Sr. Information Officer

Post Firefighting Gear...taking donations.

Flip flops part of your uniform?...

Newport man collects fire gear for Iraqis
    astalbak
    ASTORIA, Ore. (AP) - A Newport man who's the son of a California
    firefighter was appalled when he saw a news clip of an Iraqi
    firefighter going into a blaze wearing flip-flops and a T-shirt -
    when many American fire departments are blessed with a surplus of
    equipment.
    Thom Nelson decided to help. As he was bringing a new fishing
    boat up the coast from California to his home in Newport, he asked
    fire departments along the way to donate extra jackets, pants,
    gloves, helmets, hoses and other gear.
    "We have an abundance of surplus gear that's no longer up to
    our standards," Nelson told the Daily Astorian newspaper. "If
    some of this gear helps save some Iraqi's life, that Iraqi would
    have a better opinion of us, and view us more favorably."
    So far, he has collected more than four pallets of equipment,
    enough to equip three small fire posts. He has commitments from
    other fire departments, and hopes to get enough to equip 10
    stations.
    Nelson hopes to have the equipment collected by next month, and
    said he will send it to Iraq with the help of the National Guard or
    the relief organization Doctors Without Borders.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Ya know, I support what this guy is doing and really believe it's a good thing...but wouldn't it be nice if every FF in the US had adequate equipment?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    Ya know, I support what this guy is doing and really believe it's a good thing...but wouldn't it be nice if every FF in the US had adequate equipment?
    Sure, but he is collecting the gear that we have deemed not up to par in our over litigious society. If our folks can't use them for anything other then props, lets get it to Firefighters that can.

Sure, but he is collecting the gear that we have deemed not up to par in our over litigious society. If our folks can't use them for anything other then props, lets get it to Firefighters that can.
    What about departments in the US that don't have any of the equipment we need?

We don't have ANY spare 4" other then some 20' sections. Our spare 2.5", 1.75", is all starting to age, and less and less is making it through the tests each year. We had to choose what our priorities were, protecting ourselves, or hose. We went for PPE.

What about departments here in the US that lose everything to storms, fire, what have you. Couldn't they be on the receiving end of some of this?

I think we need to protect our own, before trying to protect others...

Forum Member

Originally posted by 42VTExplorer

What about departments in the US that don't have any of the equipment we need?

We don't have ANY spare 4" other then some 20' sections. Our spare 2.5", 1.75", is all starting to age, and less and less is making it through the tests each year. We had to choose what our priorities were, protecting ourselves, or hose. We went for PPE.

What about departments here in the US that lose everything to storms, fire, what have you. Couldn't they be on the receiving end of some of this?

I think we need to protect our own, before trying to protect others...
    Could US Departments use it? In theory, yes, but usually they either reject the stuff, "we don't take charity, or that stuff is too old, we want new fresh stuff", or the gear that is being donated is not in compliance with the newest equipment standards/regulations. If it can't, or won't, be used here why do you want to deny it to folks who can and will use it?

It is not always as fast coming as we would like or you might have to dig deep to find it, but funds are relatively abundent in the United States to take care of the Departments that lose equipment or are starting out. These fire houses in Iraq and other places do not have anything, giving them our surplus and unserviceable, by our standards, gear is the least we can do. To deny them what we can easily give is not being a good human, and is not in the American Spirit.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Take care of our own first!

There are plenty of small one horse departments in the US that can use any thing thay can get their hands on.

Don't be sending anything out of this country.

Let them find it else where!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    Take care of our own first!

There are plenty of small one horse departments in the US that can use any thing thay can get their hands on.

Don't be sending anything out of this country.

Let them find it else where!
    Yeah that is a great attitude, abandon all but your own. With the wealth and giving of America, any department that is really hurting for gear is not trying hard/looking enough.

Are own is pretty well taken care of when you look around the world. If this gear can't be used here, what the heck is the problem with giving it to others who don't have to follow restrictive regulations?

You all's attitude is disgraceful.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Yeah that is a great attitude, abandon all but your own. With the wealth and giving of America, any department that is really hurting for gear is not trying hard/looking enough.

Are own is pretty well taken care of when you look around the world. If this gear can't be used here, what the heck is the problem with giving it to others who don't have to follow restrictive regulations?

You all's attitude is disgraceful.

PAL:

Your are gross to say the least, with out posting something that is obscene. You know very little about the fire service arcoss this country, who has and who has not.

I say that if we as Americans should take care of our firefighters here in this country. Like I said there are plenty of small departments that don't have turnouts, helmets, hose and other items. Lets give them the stuff we are throwing away on the dump or burning at the training center. My department gave to the Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Fire Programs, used turnouts, helmets, hose line, nozzles, radios that we had declared surplus. They in turn gave them to the resume speed and left elbow departments. They was so glad to get this used gear. Their county can hardly afford the fuel for the trucks. Budgets are like $5000.00 a year. This doesn't buy much.

