Forum Member

Default training and certs / millitary

do most departments recognize DoD certs? I will graduate college in 6 months and am thinking about enlisting as a military firefighter for 4 years or so. What kind of advantage will this give im the civilian field? I hear Air Force is the best branch to go, any opinions?

Thanks

Forum Member

Best decision I ever made. Got top notch training and a lot of personnel skills that put me heads above most people my age. Your time will help in testing for a civilian department in a lot of ways....vet pref., solid background, etc. The air force is the way to go in my opinion. The only other service that has active duty military firefighters are the marines, but they only cover arff. Just make sure you get what you want before signing on the dotted line.

I can't think of any municipal, county, or state department that accepts IFSAC (federal) certs. HOWEVER, some certifications can be grandfathered over. I got my California Firefighter II certification that way.

I have to agree with Sparky02 on the Air Force deal. That's the branch I was in, be careful which base you request because some people can go their entire career and never see a fire. Ride backseat as long as you can, the military likes to push people to promote fast. Like from firefighter to driver to crew chief/engine captain in less than three years sometimes. There are many good bases to get to, what state were you hoping for? If overseas, Rammstein, more specifically Volgoway area is one of the best. Stateside, Mountain Home, Id. if you want to travel, Vandenberg, Ca. for wildland experience as they have one of the most progressive wildland training programs in the Air Force, Beale, Ca. isn't bad if you don't mind the one horse town. Tyndall, Fl. isn't a bad assignment as they do a lot of research and developement for the military fire service there. I also hear Tinker, Ok. is a pretty good time for USAR type stuff because of the tornadoes.

Forum Member

Originally posted by rallydog93535
    I can't think of any municipal, county, or state department that accepts IFSAC (federal) certs. HOWEVER, some certifications can be grandfathered over. I got my California Firefighter II certification that way.

DoD certs are recognized by IFSAC and Proboard, these in turn are recognized by quite a few states and parts of Canada (just in case you like it cold eh).

IFSAC

The following states are IFSAC accredited for some or all levels

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin

Proboard

The following states are Proboard accredited for some or all levels

Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia

Additionally California is now Proboard accredited for Hazmat

California is a world of its own, for the most part it doesn't recognize anyone elses certs, and nobody recognizes California's certs. The California fire service does have good training though even if it isn't recognized out of state. Also as mentioned there are often ways around reciprocity if you can find a department to work with you. Keep all your training records, some times these can be used to meet the requirements of a non-IFSAC / Proboard states requirements.

I have every single one of my certification originals. I don't think I've run across a non-federal department here in the People's Republic of California that accepted my IFSAC certs. However, that's no big deal because I still have state certs too.

Forum Member

And you won't in California (except for your hazmat awareness, ops and IC which they should).

What I was refering to for training records is the check off sheets used when you got your DoD FF1 & 2, often times departments will consider the previous training and apply it towards your CA FF1 & 2, this can also be done if you can show what was covered by your FF1 & 2 training by getting the standards used. In actuality the DoD FF1 & 2 cover the same stuff as the CA FF1 & 2 just in a differant order (some DoD FF2 is in CA FF1 and some CA FF2 is in DoD FF1). Due to getting IFSAC certs I was tasked with comparing them with the state so the chief knew what tasks had to be done to get the state certs.

I am pretty sure this is what your department did to "grandfather" your DoD cert to CA. Like I said if you can get a department to work with you "reciprocity" is generally possible, but trying to take your IFSAC / Proboard to the state and saying you want a state cert will only happen if you are lucky and talk to an exceptionally helpful person or in an IFSAC / Proboard state.
    Last edited by NonSurfinCaFF; 10-22-2004 at 04:21 PM.

Actually, I don't think my DoD Hazmat Ops/Awareness cert transferred over, I have my CSTI cert anyways. Also, it's up to the individual to get their Cal State FF 1 or 2 through reciprocity. The department won't do it for you, it only costs like $37 or so anyways and that's tax deductible.

I would love to get all my certifications changed over to Ca. State, but I don't think that'll happen. It was only recently that IFSAC and Cal State had reciprocity for Hazmat Tech. and I think it was only from California to Fed, if it worked both ways I need to change my tech to Cali!

Thread Information