Thread: Fleetnet radios

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Fleetnet radios

Our Volunteer dept in Saskatchewan has been told by Sasktel that the Fleetnet radios our province uses will be deleted out of service by 2005.
    We are looking for parts suppliers until then and then...
    we are looking for ideas for a replacement communications system. Please tell me what systems you are using and how good the support system is.

THANKS

Forum Member

I really find that hard to believe. Look at almost all of the EMS services in Saskatchewan, use Fleetnet. I know EMS hasn't been told of this, and us at the fire department haven't either, cause we just ordered new fleetnet's for the trucks, and were told that we could continue to use them for years to come. But if this is true, I can imagine a lot of people being mad at Sasktel.

MembersZone Subscriber

WE found it hard to believe also. That's why I am trying to find out about parts and possibly other comms systems. It just doesn't ring quite right, if we understand the information correctly.

Cell phones in a grouping or bundle was an option given to us. (Yeah, right!! We'd have to print our own money to afford that system...)

Howdy:

Sasktel is dropping support for FleetNet starting next year!! Our dept is looking at options, not only for ourselves, but for police and other city departments as well.

As it stands, all of us here have a private channel and an "emergency" channel that can connect all city departments. Now, all we have to do is find something similiar at around the same price !!

Murray

MembersZone Subscriber

So Murray, what systems are you looking at? Our Dept is just having fits because we don't have enough Fleetnets let alone trying to convince the town that they need to cough up money for a different system.
    We are in a bit of a pinch here. We raised $$ for a new fire hall, the town has a "so what" attitude, the RM fully supports us. Then our pumper needs major repairs so our town goes and takes it out of the fire hall fund claiming they don't have the $$ for repairs. How on earth are we going to find money for a different system?

Alberta has a trial system on the go right now, I believe it is nicknamed "dog" or something like that. I haven't heard much about it but I am going to try and find out how that is shaping up.

I would like to get working as a team to scope out various systems: the exchange of information would be useful to all of us in the long run. Who's game???

Forum Member

Originally posted by ROOKIELZ
    I would like to get working as a team to scope out various systems: the exchange of information would be useful to all of us in the long run. Who's game???
    you can count me in on that one.

need a new tower

This has been in the news, I first heard about it approx 2 months ago on the Lloydminister news. (Their Ambulance runs with fleetnet)

Sorry but I don't have much to offer in ways of new systems...

I am also unfarmiliar with the "dog" you speak of and will have to research it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Fleetnet

We have heard about the Fleetnet system being dropped by Sasktel through our Fire Board. We have however heard that Sasktel had the technology for Sale and that someone may buy it and continue to run the system. Has anyone else heard of this?

I would be intrested in any new systems available as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Justin30: Just out of curiosity...what kind of "someone" would be likely to buy and service that kind of technology? I'm thinking maybe if we have to change systems, we may need to contact "someone" to see what they can offer.
    Any ideas???

MembersZone Subscriber

Stealth: the name has a "canine" association. Kinda like FIDO or something like that. Does that help any?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Voice Over IP Demonstration

With the announced shut down of FleetNet, we are actively looking for other inter-operability options for our communications needs. One possible solution is Voice Over IP.

We have asked BSE Canada to give us a demonstration of their Voice Over IP system. This company was at the CAFC Conference in St. John's and have a solution for emergency operations.

Anyone who is interested in seeing this demonstration is welcome to attend the demonstration.

DATE - DECEMBER 2, 2004
    TIME - 1:00 PM
    LOCATION - WEYBURN FIRE HALL

If you know of other emergency communications agencies who would be interested in this demonstration, feel free to pass on this invitation.

Denis M. Pilon, Fire Chief
    Weyburn Fire Department
    P.O. Box 370
    55 - 16th Street
    Weyburn, Saskatchewan
    S4H 2K6

Phone (306) 848-3240
    Fax (306) 842-1766
    Email dpilon@city.weyburn.sk.ca

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone heard any updates on Fleetnet?
    Is anyone going to Weyburn to look over the Voice over IP system?

Thread Information