This country has sent far to much to countries over seas for years, only to get stuck in the back from them in thanks. France, England, Italy and others could care less about the United States, unless we are giving them money and aid. Besides, their turnouts are as equal or better than what we have.

We need to take care of our own.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-13-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Forum Member

PAL:

Your are gross to say the least, with out posting something that is obscene. You know very little about the fire service arcoss this country, who has and who has not.

I say that if we as Americans should take care of our firefighters here in this country. Like I said there are plenty of small departments that don't have turnouts, helmets, hose and other items. Lets give them the stuff we are throwing away on the dump or burning at the training center. My department gave to the Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Fire Programs, used turnouts, helmets, hose line, nozzles, radios that we had declared surplus. They in turn gave them to the resume speed and left elbow departments. They was so glad to get this used gear. Their county can hardly afford the fuel for the trucks. Budgets are like $5000.00 a year. This doesn't buy much.

This country has sent far to much to countries over seas for years, only to get stuck in the back from them in thanks. France, England, Italy and others could care less about the United States, unless we are giving them money and aid. Besides, their turnouts are as equal or better than what we have.

We need to take care of our own.
    Your insult of England and Italy is far off the mark. We are not giving them aid, they are supporting us! They are our largest allies in Iraq and Afghanistan, you insult their warriors that are helping our boys overseas to keep the world a little safer.

In this country there is so much to be had that the only reason why anyone has a budget so low that they can not handle the basics is because they are too lazy to ask or to cheap to dig deep. There is tons of federal and state funding, of course more can always be used, but I guess the haves seem to be doing the asking and the have nots are just doing the complaining.

Someone here needs this stuff, then as you can see, all they have to do is ask. Don't insult a giving person who sees the needs of other humans and firefighters, regardless of the color of their skin or their geographical location, and fulfills the need with our outdated and surplus gear.

Forum Member

Why dont this guy work for FEMA/FIRE ACT?
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

the only reason why anyone has a budget so low that they can not handle the basics is because they are too lazy to ask or to cheap to dig deep.
    I'll tell you what DennisTheMenace, send me your home contact information. I know a company in Kentucky (that I have donated equipment to and someone near me is sending an old engine soon) that would love to talk to you about being too lazy or to cheap to dig deep. I'm thinking you may need to spend a little time out in the extremely rural parts of this country. You are way off base.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace

Your insult of England and Italy is far off the mark. We are not giving them aid, they are supporting us! They are our largest allies in Iraq and Afghanistan, you insult their warriors that are helping our boys overseas to keep the world a little safer.

In this country there is so much to be had that the only reason why anyone has a budget so low that they can not handle the basics is because they are too lazy to ask or to cheap to dig deep. There is tons of federal and state funding, of course more can always be used, but I guess the haves seem to be doing the asking and the have nots are just doing the complaining.

Someone here needs this stuff, then as you can see, all they have to do is ask. Don't insult a giving person who sees the needs of other humans and firefighters, regardless of the color of their skin or their geographical location, and fulfills the need with our outdated and surplus gear.
    You are full of it sonny. I am not going to argue with you as it is like giving medicine to the dead! Give you stuff away. And, what did England, France or Italy ever do for the US?? They were against us in various wars.

Forum Member

You are full of it sonny. I am not going to argue with you as it is like giving medicine to the dead! Give you stuff away. And, what did England, France or Italy ever do for the US?? They were against us in various wars.
    Sonny?

They have been with us far more then they have been against us. Kind of sad that an experanced pro like yourself has not seen the world and the positive results that our international interaction has brought.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Is this the famous "rescueranger" from the New England area of CT? You sure sound like him.

You make friend fast huh?

No one is a small department in the hills of KY, TN, VA, WVA, GA, AL, MD, or PA and any other state is Lazy. Some counties are so poor that all they can afford is the fuel for their trucks. Sometimes they can do that and they have to raise monies by chicken and fish fries and bar-b-ques. I would give any department like this equipment before I did any thing else to it.

Go play elsewhere.

I have nothing else to say to you period!

Forum Member

Is this the famous "rescueranger" from the New England area of CT? You sure sound like him.

You make friend fast huh?

No one is a small department in the hills of KY, TN, VA, WVA, GA, AL, MD, or PA and any other state is Lazy. Some counties are so poor that all they can afford is the fuel for their trucks. Sometimes they can do that and they have to raise monies by chicken and fish fries and bar-b-ques. I would give any department like this equipment before I did any thing else to it.

Go play elsewhere.

I have nothing else to say to you period!
    So should lazy be changed to ignorent? TN and VA departments that really want/need gear seem to have no problem filling out the right grant paper work to get what they need, if not what they really want. They can be taken care of, you can tell them to call their congressman's office, they will be more then happy to help show them where the money is.

Give your equipment to them, help them get it from others, but don't be a closed off protectionist.

Forum Member

Question

UMMMMMMMM? Looks like to older folks and the young ones are at it again.

