Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Red and green lights outside firehouses

Why is it there are red and green lights outside of fire houses, as you face the station the red is to the right and green to the left.
    I asked around and no one seems to know, I have googled the heck out of it and still nothing.
    Hopfully someone knows!

Forum Member

While they serve a common general purpose of physically identifying a Fire Station, the presence or absence, specific use and location of red (seemingly the most common) and/or other colored lights upon or near Fire Stations in North America is mostly a local matter.

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Lightbulb

Do a search on the left of this page. This has been talked about before.

Chicago is the only department, that I know, that uses Green and Red lights.

I don't recall ever seeing any thing other than Red or the regular white lights on a fire station.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't remember the Chief's name off hand, but it started in Chicago.
    Many years back the Chicago chief was in to nautical things and the red and green lights reflect this. When returning to a harbor the red light will be on your right "red, right, returning" it keeps the boats from running aground on a breakwater.

Same reason the green and red lights are on Chicago rigs. Starboard, Right, Green and Port, Left, Red.

Lightbulb

ADSNWFLD.........has it the most correct ........it has been discussed here before as the Capt has said also.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Red on right returning, wah, wah, short short I'm going to port.

At my stations we have them and why they are there is we use them intergrated with our grage doors, when opening they are lit up green and then after they are open a dlocked to stay open they stay on green. now when they are closing they turn red and also if the garage door has a problem the red light tells the driver whooooo do back in yet there is a problem. if you would liek pic's let me know i can get them.

Default CFD

Just for fyi, did you also know the cheif of chicago also had part in the color of thier engine's and trucks? His car was an older chevy I do believe and it had a black top on it, and when they had to repaint their rigs, they ran out of red and painted the rest of the top black, and turned out that it looked good and has been that way ever since'

MembersZone Subscriber

The person who is responsible, so I am told, is Fire Commisoner Robert Quinn. They came from the accepted nautical practice which designated which way the ship or boat was going, starboard red and port green. He was instramental in many areas for the fire service. One of the things he brought is the Snorkel. He watched workers using the cherry pickers at an orchard and did some expirementing with them. Snorkels were made in St. Joseph, Missouri, the plant has moved across the river on the Kansas side. They no longer make units for the fire service but still make them for other uses. He was also the first to use helicopters to get a birdseye view of a large scene. During his time he was the guy others in the fire service looked up to. I love some of the pictures of him with his leather fire helmet all out of shape from years of use. If you are interested in history, do some reading on him. I believe Dennis Smith's book on the history of firefighting includes a few things about him.

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Thumbs up

StLRes2cue; Now that you have said this, I remember seeing the station lights on your houses. We came over there back in 1996 looking at the quints. Afterwards, we went that way. Years ago when I came on the job the outside of the stations had a red globe on a light fixture with a heavy duty 100 light bulg in the socket. Now all the lights have clear lens and the standard 100 watt bulb or newer houses have quartz lights.

How are the newer rides doing? You guys still have pumpers in quarters with the quints and run them? We run that way.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I know the red/green Chicago idea. Around Buffalo NY most firehouses have red. The green lights are on Police Stations. Possibly a sub station for PD
    next door.

Thread Information