Default Lights and Sirens in Personal Veichles

What is your departments policy? Mine is no they are not allowed only in chief's trucks

Forum Member

Default Re: Lights and Sirens in Personal Veichles

Originally posted by WisconsinFire
    Mine is no they are not allowed only in chief's trucks

Same Here...Chiefs And Deputys Can Have Lights And Sirens In POV
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

FH Mag/.com Contributor

In Texas, any member can have red lights and sirens on their POV, which is then considered an emergency vehicle like any other on the road, by law people have to get out of the way. I've heard some other states where that's not the case, so there's no penalty/ticket for not moving. For POVs, ambulances, fire trucks, or cops.

I always ask the people that say they won't move: Since you're in front of me, how do you know I'm not trying to get to your house?

Forum Member

The Chief has a Tahoe that is all decked out, it's a dept. vehicle with lights and sirens. Honestly I don't know if I have ever seen his POV. As for all other members, blue lights only.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have a department policy on lights/sirens in POV's because it's not only against the law, it's a danger to other motorists. Not only do you have Fire/EMS units responding to an incident, you have 10 Whackers with 48" lightbars on their Pinto's running around like maniacs too.

Do a search on the forums dude, this is probably the 1000th thread on this subject.

Staff your firehouses, then you won't have to entertain this dangerous and un-regulated practice. If you took all the $$$ people spent on Whacker lights, you could build a bunkroom in every Volunteer Fire House in America.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

MembersZone Subscriber

A VOLY can have a red light in Fl, the light is considered a "courtesy light" some drivers show us "courtsey" but don't count on it
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    Staff your firehouses, then you won't have to entertain this dangerous and un-regulated practice.
    Tiller, I don't know where your are from (I'm guessing in the maryland/virginia area), but for a department that gets less than 1000 calls a year, convincing a person who isn't being paid to stay at the firehouse on the off chance that they might get 3 calls in a 24 hour period just isn't going to happen. and if you think that is bad, try doing it for a department that gets less than 300 calls.

my department allows blue lights, but tbe reality is, most people DON'T use them for minor calls. maybe for working fires or a life threatening emergency, but not for an AFA or a BS call.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Department policy does not allow blue lights on POV's. Chiefs are allowed red lights. No one has sirens.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Not allowed in California.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber

we allow blue lights in our town but not to many have them only the guys that live a little farther away from the firehouses...and out of our 5 firehouse and 180 members only 3 or 4 have light bars....2 of those are our OEM coordinators. We respond to about 250-300 calls a year. you say to staff the firehouse 24/7 sometimes we dont see an alarm for a week at a time..I like hanging out at the firehouse but for that many alarms i dont think so...I'll stick to responding from home using my "WACKER LIGHT"
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

In West Virginia, if your Chief allows his firemen to have them, you must send your vehicle info to the State Fire Marshal's office and receive a permit sticker. If you have a light, you must have a siren and it must be turned on when your light is. And of course, the light has to be RED. The color it should be. I don't understand why some depts in other states have blue lights. It is so simple:

Fire dept. - Red
    Law enforcement - Blue
    Utility/Street maintenance - Amber

Personally, I think other states should be more concerned with some wacko pervert using his blue light to force a young lady (or anybody) to pull off the road.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Fire2123
    Personally, I think other states should be more concerned with some wacko pervert using his blue light to force a young lady (or anybody) to pull off the road.
    as has been discussed previously, different states have different colors for different departments. some states use RED for police, and blue for volunteer fire. so if you pulled up behind me with your light and siren on (me being from NJ, where red means police), I'd think you were a cop, and you could force me off the road. most volunteers that use blue lights don't permit their members to usea siren in their POV.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

What a refreshing new topic.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    What a refreshing new topic.......
    I understand your frustration at multiple threads about the same topic.

On the other hand....
    I am a hunter and shooter. If you read hunting and shooting magazines, every 2 years like clockwork you will see the same story retreaded. The magazine editors do this and get away with this is because of the continual number of new subscribers.

I think this forum board is like that. A person new to this board, and one who learns its features as he/she goes along (like your favorite feature - SEARCH, may not be aware that the topic about lightbars on POVs has been done to death.

The same goes for How good are HMEs, How good are KMEs, Pierce vs E1, and on and on.

And the people who have been on the board for a while just say "here we go again"

I think the multiple threads about one topic will go on forever, unless WT prepares a basic education for Firehouse forum users (slim/none)

Or it could be an anti MINI-ME person posting this under multiple ids, just to get your goat...........

