Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral Issues

Default Moral Issues

Hi all

I am looking for some input, we have has some problems with members missing practise and calls and such, everytime you ask why all you hear was I was working or busy, the department does not feel like a family or anything, we have tried numerous things to get more involvement but nothing has worked. I know you will get conflicts once on a while but it seems to be getting worse with no sign of any change. We have about 35 members in 4 halls and its all volunteer. We have tried everything to rewarding people to having night's out with the members but we still don't have to many people joining in, it always seems to be the same half a dozen doing more then anyone else. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions on what to try thanks for taking the time to read this.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

This is NOT a moral issue. This is a leadership issue.

My sugfgestion is to get some leadership in there instead of trying to beg and bribe people to come and do things.

Every volunteer or social organiztion is like that. It holds a higher presidence in the lives of some members then it does in others. It is natural and human. If you find it is important to makes sure that those that are not showing up do, look at what other things they have going on and adjust to that, if they don't come back on board with that, then drop them from the rolls.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    This is NOT a moral issue. This is a leadership issue.

My sugfgestion is to get some leadership in there instead of trying to beg and bribe people to come and do things.
    Sorry I should have given some examples, we have some members that will refuse to work with other members because they do not get along outside of the department.

We are short on members if the the chief starts throwing them out we will be in more trouble then before. We try and line things up but no one shows half the time, I was just looking for some suggestions. As far as I am concerned I want to throw out half the department but thats just me

Originally posted by Bosco26

Sorry I should have given some examples, we have some members that will refuse to work with other members because they do not get along outside of the department.

We are short on members if the the chief starts throwing them out we will be in more trouble then before. We try and line things up but no one shows half the time, I was just looking for some suggestions. As far as I am concerned I want to throw out half the department but thats just me
    Since it is a volunteer orginization that folks can quit unlike the military, you have to make adjustments to them. Is everyone assigened ot a specific hall? Have the chief assigne folks by personality, very grade schoolish, but you do what you got to do.

Ya we have four different halls and you are posted to the one that you live by, some of the other halls are like a 20 - 30min drive away of course then I am sure members would quit having to use that much gas. I told the chief that the members are acting like a bunch of kindergarden kids, I just wanted to vent and hope someone would have some ideas or they have gone through this as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting people from different backgrounds to work and play together in the sandbox is also not a moral issue. Do the great organizations you know of have people from the same backgrounds who like each other? Of course not.

A leader, not a supervisor, but a leader, has to transcend all the interpersonal crap that goes on in any organization. The leader will have to cultivate a new corporate culture within the FD. That will not happen overnight. He will have to get the members to buy into the new culture.

I also didn't say anything about throwing people out.

I think he means it's a morale issue, not a moral issue.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Ya thats what I ment sorry bad spelling

I know that most of it comes from leadership but this has been going on for over 2 years you would think people would grow up sooner or later, not to mention we have lost a few members because of all of this. I tell ya some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed in the morning lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya thats what I ment sorry bad spelling

I know that most of it comes from leadership but this has been going on for over 2 years you would think people would grow up sooner or later, not to mention we have lost a few members because of all of this. I tell ya some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed in the morning lol
    Morale is different. But the answer is still kind of the same.

It sounds, from a morale standpoint, that there are people who are undermining the leadership. That cannot be permitted. It will eventually drive the good people out.

Ya I totally agree someone needs to take a stand.

MembersZone Subscriber BurnCMSFD's Avatar

Default Issues

Bosco,hows about doing a little eval from the department folks and try to do in a non identifying way, like computer based. Ask them different questions, about leadership, about training, about benifits that are offered or not, about the equipment, about how they think they could fix these problems. Or what they would like to see to motivate them to come to training.
    Then compile these and see if you can find the root of the problems, if there personal, administrative, operational.
    Some of the answers you may not like, cause the may say that you or others are the root of the problem. Be prepared.
    It definately sounds like a leadership problem, not knowing your status or if you have a dinosaur chief, or a training officer that isn't innovative, for us to offer suggestions to you is tough.
    Everyone has different desires and needs,(Maslow) and come from different cultures to bring all together for the purpose of reaching a common goal takes a good leader.
    Dont get to emotional about ( I want to throw half of them out) this is not going to get you anywhere.
    Just my two cents
    Good Luck
    burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

Join the club we have 40 members and the same 15 show up for everything, we do what we can and use the other members when they do show up.That's why it's called volunteer you don't have to be there.

