I would say they definately need lights to warn oncoming traffic that something is going on. You want them to stand on the road in the dark re-directing traffic and only have their vehicle blocking a road with it's four-way flashers on?

Most people don't disobey the laws when they know they are just running a "courtesy light." There _are_ idiot kids who don't know the laws and think a courtesy light gives them the magical power to drive 100+MPH to a scene of an unconfirmed automatic alarm or smoke investigation. Instead of trying to get everyone to disallow lights on POV's, spend that energy educating people of what they are allowed to do with them.

Forum Member

Dr. Parasite I respect your opinion but once again I state that responding with red lights and or sirens are the most dangerous part of the culture . Just look at the numbers .. the number of accidents and deaths resulting from POV accidents back this up. As far as fire police, lights should be available for those doing traffic control, but should not be used for response. This belief is rooted in the what I feel is a need to protect a majority of firefighters from themselves - if you look at line of death reports you will find that we tend to be our own worst enemy. Not only have a seen rookies drive without due regard for thier own safety as well as the publics in my 25 years, but I have also seen a fair share of "seasoned veterens" take unnecessary and foolish chance once the lights start flashing.
    And the worst thjimng is that the majority of the time these risks are truly unessecary as the call turns out to be false or minor in nature.

Just so that you know, my feeling is that most apparatus responses should be made cold as well, primarily for the same reasons mentioned above. Incidents such as non-life threatening EMS calls, motor vehicle fires, brush fires, structural fire alarms, structural smoke investigations, MVAs dispatched as unknown or minor injuries and gas smells (most of which turn out to be of a minor nature or false) do not require a rapid and dangerous hot (code 3) response. I feel that the time has come that we truly need to start thinking of ourselves much more than we have in the past, and if that means a slightly delayed response for both non-critical and critical calls, I feel that that small price the public will pay is well worth the increased level of safety for US. Everyone talks about changing the culture .. well I feel the first change has to be truly putting the lives of firefighters FIRST ... and looking at the number of POV and apparatus accidents and the resulting fatalities .... thats the area we should start.I have felt this way for the past 15 years and will continue to feel this way until I retire.

LaFireEducator, as a FF and an EMT, I agree with you 100% on everything you just said in your last post.

but I also know that citizens want a fast response. they call 911, they want the trucks on scene by the time they hang up the phone. look at FDNY. their response times increased by under 30 seconds, and there was this massive uproar.

many people (rookies and veterans) do justify driving erradicly by saying "we are going on an emergency call, we need to get there quickly." in fact, I almost got into an arguement when i told a junior partner that he needs to stop for a school bus with his lights on. his response was "are you nuts? we are an ambulance, going to an emergency. you think I'm going to stop for a school bus?" I tried to convince him otherwise, but it fell on deaf ears.

staffing stations is good, as are more cold responses to non-life threatening calls. but the public wants us there yesterday. that and the whole "it's an emergency, must go 80mph" are a recipe for disaster.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Default lights & sirens

In PA. All line officers can use red light. All others use blue.
    Thats the same for the Fire Police.
    Any POV's with red lights MUST have siren and used when red lighs are utilized. And as previously stated, there are rules & regulations governing the use of lights and sirens, and with risks in you loosing such priveledge, they must be adhered too.

Forum Member

Cant anybody read!!! how many threads do we need about whacker lights. Maybe if people worried less about their lights and more on training there would be less deaths and injuries in the volunteer service
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    We don't have a department policy on lights/sirens in POV's because it's not only against the law, it's a danger to other motorists. Not only do you have Fire/EMS units responding to an incident, you have 10 Whackers with 48" lightbars on their Pinto's running around like maniacs too.

Do a search on the forums dude, this is probably the 1000th thread on this subject.

Staff your firehouses, then you won't have to entertain this dangerous and un-regulated practice. If you took all the $$$ people spent on Whacker lights, you could build a bunkroom in every Volunteer Fire House in America.
    This has to be the most ridiculous and idiotic post I've seen here up to now. How are you going to expect a volunteer department to man their firhouses 24/7?? There IS a reason why they are volunteer, because most municipalities dont have the money nor the need for a paid or partially paid department.

