Forum Member

Question Anyone have one of these?

We are looking at one of these units to replace our present brush rig. http://www.firematic.com/brat.htm This is new to our area. I know they are popular in Long Island, NY and in some areas of Jersey. Just looking for something other than the manufacturers pitch. Any ideas on what to look for when designing the rig, good or bad, will be helpful. We are looking at it to also supplement our first due rig in some areas of our district with limited access.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Don't have one but saw one

I saw one at the Firehouse Expo a couple years ago and was impressed by the design and craftsmanship. I would contact Firematic and see if they can bring a demo out to your committee.

Forum Member

They did, and we were impressed with it's abilities as well. As you know, though, the salesman is trying to make a sale . Just looking for actual user feedback. We are still looking at other apparatus, but in my area, this is the first one of this type.

I guess it depends on what your needs are. I've seen some brush rigs in my area that are simple and complex. On my depratment we have an older pick up with a skid mount 250 gal tank and a Honda pump that works great. In an adjacent town they have a comercial 'brush truck' similar to what you are loking at and it's so overweight that meny members won't drive it. So, I guess it really depends on what you are looking to accomplish. If it's urban interface then I'd look at International Truck or one of the bugger manifacturers.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of our neighboring departments have one. I saw it in action once, the only feedback I can offer is that the turn raduis isn't that good. The brat had a real tough time turning around in a spot that wasn't cleared. It was following a trail made by a stump jumper. For whatever reason it needed to turn around. Think it made a 15 point turn!

Don't expect the brat to push over trees that have a diameter over 4" either.

That's pretty much all I can comment on. As stated before, it all depends what your looking for.

Not to sure about thier popularity either, I've only seen one here on LI.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

Default Brat/Brush

I have to sau that Firematic always delivers a quality product and are fairly easy to work with, we don't have one but have considered getting one however it's not on the top of our priority list.

Here is a another option from another high quality truck builder in the North East.

http://www.gowansknight.com/Brush_trucks.htm

Thread Information