We have about 35 members and the same 10 show up for meetings, training, and most calls. In our department, when someone hasn't been coming around for a while, an officer will put a lot of pressure on them and give them the message that they need to either show up or turn in their gear and pager. But I understand you are in a different situation since you have so few members. I think your officers need to do some research on some good recruitment/retention ideas.

It is an absolute shame hearing about FFs that will not work with other FFs. I get along with everybody in my dept, but there used to be a new cocky FF that I could not stand. I got into it with him a few times, but that never stopped us from working together. And if he was in trouble in a fire, even though I could not stand him, I would have put my life on the line for him just like I would any of the others. Hope he would have done the same for me.

Burncmsfd is leading you down the right road. The problems between people did not stop them from joining or being accepted into membership in the first place, so it shouldn't effect their participation. As a vol. chief I have found that the QUALITY and RELEVANCE of training along with well planned meetings help to keep the attendance up. A posted training schedule that is adhered to, vehicle maintenance assignments that have to be done prior to the training, and assignments of one or two people to furnish refreshments for the meeting helps. Leadership is the key and when someone is leading instead of pushing their weight around much more will get done. When one joins the volunteer military they do not have the option of not showing up. Each person has their place and they know that the whole depends on the parts. Good luck, and keep us posted.

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Unhappy

We have the same problem.
    My morale gets low when I hear that because I do not do interior attack I am not a FF. Oddly enough, when there is something that needs to be done that isn't a "glory" job, you don't see the "interior" folks. I get the impression it is beneath their dignity.
    I show up for everything possible and I have a whole bunch of things that I do that I'm sure no one notices. I console myself with the thought that it is part of my contribution. I try to help to keep things running smoothly. The only way I think it would be noticed if I was gone is if someone else had to pick up the slack and that would be the same 7 or 8 guys and they do more than their share as it is. What else can I do? That's my choice.

Right now, I'm really ripped because there are 3 guys that I haven't seen in a year (no exaggeration) that are hoarding pagers. We are desparately short of pagers. I feel entitled to one because I show up consistantly . I figure the Chief should make a home visit and collect these pagers with the assurance that these guys will be re-assigned a pager after more attendance at calls and practices. The answer to that thought was that we don't want to **** them off
    because they show up sometimes. Well, I do the paperwork and the answer to that one is Oh no they don't!! The joy of being at the bottom of the ladder (HAHA) is that I have to listen to Officers. So here I sit figuratively grumbling away at the keyboard........

Now, after reading all the posts, I realize we are all in the same boat. We can either row it or jump overboard.
    I'm going to row because I love the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bosco, It comes as no surprise that you are in the same situation that a lot of departments are experiencing. Ours as well.

I'm assuming that your department might work like many others that I know of. You have a certain annual percentage of calls, trainings, work-nights, etc. that you must show up for to be in compliance. We do in our department and for the most part they are very easy to accomodate. What happens if you fall under the requirements? You sit down with an officer and see where you can make it up. Some guys with difficult work and family schedules might have a tailored plan for them. All-in-all it's pretty fair for everyone.

The problem comes with members that fit the personality type that it seems like you're describing. The one who gripes about everything and everyone. They don't like working with this guy or don't feel "safe" around that guy. They feel they might know more than anyone else and that their ideas are never accepted. And through all of their apparent hardships they never discuss it with anyone who they should be bringing it up to. They just Whine to other members or just elect not to show up at all. I don't think it's a stretch for me to say that we all might know someone like that.

Well unfortunately we had to let go a few individuals that fit that description. Don't misunderstand me, It's not like we just up and "fired" them. We tried on several occasions to contact them by phone and letter to inform them of their status and wanted to work with them to bring their requirement percentage back up again. We did this all to no avail. Two resigned and the others were informed that we were forced to drop them from the membership.