I vote not to give any thing to any countries unless we have taken care of those departments that is in need in our country first.

This means keep it at home.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe the saying is,

CHARITY STARTS AT HOME

gfpdwh

Forum Member

Originally posted by gfpdwh
    I believe the saying is,

CHARITY STARTS AT HOME

gfpdwh
    And we are the most charitable nation in the world, thank God.
    Helping the world helps ourselves.

I think gfpdwh just hit the nail on the head..

We have sayings like "FTM-PTB" in the fire service..Shouldn't we "Protect The Brothers" by giving them the equipment they need, first? Grants aren't an end all solution, and they shouldn't try to be used as such.

Forum Member

I think gfpdwh just hit the nail on the head..

We have sayings like "FTM-PTB" in the fire service..Shouldn't we "Protect The Brothers" by giving them the equipment they need, first? Grants aren't an end all solution, and they shouldn't try to be used as such.
    SO you want to give American Firefighters worn out or out dated equipment rather then give have them buy new stuff, while denying your brother firefighter in Iraq basic protection and equipment?

SO you want to give American Firefighters worn out or out dated equipment rather then give have them buy new stuff, while denying your brother firefighter in Iraq basic protection and equipment?
    No, that's not what I said.

I'm all for giving our American firefighters that are in need, the best equipment they can get through donation. Something is better then nothing, right?

Perfect example of this is what happened to our old ambulance. It wasn't road worthy by any means for Vermont winters. It was junk to us after 7 or 8 years of use. We donated it to a ambulance service in Nevada or New Mexico (I think it was one of those two), and they refurbed it, and got it working for them. It was junk to us, but with a little work, it's perfect for them.

Now I'll take this a little step further..

So let's say a department loses everything. They have a pumper donated to them, with some extra hose, maybe some spare tools, etc. The department writes up a grant for a new pumper with the bare minimums, but they only get part of what they requested. Well, now they have two trucks, and some equipment because they took in some "junk" donations.

Grants don't always come through 100% of the time. You can't depend on a grant to give you 100% of what you need.

Forum Member

Grants don't always come through 100% of the time. You can't depend on a grant to give you 100% of what you need.
    BUT, we can depend on grants a whole lot more then the flip flop wearing firefighters in Iraq! Start a drive to help the American departments by all means! But don't deny help for brother firefighter who have nothing, just because they are not Americans!

Why are we helping others, before we have what we need here though?

Forum Member

Dennis, I understand that you want to help others, and that is commendable. but we need to make sure we have all we need before we go helping others. does your department do fundraising? do you stand on a busy street corner with a boot so you can buy fuel? do you hold bingo nights so you can afford turnout gear? do you respond in a POS truck from the 70s, with 100,000 miles on it because that's all you have and you can't afford a new one? it happens all the time.

I will say, if someone else can use our junk, than by all means give it to them. just so you know, Indian firefighters fight structure fires in helmets and leather work gloves. many 3rd world countries operate this way. but we also have many departments in the US that are operating with bares bones when it comes to equipment, and others that have their members (not their citizens, thier members) put in money into the department so they can get fuel for their trucks.

helping others is great, and the US is great at that. But we (the US) are also notoriuos for giving food, money, professional services (doctors, nurses, engineers, etc), while there are starving and poor people within our borders, and where those professional service which are doing it for free will charge all of our citizen or not do the work.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    Dennis, I understand that you want to help others, and that is commendable. but we need to make sure we have all we need before we go helping others. does your department do fundraising? do you stand on a busy street corner with a boot so you can buy fuel? do you hold bingo nights so you can afford turnout gear? do you respond in a POS truck from the 70s, with 100,000 miles on it because that's all you have and you can't afford a new one? it happens all the time.

I will say, if someone else can use our junk, than by all means give it to them. just so you know, Indian firefighters fight structure fires in helmets and leather work gloves. many 3rd world countries operate this way. but we also have many departments in the US that are operating with bares bones when it comes to equipment, and others that have their members (not their citizens, thier members) put in money into the department so they can get fuel for their trucks.

helping others is great, and the US is great at that. But we (the US) are also notoriuos for giving food, money, professional services (doctors, nurses, engineers, etc), while there are starving and poor people within our borders, and where those professional service which are doing it for free will charge all of our citizen or not do the work.
    There is no one in America starving who does not have a choice. Pride can get in the way of asking for help, but it is there for the asking, just a part of why my taxes are as high as they are, but also part of why I get a deduction on them for my donations. We do help each other in this country, it is the real base of what makes this country great!

I am sure that if these needy departments would ask the bigger/wealthier ones for what surplus/retired gear they have, it would be gladly be supplied. So swallow the pride and ask. Others will help as much as they can, and sometime a little more then that! But it ****es me off to see those that ask and work on behalf of others to be ridiculed for it because it is not for Americans. Americans have tons of folks working for us, giving a little to the world community as well is nothing to be mocked.

Thread Information