MembersZone Subscriber

Default Position Descriptions

I'm looking to try and put together position or "job" descriptions for my fire officers. Is there anyone out there that already has these types of descriptions, and would be willing to share. I would really like to see what other departments are doing. Thank you in advance

Forum Member

This is what our Rules and Regulations say. These may be changing somewhat over the next couple of months, but this is what we have at the moment. I've included the descriptions for Engineers and Firefighters as well.

As used in these descriptions, "Crew" refers to the division (you could call it a shift) of the department into three (more or less) equal divisions, each consisting of a Captain II, a Captain I, 2-3 Engineers and 10-12 Firefighters/Probationary Firefighters. "Company" refers to the personnel assigned to a specific apparatus on a response. A Company can be made up of personnel from one or more Crews as apparatus are staffed on a "first come, first served" basis during responses.

Chief of Department

The Chief of Department shall preside at all Regular and Special Department Meetings and shall impartially enforce the Rules and Regulations of the Department. The Chief of Department shall appoint all Committees, Officers (other than the Department Secretary), Engineers and Crew assignments.

The Chief of Department shall have full control of the Department and its apparatus at all emergency responses, drills, parades and other Department Activities

The Chief of Department shall supervise the activities of the Bureau of Fire Prevention.

The Chief of Department shall cast a deciding vote in the case of a tie.

The Chief of Department shall be present at all meetings and fires, or have authorized representation, in so far as possible.

The Chief of Department shall be the sole representative of the Department to the City Council and the City Administrator on all Department administrative and financial matters.

Assistant Chiefs

The Assistant Chiefs of the Department shall perform the duties of the Chief of Department during the Chief of Department's absence and he/she shall have the same powers and be subject to the same rules as pertain to the Chief of Department when acting as such.

Captains II

Captains II shall be responsible for the supervision of their assigned Crew/Company and the maintenance of apparatus and equipment under his/her command.

The Captain II shall direct and control his/her Crew/Company, abide by and perform such duties as shall be designated by the Department's Rules and Regulations.

In case of an injury to a member in the line of duty, he/she shall ensure that the necessary reports or forms are completed and filed with the Chief of Department and/or the Department Secretary.

Captains II shall assist the Chief Officers in managing the Department and apparatus at emergency responses, drills and parades and shall take charge of the Department in the absence of the Chief Officers.

Captains I

The Captains I shall perform all the duties, have the same authorities and be subject to the same rules and regulations that pertain to the office of Captain II when acting in his/her absence.

The Captains I shall perform such other duties as the Captain II may direct, or as designated in the Department's Rules and Regulations.

The Captains I shall assist the Chief Officers in managing the Department and apparatus at emergency responses, drills and parades and shall take charge of the Department in the absence of the Chief Officers and Captains II.

Engineers

Engineers shall be responsible for the care and preventative maintenance of the apparatus and all equipment on that apparatus.

Engineers shall be responsible for the operation of the apparatus in accordance with all State of California Department of Motor Vehicle Regulations, the Rules and Regulations of the Department and the Department's Standard Operating Procedures.

Engineers shall carry our all of the assignments and orders of the Crew/Company Officers as directed if these assignments and orders are in conformance with the Department's Rules and Regulations and Standard Operating Procedures.

Firefighters

Firefighters shall attend all responses, drills, meetings and activities of the Department, in so far as possible.

Firefighters shall obey the orders of, and assist their superior Officers as directed if these assignments and orders are in conformance with the Department's Rules and Regulations and Standard Operating Procedures.
    Last edited by SafetyPro; 10-07-2004 at 11:01 PM.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you very much

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Officer's Jobs

Chief Mech maintains all apparatus

2nd Lieut. maintains all air packs and masks

1st Lieut. is responsible for ordering all gear, pagers & accessories, etc.

Assistant Chief, Deputy Chief, and Chief of Department;
    Oversees all daily operations of Department, attends all pertinent meetings, (Fire Advisory Board, County Chief's, Village Board, etc.).
    These are a few of the jobs beyond their chain of command at a scene.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Thread Information