Pretty harsh for a volunteer department huh? Even though I am not an officer, nor did I have anything to do with our department moving forward and doing this, I feel it was the right decision. I know that I'm going to catch flack from some of you guys (Truck 106) when you feel strongly that you can't do that in a volunteer department since that's what we are, "volunteers" and we show up when we can. This issue goes beyond that. These are individuals who could eventually compromise the safety and lives of others if they do not show up to train and be a part of the department like the rest of us.

I myself don't have everything in common with all of the guys in my company. I may disagree with them from time to time. But I still choose to stay because of the love for the job. Not because I get along with so-and-so outside the department. We know that the lowered roster is going to hurt a bit for now. We're hoping that with a new screening process and more diligence in our recruiting we will some day overcome this.

Keep your spirits up, RookieLZ. I don't like the way your chief runs things. But that's not your fault.

And anyone who tells you that you're not a firefighter because you don't do interior attack is an idiot who probably is lacking in self-esteem. Tell those "macho" interior FFs on your department that they couldn't fight the fire if the others didn't do their part - particularly the engineer or whoever is at the pump panel. Them saying you're not a real firefighter is exactly the same as a running back telling his offensive line they're not real football players because they don't carry the ball across the goal line and score the points. Interior attack can't do their job without the exterior guys and a running back can't do what he is supposed to with his O-Line.

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Thank-you for your support.
    I do what I can and try to take the load off the others that have been giving 150% for years. I like what I do and most of the time I feel good about my contribution. I guess that post caught me just when the truck came back from repairs and the same old gang showed up to get it back in service.
    We should call ourselves the "old faithfulls."
    I am in much better spirits today

I'm still a firm believer that if someone is contributing minimally from the organization, and causing the entire organization as a whole to diminish, then that individual needs to be removed from the organization (even if it's all volunteer).

that being said, a leader can throw someone off a department. there is nothing in the rules against it. however, a good leader will try to figure out why the person isn't doing what they are supposed to be doing. if two guys on your department won't answer calls because of each other, tell them to either avoid each other (that means get on different engines) or quit. Also, if someone does quit, or gets dismissed, do an exit interview. ask them "is there anything we could have done to make your time here better" or "were you legitamately busy with other stuff, or was there something that made you not put forth the effort"?

When I left my department up at college, I had a 5 minute chat with one of the admin officers. and he asked me, "over the last couple of months, you havn't been all that active. was there a reason for this?" and I told him, I was swamped with school, but I could have made the effort. the problem was I was sick of doing nothing, and not being able to advance to the level of interior firefighter. I had come into the department with prior experience, and eager to contribute, and it seemed like everywhere I turned, I kept hitting a brick wall. and when I saw a cadet (we gets on his knees for our career members) given the title of interior FF a month after he turned 18, while i've been fighting for 9 months to complete this thing, I said screw it. it wasn't worth me going out of my way to help them. He made a note of it, and we said good bye.

ROOKIELZ, no offense, but you need to understand how most fire services work. you go through several levels, from starting with no knowledge, to becoming an exterior firefighter/probationary firefighter, to an interior firefighter who can operate inside. from interior FF, you can go on to engineer, line officer, fire inspector, etc. the goal of every firefighter should be to become certified as interior firefighters. they are the ones who are going into burning buildings and putting the fire out. yes, exterior and support operations are important, and if you are interior qualified, but are doing exterior work, there is no shame in that. but to say "I'm an exterior firefighter, and I've reached my goal on the fire departmen" just isn't a good mindset to have.

as to your problem with the pagers, you need to understand that an interior firefighter can do the job of an exterior firefighter, but not the other way around. as an exterior only, your a gopher, an extra pair of hands, nice to have, often very useful, but (and I'm not trying to be mean) the call would probably turn out the same way if you were there or not. if you want a leg to stand on when you complain, become an interior firefighter, and then tell the chief "I've made 80 alarms, while these 3 guys only made 2. If I had a pager, I could answer more." Then you can say he either needs to purchase more pagers or get them back from inactive people. he might still say no, but at least you'll have a much stronger arguement if you are on an equal level with the other interior guys.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information