And in regards to having volunteers man the firehouse.......I'm sorry, but like 95% of volunteers, we have school/work/lives to contend with while trying to make as many runs as we can. How can you sit there and say that it should be mandatory for volunteers to man the station, its laughable. Most of those "whackers" with 48" lightbars have enough of a life not to be at the house 18 out of 24 hours a day. "Courtesy lights" when used correctly and safely pose very little harm to the public, even though I am a very big believer that blue lights dont get you to the house any faster.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me just start off by stating that our state allows for blue lights and that I have them in my truck. It does not give me the right to speed through town and drive like an idiot, go through stop signs and stop lights. We are still required to follow traffic safety laws. The light is called a courtesy light for a reason. If you see the light behind you, please be courteous and allow the vehicle to pass. because it may be your home or loved one that needs that firefighter/emt.
    the one thing that the volley fire service needs to do is to teach and train their members that speding to the station gets you there not that much faster. I live a mile outside of our towm and I have proven that it saves me only a few seconds if I drive 80 that if I drive 65. What it does help accomplish though is getting other people the heads up that you dont need them pulling out in front of you. Most people around here respect that. But if they don't I will not and do not run up on their tail and or pass them unless the driving laws would allow me to.
    If you really want to save time getting to the scene be ready to go. Have your clothes and keys and shoes ready at all times. Then you wont have to drive like an idiot to try to make the truck. I have found that I will regularly be the 2nd or third person to the station during a call because I am prepared. I am there before people who only live a block or two from the house.
    Be ready, be prepared, do not make one more victim.

MembersZone Subscriber Trafficjockey93's Avatar

AMEN to that chrnea. If all the people who use lights on their POV's thought like that there wouldn't be so much hostility towards the subject.

That was one of the few posts on this subject that was actually worth reading.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Originally posted by chrnea
    If you really want to save time getting to the scene be ready to go.
    Bingo. I have a guy on my dept convinced I am a speeder and continually tries to crucify my character because I get to the station before him regularly, even though I am a mile farther away and max speed is 30 MPH. The difference is that my car is backed into the garage (what self-respecting firefighter pulls his POV in forwards? ), the key is in the ignition, I can activate the garage door from inside the house before I go out, at night my clothes are laid out in a pattern so I can dress in the dark, and I have slip-on boots. I don't have to run or rush, I can glance over the map before I start the car, and I still am usually somewhere between 2nd/4th guy to the hall though I live farther out than most. There is a reason we firefighters emphasize preplanning and readiness, why should this be any different? FWIW we do not allow lights/sirens on POVs.

Funny sidebar.... on one recent call the guy comes out of his street as I pass by. He tails me to "pace" me for a few blocks (sure enough I'm only going 30, fella) before peeling off to head for the hall (I was going direct because I knew one of our guys was almost there). He takes the long way past the hall but has to come back to my road again. He caught up with me and tailgated me for a couple of miles until we arrived, though he had set himself back about a mile with the "long cut". Who's speeding? And if you claim *I* was going 45 and you "know" because you paced me, how in the world did you get close enough to identify me?

There are NO benefits from speeding. NONE.
    Last edited by RLFD14; 11-26-2004 at 04:10 PM.

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Wow, someone acts sensible about this subject (thanks RLFD14 and chrena! ) Like you guys, I have lights on my truck and get the reaction that hey, you must be flying to the station just because I show up in turnout gear ready to go. You just have to keep your equipment ready to go. I've never posted on this subject because of all the hard feelings everyone shows towards everyone else that doesn't think the way that they do. Good luck to all and be safe!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Originally posted by RLFD14

Bingo. I have a guy on my dept convinced I am a speeder and continually tries to crucify my character because I get to the station before him regularly, even though I am a mile farther away and max speed is 30 MPH.
    I had a couple people think that I was speeding. Since I video tape all my POV responses I pop the tape in and review the run and when they see that I am responding at a normal speed in a safe manner then the complaints stop. They can bitch all they want but the tape tells the real story. The fact is that I don't have to fly down the road like a maniac to get to a call. Neither does anyone else.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I have lights and sirens on my POV, but I hardly use them. I turn them on once I'm on scene to mark the address. But I hardly respond POV straight to the scene unless I have to pass the address on the way to the station. My next vehicle will not have lights or siren.

I would love to staff our station 24/7. Granted if we had sleeping quarters at the station then we have a few people that would love to stay up there. I would whenever my wife would let me.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Originally posted by cellblock

Since I video tape all my POV responses I pop the tape in . . .
    Actually I have considered this for exactly your purpose, but wasn't sure it was worth the expense to prove my point... then what do I do with the stuff afterwards? How did you set it up and what did it cost? Does it work to just jam a handycam on the dash?

RLFD14,
    Feel free to contact me off list at cellblock776@yahoo.com .
    Steve

Originally posted by cellblock
    We've done much of this before. Still, if you are permitted to run lights and sirens on your POV at least have the decency to get something modern. This week one of our new members installed a siren in his POV he got from one of our oldest members. The siren is one of those big silver jobs which had been mounted between 2 huge bubblegum machine style raotating lights on a bar. It was all mounted to a pickup truck which hasn't moved in years. The new owner turned it on the other night while at the station and I swore it sounded like something like Barney Fife would have used on his Mayberry PD car. I'm not sure how many amps the thing draws but for the size, weight and age I think I would have just saved up for something built in the last 2 decades.
    HAHAHA I can't knock that my first big bar was one of those, Federal Signal Twin Sonic. It dose look like Barney Fife too. He's going to end up having to buy a new battery and alternator if he keeps messing around with that thing.

Thread Information