Thread: Refurb

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Refurb

My dept. has a 1987 Pierce 55' Tele-Squirt. We are trying to get info on refurbishing it. Does anyone know, or have one that has been done. We would like to go to a 75' and stay on single axle. I know we have to go to a closed cab, not a problem. Just trying to get a price. Or at least a ball park price. If anyone could help, Thanks
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

Default T-Squrt Refurb Contacts

First, let me clarify that I work with a manufacturer, but do know that two particular people that may be able to help you, that have done more of these than anybody in the business. The contact info I know of is:

Mr. Thomas Shand
    America LaFrance/RD Murray Division
    716-648-1907

Tom also writes for Firehouse and also FAJ on refurbs. So he has a ton of experieince of who does these around the country on refurbs. Even if ALF or RD Murray are not interested, he can give you some pointers on who might.

Mr. Kevin Kirvida
    Rosenbauer/General Safety Division
    651-462-1000

Kevins company (General Safety in Minnesota) has been a significant supplier for T-Squrts for many years and they have built a fair share of these, including some rehabs that I have seen. Give him a call and if they cannot do it, I am sure he can point you in the right direction.

Although I have an affiliation with several manufacturer/suppliers, I have nothing to gain from your purchase. Just offering some contacts that might hopefully assist you.

Slow down and take the time to be safe. One minute may be the rest of your life.

FTGuy

Below is a before and after picture of one that E-One completed earlier this year.

Before

Going to try this again
    Attached Images Attached Images  

After
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Looking at the two pictures it doesn't even look like they re-used anything. Body is different, aerial, chassis. The 1st pic is a Pierce Arrow chassis BTW.

Call your Pierce rep, give them the Pierce inventory number, and they'll pass it on to the engineers in Appleton. Within a week or two they'll have pulled the original drawings on the truck, and they'll be able to tell you what can be done and how much it will cost. I asked ours about refurbs before, turning an aerial into a quint, and that was what our rep said as far as getting a price goes from them.

There was an article in FireRescue a few months back about Bowie MD taking some old FDNY Mack Aerialscopes and having two refurbed. One went to the local Mack dealer in MD, and the other to Pierce since the chassis on that one needed replacing. I emailed their Chief about pricing and he said that the Mack cost about $250K. The one that went to Pierce got new everything except for aerial and outriggers, and ran around $455K. He said they were satisfied with both trucks, especially considering a new 95' midmount would have run over $1mil, so they got 2 for about $700K. Obviously if you keep your chassis and just enclose it, it will probably be a lot less expensive.

For the number of viable used trucks out there, refurb is definitely a cost-effective means of acquiring a truck, or in this case, changing it's functionality. Good luck.

- Brian

Thread Information