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Don't you mean Mini-Goat?

Forum Member

Everybody loves Mini-Me......... even Bou..... He missed him while he was on vacation....... He damn near BEGGED me to bring him back.......

MembersZone Subscriber

As I've said before on similar posts,our state let's vol. have L&S on our pov's. But it is up to the dept.whether they want you to use them or not.Ours doesn't and I don't miss them, besides I get to play with all the L&S I want on the trucks which is enough for me.

Forum Member

Originally posted by pfd3501
    [B]

I understand your frustration at multiple threads about the same topic.

On the other hand....
    I am a hunter and shooter. If you read hunting and shooting magazines, every 2 years like clockwork you will see the same story retreaded. The magazine editors do this and get away with this is because of the continual number of new subscribers.

I think this forum board is like that. A person new to this board, and one who learns its features as he/she goes along (like your favorite feature - SEARCH, may not be aware that the topic about lightbars on POVs has been done to death.
    Yea, I wish there could be a forum code that would automaticly lock a topic with this content as soon as it is created and automaticly re-direct the poster to the search feature. These topics never have anything useful come out of them.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I sorry, but if you don't like the thread.....don't read it. The old threads may not contain information from some of the new readers. So I see nothing wrong with re-posting old threads. MHO

Forum Member

Originally posted by THEFIRENUT
    I sorry, but if you don't like the thread.....don't read it. The old threads may not contain information from some of the new readers. So I see nothing wrong with re-posting old threads. MHO

Great First Post Chief... ....But With The Number Of Threads On This Topic...If You Can't Find The Info Your Asking About,Theres Something Wrong
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

I like to wear a helmet with a revolving blue light. That way I can attract all the KMART women

Forum Member

Originally posted by pfd3501
    I like to wear a helmet with a revolving blue light. That way I can attract all the KMART women

...Now Thats Funny

Ryan

Forum Member

We've done much of this before. Still, if you are permitted to run lights and sirens on your POV at least have the decency to get something modern. This week one of our new members installed a siren in his POV he got from one of our oldest members. The siren is one of those big silver jobs which had been mounted between 2 huge bubblegum machine style raotating lights on a bar. It was all mounted to a pickup truck which hasn't moved in years. The new owner turned it on the other night while at the station and I swore it sounded like something like Barney Fife would have used on his Mayberry PD car. I'm not sure how many amps the thing draws but for the size, weight and age I think I would have just saved up for something built in the last 2 decades.

Forum Member

To me it will be a wonderful day when every state in our nation comes to thier senses and realizes that volunteer firefighers having any sort of emergency light or siren on, in, around or in close proximity to thier vehicles in inherantly dangerous to both them and the general public. There is no need and never will be a need for volunteer personnel to go screaming to thier stations with disco lights rotating from thier vehicles to save that precious 30 seconds of time. This comes from a man with 25 years of VOLUNTEER firefighting experience that wants to see the culture of firefighting changed ... and this, my friends is easily the MOST danagerous part of the volunteer culture, especailly given the youth of our membership and the irresponsibility that comes as part of that youth. Please stop the madness ... burn, smash and pulverize all the lights.

Just my thoughts.

Forum Member

LaFireEducator, open your eyes. having people responding in their POVs with lights and sirens is no more dangers than those same people getting in the drivers seat of an emergency vehcile with lights and sirens. remember, a POV usually handles better than an emergency vehicle.

you say their isn't a need. i disagree. we say seconds count in emergency services. so the faster I get to the station (or the scene), the fast the rig rolls, the faster the patient recieves care or the emergency is handled. think of a full arrest. do those 30 second count? what about a working fire? how much does a fire grow in 30 second? in a minute?

and what about if you are an EMT, and you render aid at a motor vehicle accident? wouldn't you want some way to either control traffic or identify yourself as an emergency provider?

that all being said, I don't condone driving erraticly. If the call volume warrants it, shifts should be done in the station. if you see a problem with someone's driving, report them to their supervisor. your stereotyping 90% of the population by what maybe 10% do. not everyone drives erradictly, and for those that do, taking away their lights aren't going to make them a safer driver. and no, lights aren't the most dangerous part of volunteer culture. lack of training, lack of manpower, lack of qualified leadership, lack of unity by all firefighters (paid and vol), and a lack of adherence to the set standards are the most dangerous parts of volunteer culture.

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information