Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Erie House Explosion!

We had a house 2 blocks from my house and the fire station explode this afternoon, leveled the house, which was the Asst. Fire Chiefs house.
    check out this news site

House explosion in Erie
    http://www.WQAD.com/Global/story.asp?s=2396548

Find more items like this at http://www.WQAD.com
    Copyright 2004 WQAD

Any ideas on the cause? Natural Gas? Glad to hear nobody was injured. My thoughts are with him and his family.......

Have not heard the final determination, but possibly was a natural gas leak.

Glad no one was injured! Like firenresq77 said our thoughts are with him. A similar thing happened in this area in nearby Flora. A circuit judge was in the house at the time and he was blown into a field. Luckily he survived with some burns and broken bones and is reportedly well on his way to recovery. Here's the story on this incident.

Flora House Expolsion Injures Judge

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Yogi:
    Saw it on the news. Which one was you?
    Definitely, a big boom!
    Glad no one was hurt.
    Heart goes out to the AC and his family.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

I stayed out of site of the cameras, If the guys at work see me on the news I have to buy Whitey's Ice Cream!!! I was at home when it exploded, 2 blocks from it, I ran to the fire station, just kiddy corner from my house, and could see the smoke and dust down the street. I dispatched the fire dept and then county did after I did. I ended up driving/operating the engine. We had both our engines hooked to hydrants and had port a tanks, engines were on different sides of the house. Mutual aid was called and there were several neighboring depts there, Hillsdale, Cordova, Lyndon, Port Byron Albany, Morrison-(at our station) and Barstow (think they were moved to Hillsdale station and then moved up)
    For police Dept there was Erie, Whiteside County, IL State Police, Hillsdale Police and Cordova Police, I belive the Whitside County ESDA was there to. We had both Erie Ambulance's on scene providing the rehab for us, the Erie FireFlies(ladies Auxiliary) was there providing water and sandwiches.
    Just heard this morning that the investigation will continue on Monday.
    I also heard there is going to be a benifit for the family put on by the community on Oct. 23rd, I think is when it is.

This small community always has come together in times of need!!
    Lil yogi

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Default Not as glamorous as an explosion, but the result is the same....

So much for Fire Prevention Week. From the DeKalb Daily Chronicle:

Fire destroys Hinckley home
    By Chris Rickert - City Editor

HINCKLEY - A Thursday night fire just north of Hinckley left no one injured but did destroy a former Aurora couple's "dream" home.

The cause of the fire at 17145 Lasher Road had not been determined as of this morning. The state fire marshal is investigating the incident.

"This was our dream property," said Shauna Cermak, who owned the home with her husband, Chuck. "We loved it, absolutely loved it here. ... We will rebuild."

The couple moved into the home nearly six years ago, she said, and had been in the process of rehabbing it. She also had added extensive landscaping to the lot.

Hinckley Fire District Chief Jay VanLanduyt said the fire was reported by a motorist at about 10:20 p.m. Thursday. The Cermaks were gone at the time but arrived home just before firefighters showed up, VanLanduyt said.

The fire had spread to most of the home when firefighters got there and it took them about an hour to get it under control, VanLanduyt said. The Maple Park, Kaneville, Big Rock, Elburn, Hinckley, Waterman and Sugar Grove fire departments responded to the blaze, he said.

Shauna Cermak said she didn't know how old the house was. Damage estimates also were not yet available.

She said the support the couple has received from neighbors has been "unbelievable," with one neighbor even taking the couples' two dogs to a different location while firefighters battled the fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Default The 2nd Alarm

Jay, I had just sat down at work when you went to the box. Sounded like you had a pretty good handle on it.
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Check out our website, I have posted some pics of the explosion

www.eriefpd.com
    click on Fire Dept
    then click photos
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Default WHITEY'S?????????

HOW DARE YOU GET WHITEY'S ICE CREAM WHEN SILERS'S IS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Thread Information