Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Trying get hired!!

Hey Guys,

I am trying to get hired on full-time fire dept or POC, I have been searching the papers, the internet, pounding the pavement its seems like nobody is hiring? I have ff II, hazmat opers, EMT-b. I'm from the metro-Detroit area, MI. Can anybody help me?

Sincerly,
    Joe

Default Not sure

But as far as I have been able to find out out, most of those dept's just finished hiring and are now doing the academy thing or are just finishing up and getting ready to do the academy thing. I will keep my eyes and ears open though.
    -Nobody Burns-

-You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.-

*Starburst*
    WTFD 6-31

MembersZone Subscriber

check internet and newspapers. There are jobs all over michigan. Just need to check and drive a little bit. Port huron just placed an ad.

Forum Member

Keep plugging away Capton. A lot of depts have had to make cuts and lay offs because of budget crunches. There have been some hiring though. Have you thought of getting your medic license? That's one way they've gone to limit applicants. It takes some guys a couple years or more to get hired, don't give up!

Forum Member

Default ack8236 replying back!!

Thanks, for your encouragement ack 8236. Yes, to your question
    regards to the medic license. I want to become a medic eventually!!
    I am waiting to hear from a POC-dept though they are hiring, and I'm going through the selection process them starting background check now. I also, heard that some full-time depts will put you through the class and pay for it, if you pass with a "C" or better? I have applied as far as Ann Arbor, mi to Lansing, mi and about 10 depts in the metro area here. So, I don't know I guess I just have to wait and see what happens. Thank you for the information.

take care& be safe
    Joe

Forum Member

Dearborn is hiring, but require a medic license. Try some POC. just start calling everywhere and ask what they require, when they are taking apps. Than just keep a notebook with that info so you dont miss any application deadlines.

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

My dept. is always taking applications for POC. We usually don't hire till Aug. or Sept.. But from the WAMMAwebsite Ann Arbor Twp., Augusta Twp. and Van Buren Twp. are all taking apps. also.
    Good Luck and keep trying.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

The place to try in Macomb county is Chesterfield Twp. They don't require medic yet, and they will be hiring probably 3-4 every 6 months for a couple of years. They are finishing one new station now, then will start on another (will be 4 total). They have only been full time a couple of years, already have about 25 FFs. They are looking to start running ambulances soon too. Almost everyone else around here requires medic at hire.

From what I've heard, Chesterfield takes apps all the time, throw em out every few months and start over. No test. Chesterfield Twp starts at M-59 @ I-94 and continues north and west from there 6 miles.

Royal Oak passed an ordinance to hire 5-6 more FFs. Saline is hoping to hire more in the next year. Unfortunately, you will be competing for a job with 20 firefighters laid off in Warren and another 60 from Flint. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It just gets harder!

Cap,
    Let me tell you something and vent at the same time. I got my medic license in spring 2004, even taking a job as a local ambulance medic to get experience. I have been applying everywhere possible in this state. Here is what I have learned about MI:

MORE FIREFIGHTERS ARE BEING LAYED OFF THAN HIRED!!!!!

Every day I run to the mail praying for good news on how I did on a test. And every night I feel like giving up this profession because I cannot get a job. But this is the only thing I have a passion for.
    Having a medic license is essential, but it still dosen't guarantee a job.

Let me give you an example of my last 2 monthes:
    3 cities- st. clair shores, royal oak, and monroe. Not sure on royal yet, I was in the teens after the written. scs, 8th overall. hiring 5. 6 month list. bye bye. Now monroe. Did unreal on the written . #1. Went into the oral board and choked the fattest *** possible. Not sure where I landed but it can't be #1. So everyday I run to the mailbox praying.

The worst part is every test I go to all you see is layed off Warren guys. And these guys SHOULD get hired because they have experience. You almost want to walk out when you see them. I just got a job on a volunteer dept. and am hoping this helps too.

Bottom line is..... this state sux to get a job in. I want to go out of state but dont make enough money to travel and apply. Plus wife has strong family here. So stay single~! It is the best career in the world, but it tears my heart out every day right now. Keep on trying man, and good luck to all.

Thread Information